Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Adventure Race 18/6/2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Peterx wrote: »
    Should be a great race, the new finishing run could lead to high drama if anyone starts cramping:)
    QUOTE]

So what's the best strategy to avoid cramping? Bring diorlyte in water bottle? Take it during the week in lead up to event? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

4 stars (good)
    After a bout in Gaelforce last year, I found a mixture of Nuuns and diorlyte does it for me, either that or it's just coincidental I never had a casesince, Gaelforce was my one and only time I got cramps, never want to experience them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

3 stars (average)
    Rinker wrote: »
    So what's the best strategy to avoid cramping? Bring diorlyte in water bottle? Take it during the week in lead up to event? :confused:

In Achill Roar I drank dioralyte on the morning of the race and brought some in a bottle to drink during the race. Still cramped like bi@tch though so I'll start drinking it on Friday for WAR..... fingies crossed! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I drink some nuun tablets 2 days before the event. Will be covered in salt at the end but its worked out good so far for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

3 stars (average)
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who wont be getting any kayak practice before WAR (eh, I hope!), so has anyone any good tips-video's-websites etc. detailing proper/efficient kayak stroke?

Cheers,
    DSS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Adi CkonSh

Thanks Oldlegs, I'm so glad you saw that the friday night racking was still on the site this morning, asked on the facebook page and they asked me where as it was wrong, went back on and couldn't find it, thought I was going crazy!

Registered yesterday evening. Very quick and simple process. The jersey looks great too. Much better than I was expecting from the image on the website. Really looking forward to the event now. Just got to pick up my gels, nuuns and practice my War Face. Raarrrrrr. Bring on Saturday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Will be registering later today, think I'll just bring my kit just to be sure :).

Did the course yesterday and its still looking fun if we get a dry day on Sat. That small section of road just after the turn off the roundwood main road on the way to LD is aweful imo.
    Couldn't figure out which was worse though, back wheel spinning going up or eyes closed and praying on the way back (sport course) :eek:

For cramp I'm drinking 1 dioralyte a day and stretching as much as possible till race day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

for cycling shorts are people wearing bib shorts or just under shorts e.g the DHB ones you'd wear under trackies if cycling to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

tri-shorts are probably best for both run/cycle if you can get hold of them. Has smaller amount of padding than normal cycle shorts but are fine for running too. Used them on other adventure races last year and found them good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

seanie500 wrote: »

You'd usually wear another pair of shorts over those under-shorts. Tri shorts are an all in one that can be used for cycle and run. Here's some examples http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tri-shorts/ The under shorts would be the cheaper option but the tri shorts will be more comfortable on the run.

I've worn cycling shorts in a few adventure races and never had any problem with them. For this race I'm going with a padded saddle (from Lidl) and regular running shorts (for maximum ventilation). TMI?
    I'd imagine tri shorts are the ideal solution but they're just so pricey I've never bothered with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

Registered this evening....no kit check!
    Bring on Sat!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

Yo...yo...
    A group of us will be representing the 53 Degrees Team on Sat... some doing the sport and some ready for the pain of the main event!!
    You'll know if you're in the same wave as us as I'll be shouting 'Go on ya Mutton heads' followed by some howling... feel free to join in!
    But please say hi at the start of the race as ya'll be behind us for the rest of the race (SMACK TALK!).... BRING IT CHUMPS :D
    Ambrose, Ben and Marty... :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

deleted question after having read the FAQ on WAR website!!

Thats fightin' talk adagio!!! :pac:

Heading down tomorrow, and signing up in the hotel. Will be heading back west after the event on Saturday.

Does anyone familiar with the area know if there are any hotels with pools or leisure centres near by? Somewhere we can pop in & get a shower, before hitting the long road home?

I dont think the Glendalough hotel has a leisure centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nem_e

CKWPORT

Not sure of any pool facilities around Gleandalough/Laragh, (unless you fancy a dip in Clara Laragh fun park, is that still open?)

There is a leisure center with a pool in Bray which is just 3 mins from the N11 as you come back towards dublin. Swims start on the Hour and is €7.20 that might be an option for you?

http://www.shorelineleisure.ie/braypool.0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

If anyone cares, I'll be wearing a pair of these baggy cycling shorts, that I'll just leave with my bike and slip on and off over my running shorts as required. Have used them before for previous adventure races and they worked out fine for the cycling parts and easy to ditch with the bike for the running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

If anyone is using running shorts, I'd recommend using some body glide. I didn't in a similar race and the chaffing was agony due to combination of wet shorts from the kayak and running afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

don't use running shorts!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Does anyone familiar with the area know if there are any hotels with pools or leisure centres near by? Somewhere we can pop in & get a shower, before hitting the long road home?

Have a rinse in the river. It will help with your recovery and cost you nothing.

The river!!!!! Might have to yet! :pac:

As for shorts, tri shorts if ye can get them at this late stage, only job for adventure races! They are very pricey tho!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Peterx wrote: »
    don't use running shorts!

Why not? I'm not talking little Eamonn Caughlin short-shorts, but the looser, longer baggier type, like these say.

What sort of times are people expecting to do on Saturday? Was thinking sub 5hrs but with extra run at the end would need to add a bit. Sub 5:30 and I'll be happy.

Run1 (Spink) - 1hr
    Cycle1 - 45mins
    Kayak - 25mins
    Cycle2 - 40mins
    Run2 (Djouce) - 1hr 20min
    Cycle3 - 1hr 5min
    Run3 - 15mins
    Total - 5hrs 30mins

Registered and ready to go. Thankfully they let my mum register for me today, so I'll have no panic getting up on Friday, looking forward to it now. Not putting too much pressure on myself time wise as it's my first race since Gaelforce last year and I took most of the winter off training. Doing the Sport and will be happy with anything sub 4 hrs.

CKWPORT wrote: »

I dont think the Glendalough hotel has a leisure centre.

Just read on their facebook page that there'll be showering facilities at the GAA club, which is where the carparking will be.

Cheers for that Adi CkonSh.

I'd be afraid to take a guess at a time incase i jinx myself. I just hope to finish it now at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Why not? I'm not talking little Eamonn Caughlin short-shorts, but the looser, longer baggier type, like these say.

I suppose mainly because running in cycling shorts causes less chafing than cycling in running shorts, especially if it's wet

Before I got the triathlon shorts I used a pair of cycling shorts with the chamois taken out.
    The flappiness of the running shorts isn't good on the bike either.

• Advertisement

Hitting the road shortly with a fellow boardsie, get down early and get a look at the route, best of luck to everyone tomorrow!

If you see two lads in blue/yellow jerseys with Westport covey wheelers on it, that's us, so say hello!!!

Advertisement