Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Darren Bent hands in transfer request

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Martin O'Neill must be fuming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

I just don't understand why he'd want to move considering how much Sunderland keep improving and the stability they have at the moment. They could be playing in Europe next season too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bit expensive for what is essentially a penatly taker. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

why would he want to go to villa when there is talk of houllier being sacked???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Totally side-ways (if not a little downward) move for Bent.

Must get a decent sign on fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Bent Likes to be number one if he's not he can get self absorbed and mope about the place better off getting rid then waiting for him to come around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Lerner is hardly backing Houllier so heavily in the transfer market when he's about to sack him?

15 - Of Darren Bent's 81 PL goals since Aug 2005, 15 have been penalties, compared to 3 of 82 (Drogba) & 5 of 82 (Rooney). Typecast.

hadn't realised he was so close to Drogba and Rooney on goalscoring front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It's all talk from the fans is all. I doubt Randy would give him a penny to spend if he didn't have his utmost faith in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im shocked at this, now villa is a big club, bigger than sunderland imo but at this moment in time Sunderland has alot going for it

silly stuff from bent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Great deal all round tbf. Sunderland get a shedload of cash and they have aleady got Gyan who is a ready made replacement.

Bent goes to Villa where he will be the number 1 striker and Villa get a player that will score a shedload of goals. Whatever about Houllier and Villa's current form, they won't go down and they do have a decent squad and some really exciting young players. Add Bent to that and they will power back up the table.

Brilliant deal for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Happy about this deal, will allow Welbeck to develop fuller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Bent Likes to be number one if he's not he can get self absorbed and mope about the place better off getting rid then waiting for him to come around

That is spot on,

He outperformed Jones all the time, and was always number one in Sunderland fan's eyes,

Since Jones has gone, Bent has not looked happy at all - especially considering Jones was his aide.He has not gelled with Gyan who was purchased for more money and both of them have been outperformed by Welbeck anytime i have seen them this season.

He has not looked happy at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Lukker- wrote: »
    Totally side-ways (if not a little downward) move for Bent.

Must get a decent sign on fee.
    Yeah. He's not supposed to know that yet though is he. Sounds like he's been tapped up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

This does not reflect well on Bent imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PHB wrote: »

I could well see Sunderland making a real push to sign him now with the Bent cash.

United have been strongly linked with Henderson, so there could be something there - especially if United were to follow up the interest we are (again, strongly) rumoured to have in Benzema in the summer (before the court case stuff) and this January (before Higuain got crocked).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭elspecia

Agree that its a great deal for both parties, but Wellbeck is only on Loan, therefore Bruce will need to use some of the money to sign a replacement striker.

Who could be possible sign, Keane maybe, but he only has 4years left in him and how much are you going to pay for him and will he be willing to leave London, because i believe him not wanting to leave London is a sticking point in his move to Birmingham.

Wellbeck is another possibility, but willfergie let him go, i very much doubt it unless he get outrageous money for him, wellbeck is looking like genuine talent who could become a big player for Utd next season. With them competing on both major fronts and also the fact you can play out wide and up top.

There probably isn't any other striker around that Sunderland could affordcwho is proven at the premier league level and offers you a long term option,well maybe Adebayor(misses so many chances its kinda funny) will want crazy money and isn't worth it IMO.

PHB wrote: »

Yeah this can go one of two ways still, it depends on who Sunderland sign with the money.

Welbeck is injured at the moment, I know it is not long term, but Sunderland fans will still be calling for another striker, they still need one even when Welbeck is back.

If they spend the money on a wide player or someone else in midfield then Welbeck will be used up front from now on.

To be honest though, he has always impressed me more playing out wide than upfront. He gets to use his pace more and creates much more space for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Gyan, Frazier Campbell and Welback are fine. They'll still need one back up one!

If Bent is worth 18m how much is Sandra worth? 25m?

• Advertisement

How many games has Campbell played this year for Sunderland?I totally forgot about him:rolleyes:

elspecia wrote: »
    How many games has Campbell played this year for Sunderland?I totally forgot about him:rolleyes:

I doubt he will play again this season anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Lerner is hardly backing Houllier so heavily in the transfer market when he's about to sack him?

If things continue as they are there'll be no choice

I doubt he will play again this season anyways.

Assume his injured then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Copy and past this from twitter did we?

Go on the Henry Winter.

Assume his injured then?

Yeah went out early on this season with a bad knee injury, not expected back until May.

well 6 mil for Makoun and now 18 mil for Bent, thats alot of money to spend especially if your about to sack the manager :D

Houllier is going no where, his the name and has a track record and i think he will help villa finish top half and then next season look to challenge for the top 4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Who is Sandra ?

Assume his injured then?

gold star

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

crazy money being talked about.

Think of the quality thats available for 18m!

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Who is Sandra ?

Harrys wife :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

I'm very surprised by this, supposedly handed in one in August aswell, I'm confused :confused:

does anyone have a link to skysports news could ye please send me a pm,

cheers

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Who is Sandra ?

Redknapps wife I think,

When Redknapp said his wife would have scored commenting on a Bent missed header. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sunderland could do worse than Roque Santa Cruz as a replacement.

They need an immediate one in my opinion though, and he has gone to Blackburn for the remainder of the season.

• Advertisement

Maybe Robbie Keane?

RSC is gone back to Blackburn.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They need an immediate one in my opinion though, and he has gone to Blackburn for the remainder of the season.

Ah, didn't realise he'd already moved back.

Carlton Cole it is so :D

judas101 wrote: »

Didnt Spurs pay that much for him too?

kryogen wrote: »
    gold star

Gold Star...Hells Yeah :D

So english strikers are still the most overpriced thing in world football, Carroll is apparently worth 35 mil according to one paper yesterday and Bent 18 mil,

Where as you look at Higuain who cost Real 10 mil 4 years ago, i'd have Higuain in my team well before Bent and Carroll (in fact i'd have Kevin Davies in my team ahead of Carroll)

judas101 wrote: »

You'd prob get Benzema for 10 in the summer, dunno if he has the right attitude to be a success in the premier league tho

Also he could be in Jail by the summer as a result of his fun time with those 16 years olds

• Advertisement

orourkeda wrote: »
    Copy and past this from twitter did we?

Go on the Henry Winter.
    Haha no I didn't guy beside me in college said it to me stole it from him he might of taken it from twitter though:pac:

Haha no I didn't guy beside me in college said it to me stole it from him he might of taken it from twitter though:pac:

I thought it was a typo for Sandro :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Didnt Spurs pay that much for him too?

Think they paid around that much. Sold for 10m however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I can't help but think that Adebayor is going to end up at Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

You'd prob get Benzema for 10 in the summer

Doubt that very much.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I can't help but think that Adebayor is going to end up at Sunderland.

Sunderland won't pay the 160,000 a week his on I'd imagine, also his too similar a play to Jones who didn't seem to fit into Bruce's system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

in fact i'd have Kevin Davies in my team ahead of Carroll

I was taking your post seriously until that, man :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Gold Star...Hells Yeah :D

So english strikers are still the most overpriced thing in world football, Carroll is apparently worth 35 mil according to one paper yesterday and Bent 18 mil,

Where as you look at Higuain who cost Real 10 mil 4 years ago, i'd have Higuain in my team well before Bent and Carroll (in fact i'd have Kevin Davies in my team ahead of Carroll)

Ah for flip sake would you have a bit of cop on and compare like with like here. Higuan came to Real as youngster out of Argentina, a great youngster but no more. Bent is a proven PL goalscorer for years, the best outside the top 4 (expect Torres if he finds form of course.) 24 PL goals last year if you'll recall, and Carroll is only rumoured to be worth 35m according to a newspaper during a transfer window.

In short you're so all over the place with your comparisons that it's nonsensical.

Sunderland won't pay the 160,000 a week his on I'd imagine, also his too similar a play to Jones who didn't seem to fit into Bruce's system

I'd say City will cover a lot of his wages wherever he goes.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Doubt that very much.

Well The Special One doesn't want him, his only still there because of the injury to Higuain, and alot of rumours floating around, that Ruud van Niestlroy is going back to Real soon.

So he'll be out in the cold and if his not in Mourinho's plan's he'll want him shipped out fast

• Advertisement
Advertisement