Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Adventure Race 18/6/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Good luck Everyone! Above all, enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

4 stars (good)
    Mmmm, I think this is the most ill-prepared I've been for such a race due to injury and lack of time for training when not injured. Feic it, sure I'm going to have fun with it anyway.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Not doing it this year, but want to wish everyone lots of luck, hope you get the weather we had last year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fishboy1974

Oh Jesus. The day is upon us, hopefully its a good one for all and not too long.

Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I'll be in the area tomorrow so will look out for you all suffering as I trot around a gentle training run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

Best of luck to everyone doing it! The more doing the WAR, the less running Tonelagee on Sunday :-)

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

Nerves and excitement starting to kick in!!
    Weather looking good....hopefully stays that way!

I'll look out for the Covies.....fishead myself!! LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Weather here in Wicklow already clearing up nicely. Hopefully the roads (and the sleepers) will be dry tomorrow.

Target for tomorrow is not to have my younger brothers in the wave (Sport) behind me catch up with me. They can kick my ass on the run but I should have them on the bike. That last run 3.5km home is giving me something to think about :eek:

Roll on tomorrow ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Hitting the road shortly with a fellow boardsie, get down early and get a look at the route, best of luck to everyone tomorrow!

If you see two lads in blue/yellow jerseys with Westport covey wheelers on it, that's us, so say hello!!!

best of luck, lads. Let us know how ye get on.

4 stars (good)
    Well this dumb ass got off to a bad start already. Went up to Carrickmines this morning to register not realising yesterday was the last day up there so a trip to Laragh is required this evening :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Mmmm, I think this is the most ill-prepared I've been for such a race due to injury and lack of time for training when not injured. Feic it, sure I'm going to have fun with it anyway.

With ya on this one...just in to make dinner and have discovered i forgot to buy pasta :(

ah well.... who needs carbs!

Best of luck everyone..esp those doing the full race :)
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

Just back from putting out some markers.

The steps in the forest are damp but have plenty of grip. The ones on the open mountain are bone dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

It's 5am, having porridge before heading south to Laragh. I am started to fell apprehensive, and wondering if that race is not a wee big too long for me considering my last race was in October 2009 (sprained 2 hankles in March & July 2010). The run at Lough Tay is really going to be the tough one as i tend to get cramps when running after cycling (not just transition, but kms of cramps!!)
    While the challenge for me would be is to finish it on my legs rather than my knees, my main motivation for doing it is to assess really when i am in terms of fitness after such a long break. Then training plan will be drafted for Ironman 70.3 Galway which will be my 2011 ultimate race.
    Anyway, weather looks good....
    Best of luck to all, enjoy the day

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Ar Strae wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone doing it! The more doing the WAR, the less running Tonelagee on Sunday :-)

Ro

Ya'd think that wouldn ya :P

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Good race, really enjoyed the whole thing. My legs are giving out to me now though. And that extra 3km (felt closer to 4) really was a challenge but better than finishing after the bike imo.

Well done to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Who won?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Noel (kavanagh?) of Wicklow tri, ahead of
    Padraig marrey. Think there was only 30 seconds between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

911sc wrote: »
    The run at Lough Tay is really going to be the tough one .....
    While the challenge for me would be is to finish it on my legs rather than my knees, my main motivation for doing it is to assess really when i am in terms of fitness after such a long break.

Well, not such a bad day in the office..Finished in 5:27, so i am not completely rusty after 18months since the last race.
    Djouce/White hill run was a real struggle, pretty much walked all the up hill way from the wood to the slippers at the top.
    I know where to focus my training: hills, hills and more hills, cycling and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hope I captured the fun / ordeal ye had. http://tinyurl.com/3ecetzo
    As I said to some of you at least you were moving :)

Fair play to Padraig Marrey for closing that gap. It was a full 5 mins at my checkpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Well done to Brian and Paul and everyone else involved for organising a brilliant event (yet again)!!!

First time doing the full and managed it in 5.06, I didn't know how long it was going to take me, but that was quicker than I expected to do.

Toughest event I have done to date, and was surprised at how tough the cycle sections were. Found the Cat 1 climb sound, but I suffered on the climb up the sally gap after wards it was hell.

Next worst bit has to be that 3.5km ENDLESS run at end. Thought I'd never get there.

Nice to meet a fellow boardsie down there too, Fitzilicious.

4 stars (good)
    It was the longest 3.5k you ever ran wasn't it ! Fair play to the various groups and visitors around there though, plenty of encouragement and giving way to you from them.

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Well done to Brian and Paul and everyone else involved for organising a brilliant event (yet again)!!!

First time doing the full and managed it in 5.06, I didn't know how long it was going to take me, but that was quicker than I expected to do.

Toughest event I have done to date, and was surprised at how tough the cycle sections were. Found the Cat 1 climb sound, but I suffered on the climb up the sally gap after wards it was hell.

Next worst bit has to be that 3.5km ENDLESS run at end. Thought I'd never get there.

Nice to meet a fellow boardsie down there too, Fitzilicious.

Nice to meet you too! :D
    Hope the spin back to Mayo wasn't too bad!!

Great race, so well organised!
    Finished over 1 hr quicker than last year so was delighted!
    10th girl so happy out!!

Well done to everyone who took part! :D

Fair play to Padraig Marrey for closing that gap. It was a full 5 mins at my checkpoint.

Great pics....thanks a mill!!
    Big smiley head on me!!:p (251)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Hope I captured the fun / ordeal ye had.
    You captured me at real low anyways...:( no.171
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    It was the longest 3.5k you ever ran wasn't it

It was hell, Thank F**K was all I could say when I crossed the line, I think it was Brian Crinion who then said to me, did ya enjoy that 3.5km and how it was his idea to add it in, told him I coming straight here to boards to b1tch about that run ;)
    Hope the spin back to Mayo wasn't too bad!!

Home now Thanks, and Feet up.

Totally wrecked...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nem_e

Pretty great day, managed to run most of it apart from the spot where slogger jogger was taking photo's :) , Managed to finish in 4:42 so was trilled with. I don't how my legs where still working for the endless run through hell.

Great day, anybody see the 3 montain goats on the spink run, fantasic to see really picturesque

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

The first few runners were like mountain goats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Great day out. Hardest race I've done yet.
    That cycle up the Sally Gap was torture!! Cramped when I put the foot down to dib, the two boys there didn't know what was going on with the roar I let out.
    Great photos there slogger, I wasn't quite a mountain goat, more like an out of place regular goat.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SOH32

cheers!
    Caught my big smiley head - No. 139!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Well done to everyone who took part yesterday, and a big thenk you to all the organisers and marshals. I had a great day, though I found it pretty hard going in places in places. Despite a running background, I was much happier on the bike yesterday, though I did really enjoy that last 3.5km run.

Advertisement