Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heat cycle/ spay questions

• 17-01-2011 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

My dog had some blood spotting this morning so I'm assuming this is the start of the heat.
    Am I right in thinking that we need to be extra careful for 3 weeks? Even though noticed a few changes over the last few days do I count today as day 1?
    It's really bad timing.... we were finally getting places with her outside anxieties :( There's an unneutered male next door and at least one other in the estate so it's going to be tough going I imagine. Obviously we can't keep her in all the time... what do other people do?

re spaying.. i've read that half way between cycles is the best time so would that be 2.5/ 3 months (?) from today or from when the heat ends?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Unfortunately you will have to keep you're dog under lock and key for the next 3-4weeks, outside only really to go to the toilet and even then with supervision, males can be quite sneaky about getting to a female in heat and will go to great length to slip under your radar.
    When my girl is in heat I use a friends field to exercise her, one way in and one way out so I can see any suitors if they come into the field plus I can park quite close so I can easily bundle her back into the car if needed. I always like to drive to a location too so that males can't follow her scent back to my house.
    As for spaying mid way through her cycle is generally considered the best time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Spaying usually happens 3 months from day one of heat (the first day of bleed - today!). She may get a bit depressed, clinging, cranky etc. while in heat so don't be surprised if she is acting a little strange.

Keeping her indoors for the next 3 - 4 weeks is a must if no males are to get to her. Letting her out into the garden to go to the toilet should be supervised (just in case she makes a break for it or another dog manages to get in) and walking her during "off peak" (that is, very early in the morning or very late at night) is really the only way to prevent the boys getting to her.

Males can be very persistent when it comes to hanging around looking for her and dogs have been known to mate through a fence so maybe saying it to your next door neighbour so that they know what is going on (and what has gotten into their dog!) would be a good idea. There are bitch pants (haven't a clue of the official name) available to help prevent any males mating with her and also prevent her staining carpets etc. I have seen them in quite a few large pet stores so may be worth looking into.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

This dog has been sent to test confuse me. Total 6-7 spots of blood yesterday and nothing today. I was expecting much mess.

If she is in in heat and just not bleeding much/ keeping herself clean then she could be further into the cycle than I think but then again maybe not:confused:. We had a big old spaniel dog trying it on with her on our walk last thursday but she was having none of it. Same on Sunday but I think I was more bothered by him than she was. I've avoided that road since.

To further complicate matters one vet has said she has been spayed already and a second one says she hasn't. I'm trusting the second one and taking no chances. I think I'll ring tomorrow and book spay based on her "probably" being in heat round about now and he can advise further.

I can't think of any other explanations for the blood spots :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

littlebug wrote: »
    This dog has been sent to test confuse me. Total 6-7 spots of blood yesterday and nothing today. I was expecting much mess.

If she is in in heat and just not bleeding much/ keeping herself clean then she could be further into the cycle than I think but then again maybe not:confused:. We had a big old spaniel dog trying it on with her on our walk last thursday but she was having none of it. Same on Sunday but I think I was more bothered by him than she was. I've avoided that road since.

To further complicate matters one vet has said she has been spayed already and a second one says she hasn't. I'm trusting the second one and taking no chances. I think I'll ring tomorrow and book spay based on her "probably" being in heat round about now and he can advise further.

I can't think of any other explanations for the blood spots :confused:

What reason did the vet give for saying that she's already been spayed?

Is her vulva swollen at all? Its usually very noticeable when they are in season.

ISDW wrote: »
    What reason did the vet give for saying that she's already been spayed?

I don't know. It was when she was checked/ vacc'd before I took her home.
    Is her vulva swollen at all? Its usually very noticeable when they are in season.

I think so. I did start taking notice after the spaniel incident and thought she was swollen but wasn't sure if I was imagining it since I hadn't really looked that closely before. I did think she was swollen yesterday and maybe less so today but there again I have nothing to compare it to...

I think I'll just have to keep an eye. I'll ring to book the spay anyway and ask their advice.

• Advertisement

Day 12 and we've just had a dog scratching at our front door trying to get in:eek:
    I'll be damned glad when this is over. Aside from anything else this dog needs exercise. She's at her calmest during the day if she's had an hours walk in the morning and that just isn't possible now.

I assume we're in the real danger zone now.. the boys really only started following/ trailing us on day 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yeah they are usually full on ready to be mated anytime from now on so be very careful.

Is there no where you drive to and walk her where there wouldnt be any dogs around?

andreac wrote: »
    Yeah they are usually full on ready to be mated anytime from now on so be very careful.

Is there no where you drive to and walk her where there wouldnt be any dogs around?

Weekday mornings not really. I've been taking her just on a short loop at the crack of dawn but by the time I'm back, kids to school etc I'm going to assume there are going to be dogs everywhere and I really don't want to have to deal with it! She's dog aggressive too and can be hard to handle so even the sight of another dog has her going nuts at the best of times. Maybe I'm being overly dramatic about it... but all my training to even get the walk easier seems to have gone to pot and it's tough going.

I do plan taking her out tomorrow and the next day to where there's a good 3 mile loop walk, no cars and I'll go at the crack of dawn so there mightn't be anyone else there yet. I can't really do that mon-fri with the kids etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

littlebug wrote: »
    Weekday mornings not really. I've been taking her just on a short loop at the crack of dawn but by the time I'm back, kids to school etc I'm going to assume there are going to be dogs everywhere and I really don't want to have to deal with it! She's dog aggressive too and can be hard to handle so even the sight of another dog has her going nuts at the best of times. Maybe I'm being overly dramatic about it... but all my training to even get the walk easier seems to have gone to pot and it's tough going.

I do plan taking her out tomorrow and the next day to where there's a good 3 mile loop walk, no cars and I'll go at the crack of dawn so there mightn't be anyone else there yet. I can't really do that mon-fri with the kids etc.

Mental exercise can wear them out as much as physical, does she have a favourite toy? If so, maybe hide it in different places around the house, her looking for it and finding it will be exercise. Or even bits of food, sausage and stuff. I used to play a game with dogs that came to stay a the kennels, 3 upturned beakers, a bit of sausage under one of them, they had to work out which one and get it. Sounds really simple, but its amazing how using their brain tires them out:D

Advertisement