Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Adventure Race 18/6/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I would say so. There's a man to take money off people, and you could leave your bike near his hut. Just my opinion, but it'd never cross my mind to worry about a locked bike there.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Adi CkonSh

Latest info by email from WAR. Sounds like those of us living outside the Pale are overseas these days! There's no way I'll make 9,30pm after work with a 4 hour drive from work to Glendalough.:mad: Anyone know how insistent they are about checking in yourself?

Sign-on for the '53Degrees North WAR: Glendalough' will start on Monday at 6pm in 53Degrees North's Carrickmines store.

Sign-on details and times
    Monday 6pm - Thursday 8pm: 53Degrees North's Carrickmines store, just off the M50.
    Friday 5pm - 9:30pm: Glendalough Hotel, Glendalough.
    Saturday: there will be no Saturday sign-on.
    Note: you have to sign-on in person, you can't get someone to sign-on for you. Competitors traveling from overseas can arrange Saturday morning sign-on by emailing paul.mahon@irealnd.com

[We have two registration locations and registration will be open for 5 days, so you’ve no excuse not to make registration. (comment from the faqs).

Found this in the FAQs too, incase you haven't seen it. Had only planned on getting down at 8.30 as my wave isn't till 9.15 :D

In response to competitors requests we are making the bike transition area at TA1 available for bike racking for a longer period on Saturday morning only between 6am and 8.30. There will be No Bike Drop Off or Racking on Friday night!
    As those starting in the 8am wave will be returning to the Transition area shortly after 8.30 there will be no further access to the transition area to rack bikes after 8.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

1. Registration now only available from next Monday April 11th - NOT Friday 8th as had been previously advised

2. NO bike drop-off on FRIDAY night, as had been previously advised. Saturday morning ONLY

3. TA1 still looks to be the Start/Finish BUT any gear left in competitor bags will be moved to the Glendalough location (I presume TA4) once all the cyclists have left for Lough Dan. So if I understand it, we will finish at the Upper Lake Car Park (after the 3.5km run along Green Road) BUT any gear we may want to change into will be back at TA4 (?) {Or do we now finish at TA4 instead :confused:}

I am sure there are reasons why these changes were necessary, but today's email should have made these changes very clear.

The logistics between the various locations is still a little unclear to me especially if trying to arrange family viewing locations :confused:

I think your bike will be left at TA4 but the actual race finish will be TA1 on foot, no bikes at TA1 after you've picked it up on the way out so no need to keep the bike racks there I guess.

Adi CkonSh wrote: »
    I think your bike will be left at TA4 but the actual race finish will be TA1 on foot, no bikes at TA1 after you've picked it up on the way out so no need to keep the bike racks there I guess.

Bikes will be left at TA4 (Laragh) BUT any clothes you may want to change into at the end of the race will have been moved from TA1 back to "Glendalough" (although surely they mean back to TA4 - but this is not clear)

From the FAQ
    "As we will be dismantling the bike transition at the Upper Glendalough Carpark as soon as competitors leave on their bikes going to Lough Dan to make the car park available to other park users. If you do leave any gear behind you at this transition area it MUST be in a bag or box marked clearly with your name and race numbers. These will be set aside and available for collection at Glendalough no later than 3pm."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Apologies if anything is unclear

Any gear left at TA1 ( Upper Glendalough Car Park) will be still at TA1 (~ 100m from Race Finish Line) for your collection after the race. TA1 will be cleared of bike racks as soon as bike have departed to allow other visitors access to the car park.

Last year we did not turn anyone away that missed the official closing time for sign on at Glendalough Hotel on Friday night and it will be the same this year - folk were still turning up with genuine reasons at 10.30pm and were taken care of but we are trying to keep it to sensible times as it will be an early start on Sat for marshals as well as racers!

New section is now marked with white arrows and is clear of the couple of fallen trees. IMHO it is a definintely more interesting route down off the sleepers - also gives the hill runners a bit of an advantage to catch the Tri Types;)

Checkout the FAQ section for further clarification

De Man Marrey from Mayo will be making his WAR debut so he'll be the man to beat in the absence of last year's winner Enduro.
    Likely challengers are WAR Glenmalure winner Tri Newbie and WAR Glendalough second PeterX.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

I appreciate that the logistics involved in running a race like this are difficult but the WAR races really seem geared up for people from Dublin. I collected race stuff for more than myself last year to avoid this problem but it appears to be stricter this year. Personally I think it would be easier to have registration available until close of business on Friday in 53 degrees north with stragglers sat morning or late friday in glendalough.

I can think of at least 2 people who will be travelling up to dublin friday who were planning on hitting Glendalough sat morning. Without the option of dropping bikes having to drive all the way to glendalough to register seems harsh!

Would be so much easier to have someone check in for me, especially as I'll be staying in Dublin friday night to save cash, so I've to drive through Dublin, down to Glendalough back to Dublin, and then down again sat for bike drop. Anyway enough whinging, looking forward to the race, hope it's worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Another WAR email I didn't receive, getting worried now that I am not gonna see my name on the starting wave info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Another WAR email I didn't receive, getting worried now that I am not gonna see my name on the starting wave info.

Before the race last year they had entry lists on the website. Maybe they'll be doing the same again this year.

• Advertisement

Rinker wrote: »
    Before the race last year they had entry lists on the website. Maybe they'll be doing the same again this year.

I just sent a mail there to make sure there hasn't been a mix up, really looking forward to the race, I'd nearly wish it was tomorrow with this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adventurer10

Got the email about the changes from last year which is a bit confusing as I didn't Do the race last year!

Anyway have been looking at the website, have I got it right that there is 3km "warm up" and 3km "cool down" built into the event :confused:

From what i can make out for sports course:
    1. We park at Laragh GAA club
    2. "warm -up" Cyce 3km to the start line at Upper Glendalough Lake and drop bike in transiton (before 8:30am)
    3. RACE STARTS with run on spink loop
    4. Back to start/TA1 onto bikes, cycle 15km to Lough Dan
    5. 2km kayak on Lough Dan, back onto bikes.
    6. 15km cycle back to Laragh GAA car park, drop bikes.
    7. 3km run to FinIsh Line at Upper Glendalough Lake.
    8. "cool down" 3km walk back to car park at Laragh GAA.

is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

Latest info by email from WAR. Sounds like those of us living outside the Pale are overseas these days! There's no way I'll make 9,30pm after work with a 4 hour drive from work to Glendalough.:mad: Anyone know how insistent they are about checking in yourself?

Sign-on for the '53Degrees North WAR: Glendalough' will start on Monday at 6pm in 53Degrees North's Carrickmines store.

Monday 6pm - Thursday 8pm: 53Degrees North's Carrickmines store, just off the M50.
    Note: you have to sign-on in person, you can't get someone to sign-on for you. Competitors traveling from overseas can arrange Saturday morning sign-on by emailing paul.mahon@irealnd.com

[We have two registration locations and registration will be open for 5 days, so you’ve no excuse not to make registration. (comment from the faqs).

Found this in the FAQs too, incase you haven't seen it. Had only planned on getting down at 8.30 as my wave isn't till 9.15 :D

In response to competitors requests we are making the bike transition area at TA1 available for bike racking for a longer period on Saturday morning only between 6am and 8.30. There will be No Bike Drop Off or Racking on Friday night!
    As those starting in the 8am wave will be returning to the Transition area shortly after 8.30 there will be no further access to the transition area to rack bikes after 8.30.

The markers for the map above link to coolmine not carrickmines, googlemaps label problem - hopefully this way helps http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Unit+3,+The+Park,+Carrickmines,+Co.+Dublin,+Ireland+(53+Degrees+North+Carrickmines)&daddr=Glendalough,+Ireland&geocode=FWKNLAMdSLOh_yHbEaqbcGtwkA%3BFfPlKAMdEIWf_yHbA16fUNFLvQ&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=53.171473,-6.108398&sspn=0.355615,1.330719&ie=UTF8&ll=53.131118,-6.223755&spn=0.355949,1.330719&z=10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Very vague with registration times there. I just checked the 53 Degrees North website for store opening times - would I be right in thinking they close at 6 all week except for Thursday and the same applies for registration? Their email implies you can call in any time of the day or night between Monday 6pm and Thursday 8pm, but I'm guessing that's not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

3 stars (average)
    Very vague with registration times there. I just checked the 53 Degrees North website for store opening times - would I be right in thinking they close at 6 all week except for Thursday and the same applies for registration? Their email implies you can call in any time of the day or night between Monday 6pm and Thursday 8pm, but I'm guessing that's not the case.

According to the WAR facebook page 53dg north is open late all week because of some walking and mountaineering festival that is starting today in the shop. But they still dont say what time they close at :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Excuseless wrote: »
    Apologies if anything is unclear

Any gear left at TA1 ( Upper Glendalough Car Park) will be still at TA1 (~ 100m from Race Finish Line) for your collection after the race. TA1 will be cleared of bike racks as soon as bike have departed to allow other visitors access to the car park.

Last year we did not turn anyone away that missed the official closing time for sign on at Glendalough Hotel on Friday night and it will be the same this year - folk were still turning up with genuine reasons at 10.30pm and were taken care of but we are trying to keep it to sensible times as it will be an early start on Sat for marshals as well as racers!

New section is now marked with white arrows and is clear of the couple of fallen trees. IMHO it is a definintely more interesting route down off the sleepers - also gives the hill runners a bit of an advantage to catch the Tri Types;)

Checkout the FAQ section for further clarification

De Man Marrey from Mayo will be making his WAR debut so he'll be the man to beat in the absence of last year's winner Enduro.
    Likely challengers are WAR Glenmalure winner Tri Newbie and WAR Glendalough second PeterX.

Look like it will be a cracker of a race again, course is in great nick all round. Hopefully the weather will replicate both last weekend and last years race day weather....Not racing myself but will be a savage battle between PeterX and Marrey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sofacanslow

One exception to the course being in great nick is the section where you take a left turn off the Laragh to Roundwood road, heading for Lough Dan.I was on it last Saturday and it's ok for about 300mts then a section of about half a K which can only be described as shockingly bad.Road just about disappears.OK again after that but be warned!

Latest forecast this morning from Met Eireann says dry and sunny for the weekend with temps 16 -18 degrees and light easterly breeze.Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Granite Head

Anyone know till what time registration (in 53 degrees North) is open in the evenings?

Also do you need to bring all mandatory gear to registration?

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

On the WAR Facebook page it says you must bring the mandatory kit to registration!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

4 stars (good)
    Says so on the main site too, so this is what will be needed at registration
    his mandatory kit will be:

• Basic first aid kit (Minimum: 1 x Dressing Pad for heavy bleeding (field dressing); 1 x bandage, plasters)

• Survival bag or foil blanket

• Energy food and drink

• Bicycle helmet for and bike repair kit for cycling section only

• Wind/ Waterproof Top

• Advertisement

• Wind/ Waterproof Top???
    Is that mandatory or depending on the weather we can leave it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Anyone know till what time registration (in 53 degrees North) is open in the evenings?

Also do you need to bring all mandatory gear to registration?

Times are now listed on their website (http://glendalough.wicklowadventurerace.com/).

Monday 11th 6.00pm – 8.00pm
    Tuesday 12th 10.00am – 6.00pm
    Wednesday 13th 10.00am – 6.00pm
    Thursday 14th 10.00am – 8.00pm
    AT: 53 Degrees North Store in Carrickmines

Friday 16th : Glendalough Hotel, Laragh, Co Wicklow. 5pm-9.30pm.

And you do need to bring the mandatory kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

4 stars (good)
    CKWPORT wrote: »
    • Wind/ Waterproof Top???
    Is that mandatory or depending on the weather we can leave it out?

The list has changed slightly since I last looked at it, it's here
    http://glendalough.wicklowadventurerace.com/index.php/registration/

They're mandatory for now but come Friday evening the final list will be published as they'll have a better idea of how the weather is going to be.

Although I've always brought a wind proof top with me and wore it every race bar WAR Glenmalure last year as I find I can get fairly cool on some of the cycle sections so find it handy to just throw on.

The registration page gives 0730 as the cut-off time.
    "Please do rack you bike in the upper lake transition early. Open from 6.30 to 7.30am on race day and from 6pm until midnight on Friday night."

HOWEVER the FAQ clearly states that bikes can be left at TA1 up to 0830.
    "In response to competitors requests we are making the bike transition area at TA1 available for bike racking for a longer period on Saturday morning only between 6am and 8.30."

As the registration page entry still refers to Friday night racking, I presume that this page has not been updated by the organisers, yet.

Would be great to get this clarified and corrected.

Daithi BC wrote: »
    And you do need to bring the mandatory kit.

You do NOT have to bring mandatory kit to registration. Registered last night and obviously little value in having to show your kit 5 days before the race.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They're mandatory for now but come Friday evening the final list will be published as they'll have a better idea of how the weather is going to be.

Although I've always brought a wind proof top with me and wore it every race bar WAR Glenmalure last year as I find I can get fairly cool on some of the cycle sections so find it handy to just throw on.

I will be packing a waterproof top and a windproof gillet, which is a lot smaller. Depending on the weather Saturday morning, I will decide which to bring if its left up to us.

If the waterproof top remains mandatory, I will squeeze it into the camelbak somewhere.

Oldlegs wrote: »
    You do NOT have to bring mandatory kit to registration. Registered last night and obviously little value in having to show your kit 5 days before the race.

Maybe not. When I was registering last year, I was asked for the survival blanket and 1st aid kit. I registered on the Friday evening. Will be doing the same this year.

Registration page states that you need to have your race number visable even if you put on an extra top during the cycle and for that reason you will get TWO numbers at registration.

Only one number given out at registration so need to double check whether you need to still have the number showing if you put on a Gillet.

{Enough posts from me for now - in a very slow meeting with nothing happening ;)}

Oldlegs wrote: »

Registered last night and did NOT have to show mandatory kit. Asked and was confirmed that mandatory kit NOT required to be shown at registration (although there was a little check-box beside your signature)

But just checked Facebook page and looks like official WAR statement is that kit IS required.

Better to bring it with you to be safe than sorry, but no one checking kit last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Should be a great race, the new finishing run could lead to high drama if anyone starts cramping:)
    Thanks trinewbie for the vote of confidence but it's a bit early in the year for me, we'll give it the oul best shot all the same!
    Fair play to Paul and Brian, they asked for feedback and then made changes based upon it.
    (i gave no feedback :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Granite Head

Registered at lunch time and they were not checking mandatory kit

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

Advertisement