Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opening a takeaway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Call it Fred.

I've always wanted to call something Fred, and figure if I keep suggesting it often enough it'll stick somewhere.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

JustMary wrote: »
    Call it Fred.

I've always wanted to call something Fred, and figure if I keep suggesting it often enough it'll stick somewhere.

Yeah. Deep fred.
    Or Right said Fried.
    Sigmund Fried.
    Deep fat friar.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Give it a turkish name. You won't do go business in a Galway take-away unless you're turkish. Look at how many charcoal grills have sprung up about the place !

nothing says turkish cuisine like pizzas and burgers, right? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

Tittycum takeaway sounds turkish?

Knacker dwarf takeaway

Warty Nora,

youd have to factor in the cost of endorsements though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

"another flamin' takeaway?"
    "bitz and pizzas"
    "sam an' ellas"
    "soon fat"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Om nom nom
    Monsch
    Ubermonsch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

OP are you looking for a gimmicky name, as in will the decor be quirky, or do you think 'any publicity is good publicity' (mink man's sam and ella is funny and memorable:D), but are you ok with 'that kind' of funny?

If it's just a regular chipper, nothing special, surely people will judge it on price, chips etc. You could just call it 'AL's'

There you go 'AL's';)

or how about 'Midnight Oil' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

'I can has cheezburger?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Mr Minus - The Takeaway Man

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

SuperMacDonaldsKingWhopper...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭poolfan

**** n That!
    Another Takeaway
    Takeaway R Us!
    Heart attackLicious
    Come fry with me
    GFC.. Galway Fried Calories!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Turning out to be a great thread, some great names so far:D (including infraction posts;) )OP just make sure the food is top notch for a start and i'm sure you'll do well, good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Robbo wrote: »
    Ubermonsch?

Supermonsch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

'I Cant Believe Its Not Supermacs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

In Cod we Trust.
    Buddha Burgers.
    You wanna pizza me? (did i read this on page one?)
    I'll Make You a Whopper You Can't Refuse
    For Cod's Sake
    Are ye Coddin me?
    A load of Pollocks!
    Everybody in the Plaice
    Pat Mustard & Georgie Burgers
    We got Sole
    The Swordfish (featuring Halle Berry's burger and chips)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

biko wrote: »
    Isn't that just how everyone from Tuam refers to themselves? That what my Tuam friends call themselves anyway.
    Thought it was appropriate since it's on Tuam road.

If inappropriate I'll remove it of course.

Tuam = sham
    Milltown = scan
    Dunmore = shaft
    Ok according to this thread it may or may not be derogatory depending on who's using it or if they're in Tuam or Galway.

No offence intended to Tuam shams. Guess I'll have to be more careful when using it from now on and only use it in Tuam or when asking for Saw Doc's music.

SHTW92.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

On a related note do you want advice/suggestions (maybe open another thread) but here's mine anyway:
    • PRICE, PRICE, PRICE. If the food is nice but expensive I won't go there often. Most places take the pis$- charge an extra 80c for cheese, extra for sauce on burger etc. That annoys the hell out of me.
    • homemade style chips (as distinct to the 'frozen' chips that are all the exact same size (like what you normally get from a chip van).
    • Good selection- look at Scottys Steak house and see how many selections they have for toppings etc.
    • Quickish service. i'd imagine a lot of people get take away and drive home so they don't want to be waiting 10 mins. (even though I know it takes a certain time to cook stuff).
    • Try to be friendly. There's a chipper in Douglas, Cork (KC's) that's as famous for their humour as their nice food.
    • Set up Facebook page, twitter etc. Promote. Look at Mr Waffle that opened opposite the hospital and their Facebook page (had pics of building while being decked out etc. had good hype built before they opened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

biko wrote: »
    Ok according to this thread it may or may not be derogatory depending on who's using it or if they're in Tuam or Galway.

No offence intended to Tuam shams. Guess I'll have to be more careful when using it from now on and only use it in Tuam or when asking for Saw Doc's music.

Or ya could just not worry about people taking offence to stupid things. Real life is a bit different to Boards.ie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

Big Kahuna Burger

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭MonkeyDoo

Yum Yum's

Kinda ryhmes with Tuam, and its easy to say when drunk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

MonkeyDoo wrote: »
    Yum Yum's

I love 'Yum Yums'! But I said it to another boardsie yesterday and he said 'sounds like it sells Thai food not burgers':eek:

Yum Yums. Feic the naysayers.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

By chance I was in Athlone at the weekend. It's called De Mad Hoor but close enough. I had a cheese burger which was lovely.
    I know the guy that owns that place, he's from my neck of the woods, great name!
    he does be at the claregalway sunday market the odd weekend in his van selling burgers if you have a craving some weekend!
    although it's a while since I was out there myself

I haven't laughed at a thread this much in ages!
    shamburger...I can't believe it's not supermacs...brilliant!:D

If nothing else OP, you're garnering great publicity for the place before it even opens!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

May I please have a job in said takeaway?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

MonkeyDoo wrote: »
    Yum Yum's

Yeah, but people will get confused between it and Ya Ya's though. Goodness only knows how they got their name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

There used to be a takeaway in Tralee called 'Yummy Yums', which wasn't very good, hence the locals called it 'Yocky Yocks'(that's the Kerry derivative of yuck btw), so if you are contemplating such a name at least make sure you are serving quality food so as not to be so nicknamed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,495 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Burger Flaps

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Take the two biggest burger places and combine the names, Burger King and McDonalds. Here's my plan for your business, it's my gift to you.

Name: Donald King (Don King for short)
    Tag Line: Our Food's a Knockout!
    Ethos: Ruthless against the competition while giving the people what they want. Staff all outspoken and brash, people leave thinking they're dicks but the product they bring is so good that they keep coming back and feeling dirty. Perhaps you could also deal drugs on the side, some level of corruption is required, hell, maybe just use cheap own brand cheese instead of easi singles.
    Logo: g3cs7.png

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The Dirty Burger
    71099_157590259359_8309242_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Tuam road .......? " SUPERMAC'S " be a good name :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Súpermacs.

It would be like Supermacs, but actually employ some Irish staff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement