Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennedy's Bar on Georges Quay (Directly at the entrance to Tara St. Station). Closed?

Options
  • 17-01-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks.
    One of Dublin best (if not THE best) pubs seems to be closed.
    Does anyone know why?

Kennedy’s on Georges Quay has long been my favourite spot for a few pints. It’s also a bar I share with friends and family. Ciaran is always glad to see you and the Guinness is crackin’.

When I began going there (only in the past 12 years) it was a real gem of a place, especially as all the other boozers in Dublin were slowly descending into Celtic Tiger tainted sh1t-holes I wouldn’t go it to, even to use the Jacks.

At the time Kennedys didn’t even have a actual “Ladies”, the Mrs had to go upstairs, but it didn’t take away from the place. it gave it more character.

In recent years Ciaran has begin to play music and has even played my Bro’s own band’s CDs. The recent addition of a smoking area at the back has made it the full package.

However when a group of us were organising our Christmas pints in Kennedys we realised that it has been closed for a good few weeks. Talking to a mate last night he said he went to in the night of Arcade Fire in the O2 and it was closed then. That's was the beginning of December.

I know they always closed up over the Crimbo for a few days but never this long.

Also I wouldn’t say its in need of a refurbishment, maybe move the Chet Baker Live in Milan poster around to a different wall……:)

I’m really hoping Ciaran hasn’t decided to close up shop. And I hope all is well for himself and the Family.

Can someone shed any light on this….?

Thanks in advance Folks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Was really disappointed to find it closed on New Year's Eve.

Don't know any more about it than that unfortunately.

It's my favourite pub in Dublin. I really hope it reopens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Great pub, it would be very sad if it has closed?

Has anyone tried it lately?

Do you know if it is actually still closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

reprazant wrote: »
    Great pub, it would be very sad if it has closed?

Has anyone tried it lately?

Do you know if it is actually still closed?

Drove by it on Saturday @ about 21:00. Closed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

1968 wrote: »

Thanks 1968.

I was gonna look for them on Facebook, but thought naaaaahhhhh, they won't on there....:p

• Advertisement

oldscoil wrote: »
    Thanks 1968.

I was gonna look for them on Facebook, but thought naaaaahhhhh, they won't on there....:p

According to their Facebook:

http://en-gb.facebook.com/people/J-Kennedy-Bar/100001860886869

J Kennedy Bar closed for repairs. We had a bit of burst pipe problem during the cold snap! Will keep you posted.

So fingers crossed they'll be open soon.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Good to hear. Grand little spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

Great to hear, it's a great spot and the pints are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What's that?

Dublin city forum pints in Kennedy's when it reopens?

Why that's a great idea AnonoBoy!

From their Facebook page:
    Latest update is that it looks like we will not be open until May. The water did more damage than initially thought. Hope to see you all back then. Not all at the same time though; don't think all our 1847 friends would fit in all at once!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MossyK

Kennedys is under repair and should be open again before Christmas. Same boozer and same music, pints etc. Should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MossyK

Its open again

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What are the prices like?

Is it a proper auld man pub?

It's been done up and has lost some of its 'dingy auld pub' appeal in doing so.

However the music is still great in there (what other Dublin pub plays full Yo La Tengo albums from start to finish?) so hopefully it will continue to be an enjoyable spot for pints.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I loved that place, but not long before it closed it was getting a bit hipster-ish. The barman is a top man though.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I loved that place, but not long before it closed it was getting a bit hipster-ish. The barman is a top man though.

It became a haunt for a lot of young actors I noticed. During the theatre festival you couldn't move for the luvvies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Before it closed I found it got way too packed to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 upandover

Old thread, but I used to love going in here for a quiet pint to enjoy a chat or just read and listen to the owner's great music.

Went in tonight after the refurb and renaming to "the workshop" and jesus what have they done. It's now a gastropub, seemingly for **** from the IFSC, with the ****test music imaginable (somewhere in the space between dance cliche and adult movie soundtrack). Bowls of wine and champagne on the bar, clueless barman, 7.60 for a bottle of stout. Horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible....

upandover wrote: »
    Old thread, but I used to love going in here for a quiet pint to enjoy a chat or just read and listen to the owner's great music.

Went in tonight after the refurb and renaming to "the workshop" and jesus what have they done. It's now a gastropub, seemingly for **** from the IFSC, with the ****test music imaginable (somewhere in the space between dance cliche and adult movie soundtrack). Bowls of wine and champagne on the bar, clueless barman, 7.60 for a bottle of stout. Horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible....

Ah boo.

They must have sold the place then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Ah boo.

They must have sold the place then.

No, was talking to the new manager last week
    The Kennedy family still own it this guy is leasing it from them

As above, horrid place now
    Old work tools on the walls etc..
    New manager kept trying to insist they've kept the
    "Warm inviting feel" of the old place...
    They have in their ring

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

What stout was €7.60? Hardly Guinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pobb

Ah sh*te.

Always loved the old Kennedy's. Shame to hear that another pub has fallen to gentrification.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pobb wrote: »
    Always loved the old Kennedy's. Shame to hear that another pub has fallen to gentrification.

+1

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

So Ciaran is not behind the bar any more, playing his eclectic tunes?

What stout was €7.60? Hardly Guinness?

O'Hara's. Nice enough, but not when listening to godawful music while suited twits from some corporate dickhead hothousing project try to out-prick each other

So Ciaran is not behind the bar any more, playing his eclectic tunes?

No. I asked clueless barman (appeared not to know what I meant by 'stout'). He said they are playing new music.

Pobb wrote: »
    Ah sh*te.

I know what you mean, but I hate this term. They are not gentry, ie well-bred, being catered to. They are pricks in suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Sad to see. I noticed the new pub sign last weekend. The old sign for J Kennedy is still on the building, vertically on a sign, so it will probably in time become a 'ghost sign'.

Was never in the old Kennedys but this new place doesn't sound like an improvement. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Damn. I had been meaning to make it back there for ages now, sad to hear I've missed my chance, was one of my favourite bars in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Another one bites the dust. :(

Advertisement