Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Adventure Race 18/6/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

How does the Djouce run compare to the Spink run?

Which is worse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Here are the profiles.

http://glendalough.wicklowadventurerace.com/index.php/course/djouce-run/
    Distance: 9.5km. Meters climbed: 450m.

http://glendalough.wicklowadventurerace.com/index.php/course/spink-run/
    Distance: 8.6km Meters Climbed: 575m

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mumford

CKWPORT wrote: »

Which is worse?

The seemingly endless steps up the Spink are tough going, but I found the Djouce run harder because of earlier exertions

Cheers lads, did the sports one last year, so I know how bad Spink is, I found it torture in the heat!

Djouce will probably end up feeling a lot worse doing the full, as I will be well tired by the time I get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Which is worse?
    Unless youre a strong runner youll more than likely be walking up both hills so a bit of hiking in training will help. I'd say Spink is tougher but your start of race excitement will get you to the top in no time then its the fun part, downhill on the sleepers followed by a rocky zig zag path down to the mine. I'd recommend doing a bit of downhill practice as you could easily go over on an ankle here.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Which is worse?
    The steps were hard on the spink, but youre fresh going into it. The 'technical' descent I found hard because Im not used to doing stuff like that. On the djouce, the first forest road bit was easy. The next off road bit was fine, but the slog up the flank of the mountain was killer. It was a long hard drag, quite steep in parts. Once at the top youll fly along the sleepers, I found that bit great.

What are people's training plans for WAR? Following triathlons plans etc?

At a bit of a loss what running training I should be doing mid week, besides the hill running at weekends.

I was thinking of following a half marathon running plan with plenty of hills.
    I figured half marathon is close enough to the total running distance, throw in some tempo/interverals etc?

I'm running four times a week but it is a bit of a headless chicken approach so far. Plan for the cycling is just to get out the bike as often as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

nerraw1111 wrote: »

At a bit of a loss what running training I should be doing mid week, besides the hill running at weekends.

I was thinking of following a half marathon running plan with plenty of hills.
    I figured half marathon is close enough to the total running distance, throw in some tempo/interverals etc?

I'm running four times a week but it is a bit of a headless chicken approach so far. Plan for the cycling is just to get out the bike as often as I can.

If you do most of the imra races you'll be well sorted for the hill run stages of WAR. You could make them into brick like sessions by cycling to and or from such races if you are a real sucker for punishment.

Yeah will look to cycle to some of the races.

Just wondering what to do during the week on the road, away from the hills to add a bit of speed etc. So that's what I was thinking of following a half marathon plan. Or maybe even a 10k plan

nerraw1111 wrote: »

Not going to follow any particular plan in training, I have a duathlon next month and another in March, so those should be good prep!

Running wise I will probably mostly be running flat 12kms till then, maybe longer, my shins play up big time on hills so I avoid training on them! Will try get 2 hill sessions in before WAR tho!

Cycling, will just keep spinning away with the local club and try get a few brick sessions in at the weekends if possible!

This cat 1 climb is a worry tho! Nothing where I live that tough to train on, except for the Maam, which some of you will remember from sea 2 summit!! But that's only a cat 4!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

This cat 1 climb is a worry tho! Nothing where I live that tough to train on, except for the Maam, which some of you will remember from sea 2 summit!! But that's only a cat 4![/QUOTE]

The really steep sections are actually quite short so if you're struggling you could always hop off and jog with your bike. It's unlikely you'd drop back too many places. I had to do this at one point last year (for bout 200m) and wasn't overtaken by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nem_e

If you do most of the imra races you'll be well sorted for the hill run stages of WAR. You could make them into brick like sessions by cycling to and or from such races if you are a real sucker for punishment.

Oh God i've just realised how much of a grip running and multi_sport races are having on me after reading your post Slogger. A year ago seeing people arrive at IMRA races on the bike i taught they where mad. After reading your post i was thinking thats a great idea :), AHHHH :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fishboy1974

Did War Sport last year at Glendalough, full WAR Glenmalure and the Sea 2 Summit in Westport, all about survival last year, this year the plan was to get the times down, reading these posts i'm going back to survival mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Don B

Looking to do the WAR Glendalough event on April 16th, going to be my first
    event of this type. Have done half marathons in the past, but nothing similar
    to this.

Can a mountain bike with slick tyres be used effectively, or should I look into
    getting a racing bike for the event. Obviously not going to be setting any
    records with it being my first event, just want to be able to manage the
    cycling section.

Thanks for any suggestions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

Don B wrote: »
    cycling section.
    Did WAR Glenmalure last year - WAR Glendalough has even longer cycle and some hills are even steeper. All of WAR Glenmalure was on tarmac roads except a small section that you had to walk with a road bike. Assume Glendalough is the same. I'd get a road bike if you could. Pushing a mountain bike even with slicks will add to the pain of hills - even on a road bike last year I found WAR Glenmalure cycle very tough.
    Only 10 more weeks before this race :eek: - time to start upping the training I think from this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Don B wrote: »
    Looking to do the WAR Glendalough event on April 16th, going to be my first
    event of this type. Have done half marathons in the past, but nothing similar
    to this.

cycling section.

Thanks for any suggestions ;)

A mountain bike with slicks will certainly be enough to get you around the course comfortably. However, if you want to get your best possible result/time, then a road bike would be a lot better. It's your choice as to whether being somewhat faster on the bike is worth the expense of buying another bike (or the bother of borrowing one). I'm assuming its a reasonable mountain bike (proper cross country bike, not a freeride bike, not a cheapy heavy as a tank bike-shaped-object!).

For reference, there are no off-road section in the Glendalogh WAR. A road bike can be cycled over 100% of the course without a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Took a spin around spink today and I'm just wondering is it my imagination or has the path down along the mines changed a bit over the winter? Lovely day for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

Hi,

Just looking for some information and thought on the race in Glendalough. I was looking at the website for the race and i am thinking about doing and i am wondering could some of you help me out on some questions I have :

1. I did Gaelforce last year, is this a comparable race in terms of the cycle ?
    2. What is a CAT 1 ?

I haven't done any cycling since Gaelforce as I just have been concentrating on my running. Is there any program available for training for the cycling, or is it a case of just get out and do it.

I am not too concern about the running as i have done a fair few mountain races.

I have no finish time in mind either. (as of yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

greenplain wrote: »
    1. I did Gaelforce last year, is this a comparable race in terms of the cycle ?
    2. What is a CAT 1 ?

Did WAR Glenmalure & GaleForce last year. WAR Glendalough is something similar to WAR Glenmalure. I have to say I found the hills much tougher in WAR than Gaelforce. Only one real hill to talk about in Gaelforce cycle - though the off-road bit was worse on Gaelforce but you won't have that problem in WAR. The cycle is also a bit longer that Gaelforce but most of the last 20km is downhill. Suggest you just get out there and do a few cycles over the next few weekends. Just extend the miles each time and you'll be ready for it. Try to do routes that have hills.

CAT 1 refrers to the catorgy of the mountain cycle climb. Parts of the 2nd cycle are 10% gradient (i.e. very steep to cycle) which the organisers have classed as CAT 1 - but it's only for a couple of kms (could even walk it if needed) and the total assent is 284m. For Tour de France a CAT 1 climb would about 1000m climb over a steep gradient so we're a long way of that level :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Fi H wrote: »
    Took a spin around spink today and I'm just wondering is it my imagination or has the path down along the mines changed a bit over the winter? Lovely day for it :D

The real experts on that trail tell me that it landslided a bit over winter. Presumably the National Park will put all the pieces together again. If they don't, then all the better :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Just wondering do they close the spinc to opposite direction traffic on the day of the race? Was up there today and met a million scouts coming against me, was a fun dance on and off the boardwalk the whole time.

Also is there a boardwalk etiquite? Do you get out of the way of people who come up behind you faster or do they have to overtake you in their own way? or is it just a free for all :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Last year you only got out of the way if you were being nice or very slow. :) My strategy was to run faster with someone behind me. As I was a backmarker it wasnt much of and issue on the spink, and everyone is fresh and working hard then, but on the djouce I yelled 'coming thru' and the walkers, and slower runners stepped down to let me past, mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 yoigo

thinking about doing a race like WAR any recomendations for a first timer?

only been doing running ever... never done much cycling and ive got a city slash mountain bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Guys, anyone able to tell me how you get to the spink boardwalk to do a bit of training??

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

thehamo wrote: »
    Guys, anyone able to tell me how you get to the spink boardwalk to do a bit of training??

Cheers.

Park at the upper car park in Glendalough. Take the path up past by waterfall, take the forest track around to the right bout 150m past top of waterfall. follow track until you meet an opening in the conifer forest with sleeper steps-follow steps to the top of Spink. The boardwalk leads you about half way round the valley. this is followed by stone or gravel trails and the last 1 or 2 kms is on the old miners road.
    Its a fantastic place. enjoy:)

Its easy enough to find. Head to Glendalough, either park in the main carpark or the one by the upper lake.

You'll see the signs for the loop. Well sign posted. Its the white route you're looking for.

http://tcs.ireland.ie/dataland/TCSAttachments/8_failteglendalough.pdf

http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/WalkingTrails.html

If you're going to check out the boardwalk, might be no harm and do the whole loop and have a look at the technical descent. Essentially same distance if you double back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

great stuff thanks. Might try check it out at the weekend if I can!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gear Freak

Signed up for WAR Sport in Glendalough. Really looking forward to it now. I'm going to try the Spink this weekend and if I have the stones I might try the cycle as well.

I'm not looking forward to the cycle out of Lough Dan.

Can anyone recommend the best way to get some paddle practice in?

Does anyone have any suggestions for food consumption on the day? Should i have a big fry up or just some celery? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭fluboy

I wouldn’t spend too much time worrying about the canoe section. I think you’re better off spending your time training for the run section and the bike legs.

Keep away from the dreaded fry till maybe the next day as a special reward. I find a nice big bowl of porridge, mixed with honey and banana works and gives you plenty of energywithout making you feel bloated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Q7 wrote: »
    Did WAR Glenmalure last year - WAR Glendalough has even longer cycle and some hills are even steeper. All of WAR Glenmalure was on tarmac roads except a small section that you had to walk with a road bike. Assume Glendalough is the same. I'd get a road bike if you could. Pushing a mountain bike even with slicks will add to the pain of hills - even on a road bike last year I found WAR Glenmalure cycle very tough.
    Only 10 more weeks before this race :eek: - time to start upping the training I think from this weekend.

Hmmmmm, the bike route in Glenmalure is much tougher than Glendalough IMO, regardless of distance, two big tough climbs in glenmalure. The only tough climbs in Glendalough are short and sharp - climb out of lough Dan, and the Climb up to transition at Lugalla. The last climb up into Sallygap is more of a drag coming from the lugalla side but is certainly no fun if youve blown your beans on Djouce :-\

Road bike is the only way for both WAR races, clip on Aero bars for Glendalough WAR would add significant advantage for the home stretch from Sallygap crossroads back past glenmacnass and into laragh to the finish,

Advertisement