Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut Milk

Options
  • 17-01-2011 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

When a recipe for deserts calls for coconut milk is it the same coconut milk that would be used for currys?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

Certainly is, the groovy thing about it is it can be sweet or savoury...like cream. It's more a carrier of falvour and it's really like a blank canvass. Try making ice cream with it - blow you sideways.

Slam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Petite Treats

There is also a coconut milk that comes in a 1litre carton called 'Kara' - it has the texture of regular milk and does not have a strong coconut flavour unlike some of the canned coconut milks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

cans of low fat coconut milk also available if calories are a consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

OK really stupid question.....

Is it literally, crack open the coconut, pour the milk into a big vat and then can it.

Is it healthy? Good for you, so to speak.

Not really, the inside of the cocnut is full of water and white 'flesh'. Coconut milk is essentially the flesh of the nut and any liquid wazzed up to make the milk.

Healthy? Yes but is small doses - it's a diarrhetic and heavy on the cals as it's very oilly.

Slam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

ta....

so if I am making a coconut milk curry and lob a can of it in, does that constitute an excess....? for example if i consumed half the can, or 1/3rd of it?

You'll find a lot of curry base sauces are just the curry paste with the coconut milk then lobbed in.

If it's cals you're worried about then temper your 'meat' selection ie use fish or prawns. or just leave teh milk out completely, use stock and cream it up with some low fat yoghurt.

Personnally I'm a sucker for coconut milk in my currys

Slam

• Registered Users Posts: 65,499 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cans of low fat coconut milk also available if calories are a consideration.

Wouldn't recommend the low fat coconut milk. It's just watered down proper coconut milk

Advertisement