Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Event Management as a career

Options
  • 17-01-2011 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone on boards does event management for a living, or knows someone who does? How did you/they get into it? What are the initial steps one must take to begin a successful career in event management? Does one generally work freelance/self-employed, or are there companies that deal in such things?

Any and all information appreciated.

Cheers,
    J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 alex18

I know a scouse bloke who teaches event management and security and pretty much does it as a career.

He has worked in the security industry as a bobyguard and as a doorman on clubs previously.

Mostly the work is through companies who will put you on their books and then, when an event phones them up for staff, they will set you on task.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭steod

Hi there are many areas of event management ranging from hands on operations to marketing to planning. There are many dilpoma courses and few degree courses in event management running in Ireland now. You can work freelance or for dedicated events companies. Also you could be venue based working in house for places like hotels, exhibition/conference centres, places like the o2, aviva stadium, croke park etc.

Look up some of the courses available and will give better idea of the what the industry entails. Also there are few experienced people working in events on here know and again who might reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

I'd recommend doing a course on it as the poster above suggests. After that it might be a case of getting an internship for some experience and seeing if you can do enough to get a full time job out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭User Named

Hey,

Im doing an event managment degree course in G.M.I.T., im in first year...all in all so far its really interesting...I would def recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nevsky

I've been trying to get into event management or music production for nearly a year now. No joy. I have a degree in Business management and marketing from D.I.T. plus a diploma in event management. It seems to be impossible to get in to.

Three more months and I'm off to U.K.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭s3129

User Named wrote: »
    Hey,

Im doing an event managment degree course in G.M.I.T., im in first year...all in all so far its really interesting...I would def recommend it.

Hi,

I am interested in doing some kind of Event Management course in Galway, can you tell me, did you do any courses prior to this one? And how many years is it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭User Named

s3129 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am interested in doing some kind of Event Management course in Galway, can you tell me, did you do any courses prior to this one? And how many years is it for?

No, as I applied through the CAO but because im 25 id had to do an mature student interview, but that was handy enough...I seen on the gmit website that there taking direct applications for the hotel school now. Thats the department event management is under, so be good to contact the college and ask them about it. It is a 3 year normal degree course then an extra year for the honours degree. It a good course and the hours arnt too bad plus Galway is a great city.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Legend_Steph

Hey,
    I have just come across this thread but I have to say Event Management is brilliant. I'm 19 and have my own band promotion going. Have two gigs organised for early June. The down side to it is I pay venues etc. out of my own money but the good side is you can make a profit and get to meet new people. I'm studying Music Management and Production in college also. The course is for 4 years. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 princess150

Thought I'd shed my experience as an events student, hope it helps.
    As a final year student in Business studies with Event Management in LIT , I'm really happy i did this course. It covers everthing from accounting to law to event planning and design. The course has changed a bit since I started in 08, the level 8 only took me 3 years but now it's extended to 4 years to include work placement which I kind of wished I had. The lecturers in the college are brilliant and their experience in industry really helps when your trying to apply examples to theory. Its a degree that can be brought all over the world and that's what I intend to do with it.
    As for jobs prospects, one may think it is hard for anyone starting out but for event management you have to be determined and gain lots of experience literally doing anything event related from standing in the rain as a steward at a festival or even organising a college ball
    now I am looking forward to the next year as Vice President of the college SU....now that required a hell of a lot of drive and determination. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭vrobot

I agree with this post - do anything and everything you can events related and be prepared to work for nothing at times if it's something you really want to get into, for example a lot of festivals look for volunteers and that can be a great way to get to know the people running it and seeing if other opportunities arise.

Here's a call for volunteers for the Body and Soul Festival.

http://dublin.gumtree.ie/c-Jobs-media-design-creative-VOLUNTEER-COORDINATOR-FOR-BODY-SOUL-FESTIVAL-W0QQAdIdZ361699804
    As for jobs prospects, one may think it is hard for anyone starting out but for event management you have to be determined and gain lots of experience literally doing anything event related from standing in the rain as a steward at a festival or even organising a college ball
    now I am looking forward to the next year as Vice President of the college SU....now that required a hell of a lot of drive and determination. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

worked part time for 10 years in events, from mcd to wedding planners, every job under the sun. Its really about contacts, very close knit group events are, I got a lucky break and now I still do alot of work, mostly for uk companies tho. Really its about making an impression as early as possible, people constantly trying to work for free, and tbh it gets you nowhere, I've seen interns come ago numerous times, cheap free labour, thats the guts of it

Advertisement