Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy games

Options
  • 17-01-2011 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭

guys,

where do people buy their games?

I bought an XBOX this w/e, it came with NFS - HOT PURSUIT.

I want to buy Forza 3(I know there is a newer version now but want to start with 3),and had spotted it on the smyths website 'new' for €15.99 but it is gone from the stores.

I'm not sure about buying second hand games (brother had issues with one or two pre-owned).

where is the best/cheapest to buy games older and newer versions?

Am I just being paranoid in relation to pre-owneds?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,788 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Most pre-owned are generally alright. Places check the disks for scratches before accepting them, and I think you can ask to check the disk yourself before buying it if it's a preowned game. I've rarely had any trouble buying pre-owned games.

Other than that, for cheap, buy online. Amazon, Play etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

+1 for online. Got Gears of War 1 for 13e on eBay (made sure I bought from a 'top rated seller').

But shop around. The likes of amazon\play\ebay for deals. I'd pop in to a shop if you're close to compare prices with anything you're looking at online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I've bought shed loads of second hand games and have never had any issues with any of them - there should be some return policy with the shop in such instances though.

Try play.com and cdwow.ie for gaming bargains but make sure they're in stock before you buy or you could be waiting a while for it. Ebay is also another excellant source of bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

zavvi.com, especially today as its mega monday, they have stuff on offer every week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Don't forget to check HMV during sales as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Well over half my collection is pre-owned. I've had a few problems here and there over the years, but nine times outta ten everything is grand. I'd usually hit the pre-owned section in Gamestop, or the first-hand section in Xtravision (usually better prices on older first-hand games)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

krudler wrote: »
    zavvi.com, especially today as its mega monday, they have stuff on offer every week

It is mega monday every day. The prices never change. WEll not the stuff that I was looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Not to derail the thread, but what about selling games? Someone said xtravision or smyths were good right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

It's best to ring and ask - some will give you different prices on different games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I buy almost all of my games online (unless i desperately need to play a game on Day 1) so it's usually Zavvi.com. There's play.com and amazon, i usually check around before buying. Zavvi have sales on mondays so I generally just wait til a game goes on sale.

If i must go to a brick and mortar store it'd be HMV. In general they're at least 5 bucks cheaper than Game. Had nothing but bad experiences in game in general

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

i would recommend http://www.gamestracker.com/ it allows you to check the price of basically any game from pretty much all the online game retailers new and used prices as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i use gamestracker as well and also http://www.find-game.co.uk/
    between them you can find all the cheapest games
    some of them used to do free delivery but are starting to charge now so check the sticky at the top of the bargain alerts section for pricess

Advertisement