Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Adventure Race 18/6/2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

There's sleepers on the spink run too, ain't there? Steps up the hill, and it's not easy pass people out going up them unless someone steps aside. For the sport race you wouldn't want to get stuck in traffic here, hard to gain time after.

Completely forgot about sleepers on the spinc! Lol. Crap

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Completely forgot about sleepers on the spinc! Lol. Crap
    haha no probs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Endurance races are not won on the first climb. They can easily be lost there though. Don't panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Just got an email about route changes:
    The first change is to the Djouce run which is only on the Full Distance Course.
    You will be taking a left turn after crossing the stile after descending off White Hill (about 6km into the run). After ~100m you then turn right after passing through fence and follow the markings to join with the Wicklow Way trail and return to the Lough Tay Transition area. This will reduce the climb and distance a little on this section.

Final transition at Laragh GAA
    The final transition will be at race carpark in the Laragh GAA grounds. This allows the scenic trail run along the stream up to the Upper Lake to finish, where you started. This change to both WAR Full and Sport Courses will also help keep competitors away from the normal tourist traffic in Glendalough.
    When returning into Laragh village you turn left at Lynams Hotel and return to the new transition area where the race car park is located.
    There you will rack your bikes and return to the Finish adjacent to the Upper Glendalough Lake by foot instead of by bike.
    This run is 3.5km along a relatively flat (30m of climb) good quality trail known as the Green Road.
    A complimentary shuttle bus will operate subject to usual local area traffic delays to return you to the car park after the event if you don't want to walk back and cheer other competitors along the Green Road as we would encourage you to do.

This final run will also give a chance for any of your "supporters" to see and support you on your way to the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

That'll be a hard last 3.5k, if it's lined with supporters though, it could be a great boost!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭fluboy

Good news about the finish. The 3.5 k run is a great addition.

Not too sure about the changes in the Djouce run. Seems like they have taken the best bit of run away. The views coming down from Djouce are spectacular. According to my memory and my Garmin it’s only a very short accent of between 10 and 20 meters extra and now we miss out on the view over Lough Dan. Pity.

However, if it’s anything like last year it will be a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Put your smiles on after the spink stairs. I'll be up on the boardwalk with the camera.

fluboy wrote: »

Not too sure about the changes in the Djouce run. Seems like they have taken the best bit of run away. The views coming down from Djouce are spectacular. According to my memory and my Garmin it’s only a very short accent of between 10 and 20 meters extra and now we miss out on the view over Lough Dan. Pity.

However, if it’s anything like last year it will be a great day.

Was thinking that myself about the view over Lough Dan.

I heard PeterX insisted on the new route down from Djouce. Didn't want anyone to top his 'iconic' photo from last year's race, which will adourn this year's WAR jersey. What a jerk. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

3 stars (average)
    fluboy wrote: »

So to clarify.... the sport is now a:

8.6k run
    15k cycle
    2k kayak
    15k cycle
    and a 3.5k run???????

and there was me only planning on changing shoes once! :eek:

I never got the email, hope i'm still down on the competitor list and haven't been missed for some reason. :eek:

Injured my calve muscle this week, its slowly getting better, hope to be right for WAR, not going to get a whole lot of running done before it now though. My Cycling is a good level anyways, but I had hoped to improve the running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

We have been required by the National Parks to impose a trail shoe/boot only rule

Are Brooks Adrenaline GTS ok? i would rather not have to go and buy an other pair of runners...

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Anyone else looking forward to this - missed it last year with the ash but really looking forward to smashing myself on the course this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Adi CkonSh

So to clarify.... the sport is now a:

8.6k run
    15k cycle
    2k kayak
    15k cycle
    and a 3.5k run???????

and there was me only planning on changing shoes once! :eek:

I think the second cycle will now only be 11.5k as you'll be stopping in Laragh and running back to glendalough car park. That last run is going to hurt. :rolleyes:

What tyres are people going for?

I normally use gator skins but that was down to not bothering to change them after Gaelforce where they were needed.

The roads aren't too bad but is there anything to be gained from using road tyres with a risk of puncture versus what time you may lose using gator skins?

Tyres, I normally use Michelin Erilium Kevlar ones, they have got me through the bad off road sections in other races.

No off road in this though, so I think any tyre should be ok, shouldn't it?

I did the sports last year, and the roads are pretty good, only a few bits where there were some loose chip, but thats any road in this country.

I got a new Trek earlier this year, and it came with bontrager fairly slick tyres, I am leaving them on for it, I don't think they are kevlar. Hopefully I will be sound. I don't really fancy buying new tyres for a new bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

I'm going to leave the gaitor skins on for WAR. I cycled up to the Sally Gap a few times recently and there glass in places on the road close to the entrance to the Guinness estate at Lough Tay. It looks like there were quite a few break in's to cars over the weekend so there is a risk of punctures in this area. I've had punctures in this area before too as the break in's are fairly common where hillwalkers leave their cars parked along the roadsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nem_e

I cycled the route at the weekend and ended up with a puncture due to glass on the road about 4km from Laragh village, (Gatorskins).

I'd noticed a lot more glass in places unfortunately I missed it that time due to having a quick glance behind me.

There was a few very surprised and probably scared car drivers who witnessed a strange fellow on the side of the road with his hands shoved down his shorts, I apologies if you were affected but I was trying to warm my hands up.

This happened to me on gatorskins two weeks at Sally Gap.
    154215.JPG

How much time would you lose using gators versus normal slicks?

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    How much time would you lose using gators versus normal slicks?

I do a good bit of cycling and I honestly haven't a clue, I would guess its minimal to be honest. Maybe its a question best answered by the folk in the cycling forum if you don't get an answer here.

I was in a duathlon 2 weeks ago now, and there was an offroad section, a lad in our club ripped the tire wall on a Gatorskin, he did the same one week earlier practicing the route on another gatorskin. I never used gators, but this has totally put me off them anyways, and I will stick with the Michelin Erilium's for events that require us to take our racers offroad.

But, its still slicks for WAR.

Recce'd the new route on Djouice yesterday evening and I really liked the change. It takes away the great views of Lough Tay but the new trail is a far more interesting run than the sleepers. Its undulating and brings you through some woods and then onto some cleared forest. Managed to run the entire circuit without having to walk for the first time too, which felt great.:D
    On the down side I returned to the start to find my car had been broken into and damage done.:(

• Advertisement

That good running. Sorry to hear about the car. I was also up there yesterday evening. Nearly got blown off the boardwalk a couple of times with the strength of the wind.

First time to take in the new section of the run too, but I hated it. It’s not a patch on the old route, unless you like looking at chopped down trees and tracks left by heavy machinery. I was hoping that nobody would like it so they would change it back next year.

so is it fair to say that the changes to the Djouce run have made it a bit easier?
    I only did the sport last year, so have no idea what the Djouce run last year was like.

I care not for nice views when in a race, I wouldn't even notice them, running through the woods is fine with me.

That sickening that there are buggers breaking into cars up there when people are off training. :mad:

Not sure about the view points.

I find a great view just as refreshing as a downhill section, lifts the spirit a bit and takes your mind off the pain for a brief moment.

There appears to be lot of break ins up there, particularly on the other side of the forest, at the Ballinastoe MTB trails, which is only a five minute drive away. http://www.epicmtb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12084

Suppose just make sure there is nothing on your seats etc.

I had a nice spin over Howth Head last night on my new steed. Wind along Clontarf was a b'stard tho

CKWPORT wrote: »
    so is it fair to say that the changes to the Djouce run have made it a bit easier?

I suppose it is a tiny bit easier, but not much. You still have to do the hard part of getting up the back of Djouce.

CKWPORT wrote: »
    QUOTE]

I wouldn't say it's any easier it's just that there is more variation to the run now. Rather than continuing along sleepers in single file for the last couple of km's you're diverted onto different types of trails.
    I actually like running in cleared forest. There were sections of the Ticknock run and the Annagh Hill run in this years IMRA Winter League that were on felled woodland and most runners really seemed to enjoy these (apart from Enduro's unfortunate accident). Its more interesting as you've got to concentrate on every foothold rather than thinking about how knackered you are or any of the other things that preoccupy runners minds.

Sounds good, looking forward to it, really hope I am fit to do it now, am 50/50 at the moment as I hurt my calve in a duathlon over a week ago now.

Will be sickened if I miss this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fishboy1974

Did the race course on Sunday bar Kayak and final run. We did Djouce as it was prior to changes last week, the new route how much does it reduce the Djouce run by? Thanks

According to my Garmin the Djouce run before the changes was 9.13Km. The run yesterday on the new course was 8.69 Km. So its .44 Km shorter

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sofacanslow

I too have run the original Djouce route and the amended one in the last two weeks. I reckon the average runner will only save a minute or two at most.

Didn't like the new part at all. Fair enough the elite guys and gals are not going to be too interested in the Lough Tay view but for the rest of us mere mortals I reckon it was one of the real highlights last year and excluding it this year is a step backwards unless you prefer tree trunks and dead branches in a cut down forest!

• Advertisement

I'm planning on doing a training run/recce on the full course on Saturday morning. Does anyone know if it is safe to leave your bike locked at the upper carpark in Glendalough?

Advertisement