Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Adventure Race 18/6/2011

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

4 stars (good)
    If you're parked in the field you're not too close to the car as you enter transition. The water last year was bloody freezing, right up to the boys for a short arse like me, but very refreshing all the same. Do you think the obstacle course will be the same ? Last years was a last minute thing due to issues with access for the kayaks wasn't it, whereas this year there's more time to organise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

3 stars (average)
    I was planning on getting down to Glenmalure to recce the course but it doesnt look like I'll be able to do it before the race. I was especially hoping to try out the Shay Elliott before next Saturday as I hear it is a pretty tough climb.

Are there any hills/courses that other boardsies practice on that would be similar to the Shay Elliott??? I've heard that the devils elbow in Dublin is a tough climb - I've been out looking for it, found some tough climbs, but I've no idea if I found the devils elbow :confused:

P.s For anybody who hasn't signed up yet (like me), I heard on the WAR facebook page that there will be no 'late entry' price increase so prices will remain €55/€65 :)

4 stars (good)
    P.s For anybody who hasn't signed up yet (like me), I heard on the WAR facebook page that there will be no 'late entry' price increase so prices will remain €55/€65 :)

That's good, I'm waiting until payday later this week and typical of my luck would be for the price to increase the day before.

I don't think you actually do the full Shay Elliot either, I remember last year thinking it wasn't bad as I was expecting, however I only did sport then so I'd imagine it would be every bit as bad as expected towards the end of the expert race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Are there any hills/courses that other boardsies practice on that would be similar to the Shay Elliott??? I've heard that the devils elbow in Dublin is a tough climb - I've been out looking for it, found some tough climbs, but I've no idea if I found the devils elbow :confused:

If you can get up howth hill from the village to the summit pub then you'll be well able for the Shay Elliott. If anything I'd say that side of howth hill is steeper. (All based on memory rather than actual gradiant stats etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭fluboy

The Shay Elliot is not the problem, you’re going up the easier side of it, it’s what comes after is the problem. Slieve Maan is a long tough climb that will really test you and then you still have to complete what I can only describe as a biaatch of a run. Enjoy

BTW I think the Devils elbow is on the back road between Enniskerry and Johnnie Fox's pub

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The Shay Elliot is actually ok.

I'd go further than Enduro and say if you can manage the sutton side of Howth, you'll be fine. Be careful on the descent though, there's a nasty speedbump type thing on the way down.

I reckon the cycle section of the WAR Hellfire series is tougher than the Shay Elliot and is ideal for practicing.

Hellfire is about 220 metres climb over about 4km. Shay Elliot is about the same climb over a similar distance.

3 stars (average)
    fluboy wrote: »
    BTW I think the Devils elbow is on the back road between Enniskerry and Johnnie Fox's pub
    Ah nice one! I found it so!
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I reckon the cycle section of the WAR Hellfire series is tougher than the Shay Elliot and is ideal for practicing. Hellfire is about 220 metres climb over about 4km. Shay Elliot is about the same climb over a similar distance.

Thanks for the tip! I can get to the hellfire course handy enough. I was interested in doing the hellfire on Tuesday but I think its a bit too close to WAR for me.

How did people find the "off-road" section last year? If cycling in normal road tyres would it be a case off getting off and running with the bike??

From what I can recall, the off road section was fine. Through a small stream and onto a loose path. Uou pretty much are forced to get off the bike as the hill on the other side is so steep. That’s pretty much it I think. No big deal.
    I’d say gatorskins or winter tires would be best due to the chances of a puncture there.

Some pics here.

http://glenmalure.wicklowadventurerace.com/index.php/course/war-sport-cycle/

4 stars (good)
    Weather not looking to good for Saturday despite today being fantastic. Wet conditions I think will suit me on the runs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Just in after a well deserved meal. Absolutely fantastic day! I think I prefer that course to the earlier WAR and I don't know why - the second run was an absolute bastard.

Came in 18th with a time of 4:09, I'm delighted with that. My running is awful, and I thought it was gonna be a bad one when everyone pulled away at the start of the first run (was literally 2nd last watching everyone move into the distance for the first km). Seems some went out faster than they could hold though and I was passing walkers soon enough.

Was flying on the bike, haven't felt that good in a long time. Almost felt like someone had dosed my porridge this morning with EPO :D Easiest ascent of Slieve Maan I've ever done, felt like I had an engine. The second run was inhuman, but when the marshall at the top told me I was #23 I thought he was joking. Lost a good few places though cos as I said, my running is ****e! After slogging through the rest of it, I absolutely killed myself on the bike to make up time, and when I got my printout at the end I was amazed to see #18, was sure I'd only caught enough to get back up to the low twenties.

Fantastic day, hope it wasn't a fluke! Just have to get some trail running practice in and hopefully crack 4hrs next year...

edit: forgot to say - toeclips instead of cycling shoes = best decision I've ever made. In and out of transition in under a minute instead of 4mins+ changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

That 2nd run sorts the men from the boys. I marshalled there last year. The amount of people that got to the top and didn't realise they had to go down the other side and back again :) Good result, well done.

Great race today. Opted for the Sport. Only second time running in over 3 weeks and didn’t fancy the second run at all. The first run is a bit deceiving and looks fairly benign from maps and elevation but it really tears the field apart. I watched the expert come in and the first person was clear of Marrey by about three mins. I’d guess that only about 10 people came in over the next 10 minutes.

Lined up at the start for sport. Realised I had ‘emergency’ gels in my pocket which I meant to leave in transition. Decided to leave on a roof of a car at the entrance to transition.

Rush of blood the head saw me leading the bunch for a few hundred metres. I also thought the start was a bit slow so was keen to get going and run the legs of the cyclists. Eventually settled in with a small group of 3 or 4 and got the legs ticking over and breathing under control. The long drag to the top was, erm long. Plan was to save something for the descent which again is tougher than it looks as you’re all out for 6km. Was about 9th to the top. Made a few places up but legs were feeling like jelly, not a good sign. Found the descent tough. Was shattered in transition. Necked an iso gel. To my dismay the gels I had left earlier had gone. Balls! I shouldn’t need them but bad nutrition planning meant I needed them now. Ho hum.

Onto the bike. Felt ok, legs recovered a bit from the run and miraculously, I managed to overtake people. First time actually overtaking someone on the bike. Pushed on and got the first sign of dreaded cramps. Managed to stave it off save for the occasional spasm. Bike course suited me as it was slightly technical and no long drags. Very tough tho.

Just before the turn for Shay Elliot I was caught by one of the young mayo lads. Had passed him on the run descent but he took a nasty spill on the descent and probs lost about 3 minutes. The guy just powered past me and up the Shay Elliot. Some recovery. Kept him in sight and felt great going up the climb Had a good descent and besides the odd cramp, managed the small obstacle course. Job done and happy with 6th or 7th place. Not sure yet. Heading to work afterwards wasn't fun

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

4 stars (good)
    I did the sport as well but it looks like I was a good bit behind you! Anyway I really enjoyed it and I did it in a good time for me.

I'm going to aim to do the expert next year.

I've been doing sport events up 'till now but have decided to give a longer event a go during the later part of the season. There's so much choice now, it's unreal.

Achill was great fun last year. Galeforce is iconic but gets mixed reports. The Killarney course looks amazing. No details available yet on Powerscourt. I might end up doing two of them!:D

4 stars (good)
    I had a serious case of foot in mouth/famous last words on Saturday. Before the race I made the comment that the hay bales don't look as big as those we jumped in the Rough Diamond. Fast forward a few hours and I cleared the first lot no problem, got to the top of the second when my calf seriously cramped causing me to fall in a heap on the other side. All I could think of was A. the pain, B. that fecker I've being holding off for the last 15 minutes on the bike better not get by me now. Bloody agony.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nem_e

Well done to everybody doing WAR at the weekend, it sure looked like fun based on the number of smiles i saw :).

Wasn't able to race myself due to injury, but had to drive my brother up so took the camera along to take some shots for his wife. I ended up taking about 600 shots, mostly of people doing the Full race version.
    I've uploaded about 200 to flickr which you can view at the following link

http://www.flickr.com//photos/64276403@N03/show/

thier in no particular order, plus i did take some shots of people getting ready for the Sport race on my way back down off the 1st run.

I hope you can find yourself's in the photo's :)

Advertisement