Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of opening a cutesty coffee shop on shop street

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

yer man! wrote: »
    This is what starbucks do everywhere and it works very well apparently, great discounts the more you load onto the card.

Yeah, their card in the States is more like a credit card. It's more like a frequent flyer miles thing though. If you buy more you get a bonus at a certain stage. (Evergreen started doing this, but their points system is tiny).

I was thinking more low key, like a 10 coffee card that got stamped (much like visitor stamps, but you pre buy the coffee and the biz gets a boost) then you use it as a 'local' ID card, an it gives you a 'local' discount for 12 months :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Have you done much research into this OP? Because there are numerous coffee shops/cafes etc after popping up around Shop Street, most if not all have been mentioned, but seeing as you specifically said a cutesy coffee shop, Sweetie Pies, The Grain Store and An Cupán Tae are all incredibly close to Shop St, not to mention the two Bakehouses, Gourmet Tart Co., Elle's, Java, etc etc. I really don't see how their could be demand for another place with the cutesy vibe going in an area of town so densely populated with coffee shops and cafés already. McCambridges also has a bit of the café thing going now with the outdoor seating and the cupcakes/goodies.

As Madame Razz mentioned if you could replicate Claire's Tearooms it would be great, but not right in the middle of the city I don't think, hell even Eglinton Street or something would be better than Shop St., IMO. Claire's has a very high quality of food, service and style, but you do pay that bit more for it, which from what I'm reading in that thread isn't really what the majority are looking for, they're looking more for somewhere relatively low priced but for the nice basics, cup of tea, sandwich, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

I'd love something like "the central perk" in friends, nice couches, armchairs, high and low tables, good decent cheap coffee, sandwiches and scones and stuff. A coffee and sandwich deal would be good too, they do it in NUIG for €3 which is pretty good, not saying to do that but a bundle thing would be really handy and attractive. WiFi is ESSENTIAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'd love something like "the central perk" in friends, nice couches, armchairs, high and low tables, good decent cheap coffee, sandwiches and scones and stuff.

Don't forget...

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

nomno wrote: »
    any tips, comments, or suggestions?

Serve decent coffee. It's incredible how many coffee shops fail to do this. Hope it's successful for you!

• Advertisement

If you open up a new cafe, make sure it's open past 6 o clock. It's ridiculous that Javas is the only cafe that does this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

BABM, Griffins bakery is open late as well...

Seaneh wrote: »

Really? 'til what time?

I think having a cutesy coffee shop will alienate a lot of possible customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I'd love something like "the central perk" in friends, nice couches, armchairs, high and low tables, good decent cheap coffee, sandwiches and scones and stuff.
    how much was it?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I think later opening hours are the way forward, every thread on the topic of cafes throws up the topic of later opening, doesn't have to be til 3am like javas!
    somewhere to go for a cuppa after shopping and as an alternative to going for a pint.
    A big open fire would be lovely...
    Oh and have the daily papers available!

personally I think the cutesy thing has been exhausted. there is a niche for a nice relaxed tradition and cosy cafe.

my OH was in griffins for brekkie last weekend and it sounds lovely, big oul fry up, homemade brown bread and actual tea-leaves! nice seating area at the back of the shop, friendly staff and easy-going atmosphere.

I think cosy and casual is the way to go and you'll definately have a bigger market than if you went the cutesy route

Best of luck with it anyway OP, hope it goes well whatever you decide.
    keep us updated and I'll be in for a cuppa;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

inisboffin wrote: »
    Yeah, their card in the States is more like a credit card. It's more like a frequent flyer miles thing though. If you buy more you get a bonus at a certain stage. (Evergreen started doing this, but their points system is tiny).

I was thinking more low key, like a 10 coffee card that got stamped (much like visitor stamps, but you pre buy the coffee and the biz gets a boost) then you use it as a 'local' ID card, an it gives you a 'local' discount for 12 months :)
    magentas wrote: »
    I think later opening hours are the way forward, every thread on the topic of cafes throws up the topic of later opening, doesn't have to be til 3am like javas!
    somewhere to go for a cuppa after shopping and as an alternative to going for a pint.
    A big open fire would be lovely...
    Oh and have the daily papers available!

personally I think the cutesy thing has been exhausted. there is a niche for a nice relaxed tradition and cosy cafe.

my OH was in griffins for brekkie last weekend and it sounds lovely, big oul fry up, homemade brown bread and actual tea-leaves! nice seating area at the back of the shop, friendly staff and easy-going atmosphere.

I think cosy and casual is the way to go and you'll definately have a bigger market than if you went the cutesy route

Best of luck with it anyway OP, hope it goes well whatever you decide.
    keep us updated and I'll be in for a cuppa;)

Mocha Beans have what I deem a pretty good loyalty card, gets you 10% back on what you purchase.

I'll second the time thing, after spending a couple of years in the states the lack of choice to go for a coffee and some chill time in the evenings is painful. It just doesn't feel the same going into a hotel or bar as opposed to a proper coffee joint

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

value for money is key for success, but low prices is probably not possible with the high rents you will be paying in shop street

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Really? 'til what time?

Griffins were open 'til 10pm some nights each week during summer. Don't think it's a winter thing, though.

But they are still open (and willing to sell last minute birthday cakes) at 6:15pm on Wed/Thurs at least. Not sure what time they close, but I didn't get the "any minute now" feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Why doesn't someone open a proper tea house. Where you can buy all different types of teas by weight ? I loved them when I was abroad.
    Some nice comfy armchairs and wi-fi ...sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

free wifi
    cheap everything
    lovely place
    free stuff
    cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

free wifi - but seeing as its on shop street you should get a system that with every receipt it gives a key to be used so that the customer can only have 20-30min free wifi... otherwise you will have people camping outside your building making skype calls and downloading vids...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Why doesn't someone open a proper tea house. Where you can buy all different types of teas by weight ? I loved them when I was abroad.
    Some nice comfy armchairs and wi-fi ...sorted.

Probably because it wouldn't make a profit. On Shop Street the rent would be high. If someone sips a tea, spends 1/2 a hour there their footfall turnover wouldn't be very high I guess.

I'd say try to do very nice 'real' hot chocolate. Bulters are expensive but do a lot of business as it's lovely. Goyas charge something crazy for hot chocolate (€4.50 or so!).

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

I don't think you should open a coffee shop on shop street.

Market is saturated and if you have to come here looking for ideas well then you won't be unique enough to survive.

I you do decide to do it good luck...

I am interested in hearing the OP's own ideas though...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

DRakE wrote: »
    free wifi
    cheap everything
    lovely place
    free stuff
    cheap

How does this business model deliver enough money to pay rent, staff etc and deliver a profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Seaneh wrote: »

They do awful, awful coffee though. Pity, because it's really nice in there.

Was in there one day and asked for a mocha, the girl serving said 'uhh.. that's a plain black coffee, right?' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

moonflower wrote: »
    They do awful, awful coffee though. Pity, because it's really nice in there.

Was in there one day and asked for a mocha, the girl serving said 'uhh.. that's a plain black coffee, right?' :rolleyes:

I normally only get a pot of tea with a pastry when I go in. I don't trust the coffee in most places in town!

McCambridges, Eight in the museum, the little shop beside the new fish and chip shop, what's about it... The filter coffee is An Tobar Nua is decent when you factor in free refills, free wifi and the arm chairs in the quiet room :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

Dont. Galway city center doesnt need any more coffe shops/fast food take aways especially not the cutesey kind.

Mind you a Spanish type cafe that opens late would be good. Coffee, small selection of beer/wine, small bites, maybe tapas - and tapas that ranges from 1,2,3,4 euro each, not ridiculously over priced.

Theres enough places that sell coffee, so id say youd have to have something else that galway doesnt have to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

dinneenp wrote: »
    On Shop Street the rent would be high.
    Thats an understatement to be honest, rents in Ireland generally are outrageous, it's really crippling small businesses.

I'd like to see some sort of an asian themed tea house, there are a huge variety of exotic blends out there, some of them going for upwards of two grand a kilo, probably a bit out of reach of the Galway market. :D Atmosphere is very important, but of course that means lots of expensive accessories, maybe get some of those over-the-shoulder coffee servers, whatever they are called. Asian tea, Arabic coffee, and a nice old-style atmosphere.

To be honest I'd probably wait till the recession is over to try something like that however, shops are opening and closing all over the place constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I always thought a Waffle or Pancake house (similar to Mr. Waffle I guess but more diverse) would do well, depending on where it got situated in the town, and provided they did them right and weren't cheaping out on the quality of the ingredients - a more upmarket version of the IHOP I guess.
    Although pricing the menu would be difficult so as not to shock people into reacting such as "€6 for a fu**ing pancake?!..." and walking on...

Advertisement