Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gatso vans - Meath

Options
  • 17-01-2011 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Thought these Gatso vans were to be in white livery with all the appropriate markings?

Spotted a Red Transit van (10 KY ...) parked on the Navan side of Dunshaughlin last week with a rear shroud sticking up. Same type vehicle was parked up on the Clonnee bypass before the M3 section last week and today (9am).

Seems to be very easy now to get caught going to Navan as if it wasn't expensive enough with fuel.

Anyone else spot this vehicle on the Navan to Dublin route via M2 / M3?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Nope, they can be several colours, if they didn't have speed camera stickers then they were only surveying the road to see if a % of people break the limit.

IE: checking to see if placing actual cameras there will result in a profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

They had no markings at all, but that rear shroud defo looked like a camera. Come to think of it, passed a blue van between Urlingford and Johnstown in the midlands that had only a 250mm square camera sticker on the side of it. Won't be taking any chances though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

Same two were on the N2 on Saturday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

I remember reading somewhere in the media a while ago that a certain percentage of their speed detection operations where to be carried out in a covert fashion (20% I think) and IIRC it mentioned something about tending towards 100% in the future as some study had come up with this as being the most effective deterrent (or was it most effective way to catch people ?) I also remember reading that they have remote cameras that can be used outside of the van, eg stuck in a bush or whatever.

Anyway, whether or not whatever I read was accurate or remembered properly, I just would not be assuming a speed camera van is going to have great big signs advertising its presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Fiskar wrote: »
    Thought these Gatso vans were to be in white livery with all the appropriate markings?

Spotted a Red Transit van (10 KY ...) parked on the Navan side of Dunshaughlin last week with a rear shroud sticking up. Same type vehicle was parked up on the Clonnee bypass before the M3 section last week and today (9am).

Seems to be very easy now to get caught going to Navan as if it wasn't expensive enough with fuel.

Anyone else spot this vehicle on the Navan to Dublin route via M2 / M3?

I saw that red unmarked van in both locations also Fiskar. I first saw it on the N3/M3 I think last wednesday, it was just after the Clonee slip-off - direction: heading towards Navan - it was parked up in the Gardaí area just a little bit into the 120km speed limit - I was wondering at the time whether it was there to catch people in the 100km zone or the 120km zone - what is the range on these things?! I then saw it the following morning on the stretch between Ross Cross and Dunshaughlin (nearer Dunshaughlin) - it was at about 6.30am in the pitch dark and I wouldn't have recognised it for what it was only that I had seen it the previous day!!

• Advertisement

Best to be wary of any vans parked up, I don't know what the range of the camera is but if you can see it then it can see you!
    I would expect it to be 100 metres from the van for a nice clear picture.

Lucky for me that I use the motorbike so cannot get caught too easily :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Jesus lads... are ye paranoid or what?

I saw a van today outside maxol on dublin road... yellow in colour and i could see the driver in the back wearing a white jacket, he looked a bit suspicious.

Think im okay though... it said brennans on the side of it. :)

Dont speed and break the limit and ye wont have any problems... Simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

They had no markings at all, but that rear shroud defo looked like a camera. Come to think of it, passed a blue van between Urlingford and Johnstown in the midlands that had only a 250mm square camera sticker on the side of it. Won't be taking any chances though.

What do you mean by rear shroud? Is that in the van or outside it?

I've seen it three times in the last couple of weeks (Navan-Kingscourt Road, N3 dual carriageway & parked outside Mace in Carlanstown village) but I don't remember seeing anything other than a red van basically covered in big stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Anyone see the van parked on the side of the Trim road coming into Navan last night? Think I was caught by the fockers. I didn't notice a flash but to be honest I only noticed the van as I drove right passed it.

Access wrote: »
    Jesus lads... are ye paranoid or what?

I saw a van today outside maxol on dublin road... yellow in colour and i could see the driver in the back wearing a white jacket, he looked a bit suspicious.

Think im okay though... it said brennans on the side of it. :)

Dont speed and break the limit and ye wont have any problems... Simple!

Ah, if only we could believe that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

hadook wrote: »
    What do you mean by rear shroud? Is that in the van or outside it?

I've seen it three times in the last couple of weeks (Navan-Kingscourt Road, N3 dual carriageway & parked outside Mace in Carlanstown village) but I don't remember seeing anything other than a red van basically covered in big stickers.
    http://cms.ukintpress.com/UserFiles/Irish-speed-camera-van-300.jpg
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1310/5179832290_07011dff00_z.jpg
    bump on top

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    Anyone see the van parked on the side of the Trim road coming into Navan last night? Think I was caught by the fockers. I didn't notice a flash but to be honest I only noticed the van as I drove right passed it.

Yep! I didn't notice it at 8.00pm but it was there at 11.00pm on my way back home. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

They have been in the 50kmph stretch of Maudlin road Kells a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Duster

draffodx wrote: »
    Nope, they can be several colours, if they didn't have speed camera stickers then they were only surveying the road to see if a % of people break the limit.

IE: checking to see if placing actual cameras there will result in a profit.

How do you know this for certain ? Have you seen this in print somewhere ?

I wouldnt trust them... in my area they are hiding in laneways and behind bushes or signs so its not exactly the "high profile as a deterrant rather than a money making exercise " stance that they spout all the time !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 taffy1973

last sunday morning (16th) there was a silver renault master van 10 KY
    with signage on it parked up near navan hire on the kells side of navan clocking people coming in past newgate mercedes around the bend at 07:20 in the morning (still dark!!!!!!) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

meercat wrote: »

What puzzles me is why they need vans that big ?

Just not to forget, the ones the Gardai use, which are still in operation, dont have that distinctive bump, and are not all marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Interesting, thanks for the pics meercat. The hood bit definitely wasn't up on the one I spotted in Carlanstown.

(I was a bit irritated when I spotted it because a "safety measure" shouldn't be blocking most of the parking spaces outside a busy shop. Guess it's possible the driver was just in the shop so :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Not wrote: »
    What puzzles me is why they need vans that big ?

Just not to forget, the ones the Gardai use, which are still in operation, dont have that distinctive bump, and are not all marked.
    the new ones can operate at night(hump is the light for flash)
    they can pick you up coming to or going away from van

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

taffy1973 wrote: »
    last sunday morning (16th) there was a silver renault master van 10 KY
    with signage on it parked up near navan hire on the kells side of navan clocking people coming in past newgate mercedes around the bend at 07:20 in the morning (still dark!!!!!!) :rolleyes:

Are they parking off the road or on the hard shoulder on dual carriageways.

Surely that could be more of a danger then speeding if someone accidently;) ploughs into the back of the fookers.

meercat wrote: »

Thanks for the pics Meercat, yes the blue one was the type in Urlingford and the pesky red was the one floating through the roads in Meath.
    Not happy about the fact they get you in either direction as that means I can get caught on the bike !
    Don't think you stand a chance in the dark as you'll be in their sights before you can slow down.
    They must be getting a heck of a lot of drivers but haven't heard of anyone caught yet.

• Advertisement

Spotted camera van on the navan to trim road R161. This road is easy to speed on but I am sure it was mentioned that they would only use them on dangerous roads where a record of crashes has been noted.

This road is extremely safe and as it is easy to exceed the 80km limit will become a money racket. I am disappointed about being lied too again by this bloody government.

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Spotted camera van on the navan to trim road R161. This road is easy to speed on but I am sure it was mentioned that they would only use them on dangerous roads where a record of crashes has been noted.

This road is extremely safe and as it is easy to exceed the 80km limit will become a money racket. I am disappointed about being lied too again by this bloody government.

There have been several fatal accidents on that road over the years.

bladespin wrote: »
    There have been several fatal accidents on that road over the years.

Since the road has been redone?.I'm surprised as its a good safe stretch and far far better then the previous road that was dangerous with the tight bends/bad surface etc.

I can't remember seeing speed cameras when the road was bad then.

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Since the road has been redone?.I'm surprised as its a good safe stretch and far far better then the previous road that was dangerous with the tight bends/bad surface etc.

I can't remember seeing speed cameras when the road was bad then.

Not since it was improved but the bumf about the cameras was any road that had a fatality TBH I'd imagine that is every road in the country in some form or another.
    There were camera vans used on it over the years, I used to used it everyday at varying hours, the white transit the local garda used to pop up close to where the football facilities are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Last night as i was heading south through Kilmoon cross there was a camera van parked on the other side facing north. The back doors were open and the man standing behind the van took a picture of me or at least used a flash. I was under the limit but i'm wondering what he was up to?

shedweller wrote: »
    Last night as i was heading south through Kilmoon cross there was a camera van parked on the other side facing north. The back doors were open and the man standing behind the van took a picture of me or at least used a flash. I was under the limit but i'm wondering what he was up to?

Possibly calibrating the camera, adjusting focus etc. Wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers. I figured there was something technical going on, rather than catching cars speeding

Shedweller, what colour was this van, with offical livery or the red one that is moping around?

Shedweller, what colour was this van, with offical livery or the red one that is moping around?
    It had the stickers on it. I think it was white, but it was howling wind and rain at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Mycro 89

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1y6ycG9zgk

The Flash at 18 seconds into the video attached, does this mean the person in question was caught for speeding??

Advertisement