Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Super Computer!

Options
  • 17-01-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi guys,

4 years have past since i built my last machine and its time to move up a gear!

i have sourced componets from hardwareversand.de and need some advice on what to add/take off?

bear in mind i would like to make this wireless, play lots of games and generally eat anything that is thrown at it! gone for the Sandy Bridge Intel set up and would like it to last a little longer than 4 years too!!

Corsair 650HX, 650 Watt
    NZXT Phantom Big Tower - Black , ATX, ohne Netzteil

Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155
    ASUS Maximus IV Extreme, Sockel 1155, ATX, DDR3
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9

LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray Brenner bulk
    LG GH24LS50 Retail schwarz

OCZ SSD Vertex 2 120GB 8,9cm (3,5")
    WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 8,9cm(3,5")
    Western Digital Caviar GreenPower 2TB SATA II

XFX RADEON HD 6950 800M 2GB DDR5 DUAL DP HDMI DUAL DVI

Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

Samsung XL2270HD LED-TV 55,88cm (22")

Any suggestions are welcome! :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Keywal wrote: »
    Hi guys,

4 years have past since i built my last machine and its time to move up a gear!

i have sourced componets from hardwareversand.de and need some advice on what to add/take off?

bear in mind i would like to make this wireless, play lots of games and generally eat anything that is thrown at it! gone for the Sandy Bridge Intel set up and would like it to last a little longer than 4 years too!!

Corsair 650HX, 650 Watt
    NZXT Phantom Big Tower - Black , ATX, ohne Netzteil

Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9

LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray Brenner bulk
    LG GH24LS50 Retail schwarz

OCZ SSD Vertex 2 120GB 8,9cm (3,5")
    WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 8,9cm(3,5")
    Western Digital Caviar GreenPower 2TB SATA II

XFX RADEON HD 6950 800M 2GB DDR5 DUAL DP HDMI DUAL DVI

Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

Samsung XL2270HD LED-TV 55,88cm (22")

Any suggestions are welcome! :p

Unless you are a total audiophile, then dump the soundcard (the onboard should be perfect) and spend the change on a bigger monitor

I would also recommend the samsung F3 harddrives as always (f4 out now?) they seem to have the edge

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Unless you are a total audiophile, then dump the soundcard (the onboard should be perfect) and spend the change on a bigger monitor

I would also recommend the samsung F3 harddrives as always (f4 out now?) they seem to have the edge

I think the 320Gb is the largest 7200rpm F4 drive that has been released so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Yeah i have to agree. Drop the sound card, onboard is fine, or get one of the lower end x-fi cards. Also drop the WD green hard drive, they are very very slow for gaming as they are meant to be stuck in a NAS or lowe power HTPC's. The F3/F4 still have the lowest fail rate in the business. Also, if you are getting a blu-day drive, there is no need for a second dvd drive. And without a doubt, spend the money on a larger monitor if you have the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Keywal

Thanks for the replies!

Sound card gone! (i thought as much! ;))

also went for the 2tb WD green drive to just hold all the crap i have accumulated over the years.. wanted the sata iii WD 1tb to hold my music and 'common' files and then, obviously the SSD to hold my OS and apps.

i have a question regarding the mobo... have any of you seen any tests where SATA II hardware was running in SATA III ports. i know there will be no performance gain but will there be degradation compared to running SATA II in SATA II ports?

Also, is 650w enough? i'd rather over shoot than things not to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'm going to have to disagree with the others on this one. I've been using an X-Fi XtremeGamer in my rig for the guts of three years, and I really couldn't go back to onboard sound. I'm not an audiophile by an stretch of the word, but I do pay more attention to sound than most.

I have my X-Fi paired with a cheap 5.1 setup, so nothing fancy, about €200 worth for both, but having an EQ that actually works - WLP, Winamp, VLC are pretty horrible in comparison - crisp, clear audio, there's no contest IMO.

• Advertisement

An x-fi from three years ago is pretty much about the same quality of onboard sound chip used these days, quite a few motherboards(The one you selected is one of them i believe) have the x-fi sf222(i think) built in to the board. As for the sata question, its fine, there will be no degradation, but also no benefits to be seen. Also, the 650w PSU will be fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Serephucus wrote: »
    I'm going to have to disagree with the others on this one. I've been using an X-Fi XtremeGamer in my rig for the guts of three years, and I really couldn't go back to onboard sound. I'm not an audiophile by an stretch of the word, but I do pay more attention to sound than most.

I have my X-Fi paired with a cheap 5.1 setup, so nothing fancy, about €200 worth for both, but having an EQ that actually works - WLP, Winamp, VLC are pretty horrible in comparison - crisp, clear audio, there's no contest IMO.

I would not underestimate the quality of the Realtek HD onboard chipsets (the one being recommended here) they are very good and stand up very well to X-Fi Titanium for example.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-373-2.htm

Thanks man,

they make a compeling arguement and the results speak for themselves! :D

its too close to throw away over 100 euro on. i have already opted for a larger monitor instead! :p

Think its nearly ready to go at this stage unless anyone can see any other additions i could make???

There is always something you can add on, but do you REALLY need it? In this case just go with what you have selected at the moment, you can always add on a few things down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

Just to let you know that if you do decide to go with this motherboard and purchase another 6950 it will only run two cards in x8 as opposed to x16. Not a major factor as the difference between two cards running in x16 and x8 is only ~5%. The Gigabyte P67 - UD7 is the best motherboard for the Sandybridge processors at the moment. I think it's cheaper too.

• Advertisement

Sean i hate to rain on your parade but you not quite correct.

First i read this
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/284597-12-gigabyte-p67a-asus-maximus-extreme#t1950225

then it led me to this..
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1466/3/
    in the legit reviews it said,
    'ASUS went with an NVIDIA NF200 chip on the board to boost the number of PCIe lanes up to 32. This means you can now run dual-GPUs are x16 on each slot or a set of three cards in Triple SLI at x16/x8/x8 for improved performance.'

if i could afford 3 of those cards there would be nothing else in the world this thing wouldn't run! :p
    but alas i am choosing 1 now with the hope of running 2 later on!

The board your suggesting has promise and looks like a sturdy overclocker option but as i have read in the last few hours, there's lot of talk and a failure to deliver at time.
    add that to the option of P67 or X58 and the verdict seems to be X58.

Advertisement