Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetes and hypothyroid meds

Options
  • 17-01-2011 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Any one here Diabeteic type 2 and on hypothyroid meds and possibly crestor too, and still having issues possibly to the medication interactions ?? I sure would like to hear your experiences ..??

I am off all meds for diabetes
    prognosed diabetic type 2 ,, that was 2-.5 years ago hb1ac was about 14
    just before i was admitted to hospital the meters i used just showed error I read the manual for them they could not read over 30....
    yes that says 30 it is not a typo..

At the time I used to play tennis and go swimming . So I did exercise .

I was given a useless diet by the Endo group .
    They are a looong way behind on diets ,their principals are ancient .And not much short of reckless..
    Issue is they do not keep up with advancements, funding I guess..

I was given diabetic meds for a month then I stopped the lot on a trustworthy friends advice..Big Step
    Endo told me I would be on meds for life# I am all for meds when required they are great,,
    I would see snow infront of my eyes..the massively high sugar content in me , causing such issues..

I exercised frequently cut carbs but that was not, enough had to start eating particular foods to help insulin sensativity , some of the foods are soo bitter but they worked they have actually been used for thousands of years , in the major continents ..
    now my hb1ac is 5.8 -6.1
    I can lower it by being mean to myself ,, but I feel good there ..

Issue is I suspect the Eltroxin I take .50mg interacts with the 5 mg crestor Itake

anyone else with similar issues,

by the way I read in other posts people low carbing , and high protein , that is a unhealthy way to diet I tried it ,It is unhealthy in the long term , the proteins need to be replaced primarily by good fats , feks Avocado , wild pink or red salmon for their omega 3 , good seeds for this are ground flax or flax oil, but flax conversion may not work too well if you have endo issues, but the fiber in them will certainly help,,

PLEASE NOTE Not normal pink salmon even if it is fresh it is almost all farm fed with wheat soya etc, so has little omega 3 value, and way too much omga 6, mackeral is a good source of omega 3 ..
    key to good fats is omega 3 to 6 ratio googlE this if it is new to you..
    the science world is only opening its eyes to this now

The information above is based on my Personal diet, and Not recommended for anyone at all unless they consult with their respective dietians ,I am not a Doc,

I expect to be off crestor too, soon hopefully, As my thyroid meds have been slightly increased, hence my cholesterol levels are quite normal now total is 5.2, but will not stop the crestor till my next fasting blood test..

Edit nothing wrong with cholesterol as mothers milk is almost 85% CHOLESTEROL OUR BODIES NEED IT , , and about 85% cholesterol in our bodies is made by our own body as we need it to do repairs/and brain functions , my plan is to lower the triglycerides,which are found in cholesterol , I have done this successfully
    by eating wild red salmon tinned ,pink is good to but it has about half the omega 3 unfortunately red fresh salmon does not seem to be available here ..

http://ezinearticles.com/?Omega-3-and-Triglycerides---Could-It-Really-Be-That-Simple?&id=88898

chessguy

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm type 1 and have recently been told that I have a dodgy thyroid as well. They have not got as far as giving me any medication for the thyroid yet, but that is just a matter of time as to when it gives up completely so they will just be monitoring me for the next ??? long.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭chessguy

hmm did your Endo, make you aware of the following ...Soya/ goitrogens/iodine

The thyroid issue it can well be a temporary passing thing, The Endo will know withva few tests.
    I myself like others I know must be careful with soya,lately it is used in a lot of products like bread etc,

also goitrogens , and iodine these things have adverse affects on the thyroid, and in some cases too much goitrogenic foods can actually be the cause ,

this does not mean one should give everything up,
    here is a basic reference

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm

and
    http://www.ithyroid.com/goitrogens.htm
    Just ask the Endo what they make of goitrogens and soya
    if they look blank

A good tip depending on your Endo, just mention your colleague has these issues and avoiding these foods helps him, and the next time you visit I guess they will have read upon it,and give you a good opinion.

Sometimes they need a gentle nudge with a little tact brings the best out in them ..

Goodluck ..

chessguy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The diabetes people at the hospital haven't told me anything about the thyroid issue as yet, well other than the dietician having a look on the computer to see what it was that the GP's surgery had been repeatedly testing me for when she saw all the tests pop up on her screen.

I eventually got a phone call from one of the GP's though who gave me the details of what they were looking at and that they are now just going to keep an eye on it until it finally gives up. Didn't say that I should be doing anything different in the mean time though, and didn't really tell me anything more than I had already got from the dietician at the hospital. The dietician was only interested in my carb diet as far as the diabetes goes anyway and if she was going to put me forward for the pump.

Looks good as they are monitoring , this is quite normal , hopefully its a passing thing,The same was done for me.

It might be an idea to open up a conversation with the dietitian, in regards to ,
    Soya/ goitrogens/iodine, and hopefully they will expand or advise upon it , as it definitely makes a difference,

you could be pleasantly surprised,by their knowledge on these foods, and their effects, and if the dietitian is good she will read up on it if not sure ,

some dietitians are quite open ,to " new ideas"..

Goodlluck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Aergem

Does anybody know if Armour is available in Ireland? Have just read a book called Stop the thyroid madness and am very anxious to get some desiccated thyroid. At present am on T4 medication - I have no thyroid as a result of papillary carcinoma 16 years ago - would really appreciate any helpful information :o

• Advertisement

Hope this helps I read this in old post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66822892

http://www.bonsecoursclinicdublin.ie/
    Consultant Endocrinologist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Aergem

That's great thank you! :o Everyone has been really helpful - can't believe how much info that I'm recieving - it's brilliant :o

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭GlennGeo

Im type 1 and i am on eltroxing 100mg for thyroid

hmmmmm.. here we go (I have been busy)
    For hypothyroidism you are prescribed T4 Eltroxin, the idea is your body will convert this to a good form of t3 sounds
    good in theory, lmao

when docs check test blood results even though a test shows in the lowest category they tend to say its okay ,
    because they are general doctors and even though they are great they have no time to read up they are far too busy ..hmmmm
    make sure you get your results printed out,keep them
    Get all the following checked it is extremely imortant,##
    get vitamin D25 checked ( its the one you get from sunshine,) you can also get a tablet supplement)its called D3
    potassium
    vitamin b12
    sodium too
    and magnesium too
    as they all affect thyroid issues and often these alone can be the permanent fix.WoW
    do not be afraid to ask for them they are yours#
    then when at home check your results with the recommended on the tests ( the recommended is usually on the forms right next to it,
    And guess what i will almost guarantee if you have diabetes or thyroid issues 2 of the minerals at least will be low to very low , Voila now get this sorted.( If you need to take minerals make sure they are chelated ( not in the oxide format) which means you basically absorb them better ( when chelated they usually end in ..ate,
    And get the test repeated in 3 months again .

These things are so darn important , that lack of these can cause so many issues,
    Why ??/ ?????
    hmmm ....Basically we work of electric signals these minerals ensure are signals are sent around correct,
    otherwise we are like a buggy computer.
    If your doc has not done these tests do ask why,
    also if you have thyroid issues make sure the RT3 free T3 and free T4 tests are done ,
    and also the cortisol test to check your adrenals, otherwise the eltroxin is just gonna come out in your pee.
    and may look good in the results but not actually help you..
    If he/ she says the RT3 test is useless then show them the RT3 printout it is ABSOLUTELY required to make a correct diagnosis,

iF you have a thyroid issue please read this .
    http://www.holtorfmed.com/handouts.html
    Now on the left click thyroid disorders
    and and you will see the handouts
    select this >>> Tissue Levels of T3 with T4 Only Perparations

also select this >>> Reverse T3 is the Best Measurement of Tissue Thyroid LevelView PDF
    If you have to prinf these pDF'S out show them to your Endo or doc,
    now you will clearly see why T4 Alone will not and CANNOT resolve your issues(over a longer peroid things will get worse if you take T4 only )
    you always need T3 MEDICATION too IF YOU HAVE HYPOTHYROIDISM to get optimal resiults
    the blood test they do shows TSh and T3 etc but the tests only show what is in your blood not what you actually use and absorb ,

so the tests may show great but you are not getting the benefit , as diff cells and organs are not getting the T3
    Also avod goitrogenic foods,
    Like brocolli unless cooked well and eaten about 4 hours after medication,
    and do not touch soya it affects your medication
    they even hide soya in breads now..gRR
    I am no doctor I cannot advise on medical issues I am no fool either

goodluck
    chessguy

Advertisement