Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sour Cream

Options
  • 17-01-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Any ideas on what I can cook/bake to use up a tub of sour cream.....it always goes to waste on me. And now the Avonmore tube i usually get is bigger???

I always buy sour cream for mexican food but it never uses up the tub....help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RJC09

you can use it watered down with milk anywhere the recipe calls for buttermilk. say the recipe calls for 200ml buttermilk, you can use 100ml sour cream and 100ml milk.
    You could make soda bread, pancakes, scones, batters for fish/chicken using it as a substitute for buttermilk. go to allrecipes.co.uk and search for buttermilk. or search for sour cream!

sour cream is gorgeous on top of soup, or on baked potatoes with some chopped chives or spring onion. or you could make a baked sweet potato, heat some jarred salsa, sweetcorn and kidney beans in the microwave, pour over the baked sweet potato and top with sour cream for a fast meal.

hope that helps a bit!

ETA: tesco now sell small tubs of sour cream for 99c, its about the same size as a regular carton of cream. find its just enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

Beef or Pork Stroganoff!!!!

Sour crream is the main component although some people use ordinary cream and bang in some lemon juice whihc works just aswell IMO.

Want a recipe?

Slam

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

I'd love a recipe for a Stroganoff if you had one!!

I use any leftover sour cream for dipping tortilla chips in, and on rarer occasions celery and carrot sticks.

Groovy, get your laughing gear aroudn this:

Fillet steak -sliced into strips or cubed (you're own preference here)
    Mushrooms & onions - sliced
    sourcream
    splash 'O brandy
    Garlic clove mushed

Ferociously heat up a pan with olive oil then lash in the steak, drop in the garlic and stir fry this for no more than a minute, flame with the brandy - remove and set aside. Remember this is fillet steak so you need next to no cooking at all!

Onions and Shrooms into the same pan and bring down...DO NOT COLOUR..squeeze of lemon juice will keep the shrooms from colouring.

Bring in your sour cream and a nip of boullion - bring this way, way down and when teh sauce has reached the right consistency (you'll know) sling in the steak and serve immediately with a huge pile of mashed potatos..sometiems served with rice either or is good.

Finito el binito!

This is also done with Pork - but if you use pork, use fillet again. This is a dish that if over cooked the meat will be like chewing on the end of a rats arse.

Slamington

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Thanks, I can really feel the enthusiasm from this!

Really looking forward to cooking this soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Groovy, get your laughing gear aroudn this:

Fillet steak -sliced into strips or cubed (you're own preference here)
    Mushrooms & onions - sliced
    sourcream
    splash 'O brandy
    Garlic clove mushed

Ferociously heat up a pan with olive oil then lash in the steak, drop in the garlic and stir fry this for no more than a minute, flame with the brandy - remove and set aside. Remember this is fillet steak so you need next to no cooking at all!

Onions and Shrooms into the same pan and bring down...DO NOT COLOUR..squeeze of lemon juice will keep the shrooms from colouring.

Bring in your sour cream and a nip of boullion - bring this way, way down and when teh sauce has reached the right consistency (you'll know) sling in the steak and serve immediately with a huge pile of mashed potatos..sometiems served with rice either or is good.

Finito el binito!

This is also done with Pork - but if you use pork, use fillet again. This is a dish that if over cooked the meat will be like chewing on the end of a rats arse.

Slamington

Nice recipe but where's the paprika? That's what stroganoff is all about. Add it to the beef and the vegetables as they fry. 2 tsps should do it.

Dude, you'll love it!

Loosen the belt and get beasted right in there, it's a delicate dish so good with a proper white wine.

Slam

trackguy wrote: »
    Nice recipe but where's the paprika? That's what stroganoff is all about. Add it to the beef and the vegetables as they fry. 2 tsps should do it.

Paprika - depending only on what part of Russia you take the recipe from.

I don't think it works, but that's just me

Slam

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Zxc01

grandslamsmith
    thanks very much for this
    going to defo make this though my other half does not like onion much, me i love them, what about a substitute for onions any recommendations

Such energy in your post ..........love it!

Onions are the most uncreditted vegtable on the face of the planet - I even learned how to juggle with Onions, that's how versatile these bad lads are!

In short, no, not really as far as a substitute goes for this dish....BUT....here's what you do. If your knife skills aren't face meltingly fantastic then grate the onion instead. Ultimately you want the flavour of the onion rather than the texture, onions interact with everything else in the dish, they are both flavour inhancers and flavour carriers...they don't need 'face time' ie hey look at me I'm a huge wadge of onion in your Stroganoff!!

The grated onion will melt down in the cooking process and pretty much dissappear. Another trick I saw was blitzing the onion, taking the pulp and warpping in muslin and squeezing out the juice and using that in the dish.

The classic mix of Onion and Mushroom is know as a duxelle - it's little more than a base layer uopn which the world can be built.........recipe-wise :)

At the back end of the day, fiddle around with recipes and see what happens...there are no right or wrong answers...unless someone you fed ends up in casualty :)

Slam

• Advertisement
Advertisement