Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Adventure Race 18/6/2011

Options
  • 17-01-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey,

Is anybody doing the Glendalough race this year?

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 5 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    60%
    kuro2kThisRegardformer 3 votes
    3 stars (average)
    40%
    jedistevDogSlySmile 2 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Jewelsmousey

Hey - I might do it but its not til the end of the year isn't it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

4 stars (good)
    It's one of the earlier ones this year, April 16th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Jewelsmousey

is it this one?

http://glendaloughtrail.com/race-info.php

You should have a look at the Wicklow Gaol race too - the course looks challenging enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

This is the WAR site.

There are three WARs this year, April, June and September

http://www.wicklowadventurerace.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

Doing WAR Glendalough this year. Never did this course before but looks challenging especially the 2nd run at Djouce mountain. 2nd cycle looks tough too but is short (8km). The cycle will take a lot of the legs for the mountain run.

Did WAR Glenmalure last year - Glendalough looks something similiar. Found Glenmalure slightly tougher than GFW last year - all hills - if your not going down you going up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Definitely doing this race. It was my first adventure race last year and it got me addicted. Each of the runs are challenging both climbing and descending and the cycle from Lough Dan to the second run at Djouce is a killer.
    However, the scenery is fantastic throughout. Of the adventure races I did last year (WWR, GF, Achill Roar and WAR 2) my OH and kids reckoned it was the most spectator friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Signed up for WAR Glendalough. Had a shocker of a run around Djouce last time which was supposed to be where I'd pull back a few places from the cyclists/triathletes. Don't know if I was just wrecked from the climb up to Lough Tay or just sh1te in general on the bike. Big plan this year was to start cycling with some regularity. Hasn't happened yet. 3 months of training left I suppose!

Have a score with an IMRA rival to settle! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I will be sad to miss this one, as I have different aims this year. Both war events last year were brilliantly tough. The runs on this one were killer but I hear the djouce has been softened slightly. Totally recommend it, and dont be afraid to go expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

I'm in - after eight years of just running, I'm in need of something a bit different, so I'm getting used to a bit of cycling now. Must try and find some proper hills to train on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

If I can get running again I'd definitely like to sign up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Myself and one of the lads did the sport last year. We're going to chance the full thing this year, It'll be tough but hopefully well worth it. We've done GF twice so hopefully this won't hurt too much more.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Q7 wrote: »
    Did WAR Glenmalure last year - Glendalough looks something similiar. Found Glenmalure slightly tougher than GFW last year - all hills - if your not going down you going up!

I thought the cycle on the glenmalure race last year was like the inverse of that Heineken ad where the guy cycles down the hill to buy beer then leaves the shop and cycles down hill home :) Didnt help that I was on a mountain bike!

Have entered the sport class for WAR Glendalough. Think I will probably have a heart attack on the steps up the spink!

I have to say though I am dissappointed that theres no discount offered for entering more than one race and also dissappointed in the €4.40 booking charge on the €55 entry. Entering races is becoming v expensive and its making me think of entering less!

The support on the Glendalough race last year was good (powerbar sweets and drinks), less so on the second one in Glenmalure, but they did say they were deliberately doing less hand holding that time. :) The shirt was good too for both events. For an event which can take anything from 3.5 -6 hours the entry fee is about right, I thought. But agree once you plan a few events the cost gets a bit much.

4 stars (good)
    They have discounts for their Hellfire Duathlon series. I did the Hellfire last year and found it great fun, less so on the cycle back to the Hellfire carpark second time around.

As for Glenmalure, I did the sport after doing expert Achill only a couple of weeks beforehand and Gaelforce before that so wanted something handy. I remember thinking as I peaked Shay Eliot that the cycle wasn't that bad at all actually, doubt the same applies for the expert cycle.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They have discounts for their Hellfire Duathlon series. I did the Hellfire last year and found it great fun, less so on the cycle back to the Hellfire carpark second time around.

As for Glenmalure, I did the sport after doing expert Achill only a couple of weeks beforehand and Gaelforce before that so wanted something handy. I remember thinking as I peaked Shay Eliot that the cycle wasn't that bad at all actually, doubt the same applies for the expert cycle.
    No. Stronger cyclists didnt mind Sliabh Mann, but I found it awful, just bloody endless. :) And I bonked on the last one coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Just did the short WAR last year,Great Event, returning for the full main event this year.

Looking forward to it, well except for this CAT 1 climb in the second cycle leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Oryx wrote: »
    No. Stronger cyclists didnt mind Sliabh Mann, but I found it awful, just bloody endless. :) And I bonked on the last one coming back.

Funny how ya never hear a word in your life and then ya hear it about 10 times in the one day! Ive never experienced "bonking" before and from what ive heard, I never want to either!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

This race along with the west wicklow roar were my 2 favourate last year.
    Its really well organised, beautiful course and at 55 euro is much better value than GF. Having some of the best weather of the year for WAR glendalough also helped, it was baking:)

Last year they had free tea/coffie/sports drinks/sandwiches/fruit at the end and they also had a team of physios doing massage. Hopefully they will all be there again this year.

Ill be doing this WAR again anyway, all i have to do now is start training:)

4 stars (good)
    The tea and sambo people are always a welcome sight at the end of the ROAR and WAR events aren't they ! Unfortunately I'll miss the West Wicklow ROAR this year due to a wedding, was looking forward to it lots too.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

I have a wedding the same day as the Achill Roar - :( Was my favorite race last year so v dissappointed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I have one same day as gaelforce! I'm doing it and driving back for the wedding!!! Not missing out on this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

I did the Achill Expert and died on the bike. Slowed down horrifically towards the end. In contrast I had no expectations for WAR Glenmalure but actually had a great second cycle (Slieve Mann (sp?)). Just took it handy the whole way around instead of going off too fast at the start.

4 stars (good)
    I did the Achill Expert and died on the bike.

You and I think everyone else bar the winners, the cycle was horrific because of the wind and there was no respite on the downhill back towards the finish. I was out on my own for most of it with nobody to help or hide behind for a while until close to the finish, and what a difference it makes being in a group, so much easier.

I intend to tame that beast this year, but I'll probably cry if it's windy again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

[QUOTE= I'll probably cry if it's windy again.[/QUOTE]

SNAP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Are the cycles for the Hellfire races all on the road? What bike is normally used, cyclocross?

4 stars (good)
    The Hellfire last year was on road, I don't think the course is up for the other two are up on the site at the moment but I would say they're also on road.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 tommysparks

the cycle maps are on the website. all 3 are road cycles

http://hellfire.wicklowadventurerace.com/

4 stars (good)
    But they show the same cycle for each one, I just wasn't sure if that was correct or if it's just the run that varies but the cycle remains the same for each race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

But they show the same cycle for each one, I just wasn't sure if that was correct or if it's just the run that varies but the cycle remains the same for each race.

The cycle is the same for all three. The trail runs all start/finish on the same cycle loop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Mumford

Did this last year. One of the best races of the year. Signed up for this year. Really well organised. Weather was amazing - clear blue skies and cool. Running along Spink and through the Miner's Village was the highlight for me. The cycle up to the Djouce car park was murder. The Djouce run was tough but again the scenery up there was fantastic. Cycle through Glenmacnass fantastic if a little hairy dodging the potholes. The finishing line at the Upper car park at Glendalough had a great buzz at the end - family, friends etc there. Well worth travelling up from Cork

Advertisement