Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennedy's Bar on Georges Quay (Directly at the entrance to Tara St. Station). Closed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

upandover wrote: »
    No. I asked clueless barman (appeared not to know what I meant by 'stout'). He said they are playing new music.

The fact that Ciaran would play whole Neu or YLT albums from start to finish was part of what made me love the place.
    upandover wrote: »
    O'Hara's. Nice enough, but not when listening to godawful music while suited twits from some corporate dickhead hothousing project try to out-prick each other

O'Hara's is nice but it's not 7.60 nice. I don't think I've ever seen it at that price anywhere - even the stronger stout that they do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Always found it to be a rank,smelly old kip...now that they've tried to posh it up by increasing prices I hate it even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

chopper6 wrote: »
    Always found it to be a rank,smelly old kip...now that they've tried to posh it up by increasing prices I hate it even more.

Agree completely. Drank there on and off for years (it was a work venue unfortunately). Dirty pint glasses. Their pints of Staropramen and Stella tasted like they were poured through a dirty sock.

Trond wrote: »
    Agree completely. Drank there on and off for years (it was a work venue unfortunately). Dirty pint glasses. Their pints of Staropramen and Stella tasted like they were poured through a dirty sock.

Not only that..the place was so damp that the spores from the dirty carpet and peeling walls would get into your lungs within minutes of arriving.

I always developed a chest infection after drinking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

After the flood in 2011, they foolishly did the place up and it lost most of the dive-bar charm – since then it has struggled. Still, a crying shame to see such an iconic pub literally change overnight – could something like this happen to somewhere like The Lord Edward, Grogans or Mulligans? And if so, shouldn’t we protect some of these pubs as ‘culturally important’ or something?

• Advertisement

I don't really get the whole iconic thing when it comes to Kennedy's to be honest. Fair enough its an old pub in a good location but there's nothing else to it. They made their bed years ago. Weird ass techno nights, xmas parties and whatever else they got away with. Concentrated on too many things and mastered none of them.

Again just my own opinion but Its nothing in comparison to the likes of Mulligans/Grogan's in terms of history, service or vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pobb

I don't really get the whole iconic thing when it comes to Kennedy's to be honest. Fair enough its an old pub in a good location but there's nothing else to it. They made their bed years ago. Weird ass techno nights, xmas parties and whatever else they got away with. Concentrated on too many things and mastered none of them.

Again just my own opinion but Its nothing in comparison to the likes of Mulligans/Grogan's in terms of history, service or vibe.

You're thinking of the wrong Kennedy's there.

Pobb wrote: »
    You're thinking of the wrong Kennedy's there.

Oops I am indeed. Now the historic comment makes far more sense.!

I'm not a fan of the other place as you can see!!!

Oops I am indeed. Now the historic comment makes far more sense.!

I'm not a fan of the other place as you can see!!!

Ha.

I like the one on Westland Row too - I've had some great nights at the techno gigs in the basement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

What's weird is that it was probably doing quite well as it was and now will probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

These places are horrible, and the price they are trying to charge is scandulous.

I got charged 7.25 for a bottle of cider in a Galway bay pub that was 5.75 a year ago just last week. As a result they have lost my custom forever

If Guinness can be sold for €4 a pint, O Hara's is worth about €1. Awful piss. WHo want a pint of stout that tastes like coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

popcorn.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

anncoates wrote: »
    What's weird is that it was probably doing quite well as it was and now will probably not.

I doubt it was doing well. It was very quiet anytime I was in there. I'd imagine that if all the people who said they loved it so much actually went regularily, it wouldn't have changed.

The place hasn't changed hands btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

reprazant wrote: »
    I doubt it was doing well. It was very quiet anytime I was in there. I'd imagine that if all the people who said they loved it so much actually went regularily, it wouldn't have changed.

The place hasn't changed hands btw.

I've been in there before when I was quite busy.

And on the subject of Mulligans,what,exactly is so good about it?

It's always jammed with sweaty people in shirts and the noise level is appalling..usually nowhere to sit,expensive and very ordinary pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

And on the subject of Mulligans,what,exactly is so good about it?

It's always jammed with sweaty people in shirts and the noise level is appalling..usually nowhere to sit,expensive and very ordinary pints.

Agreed. A few years back it seemed way better. Now I just get the feeling it depending on that reputation. Right about the pints too. Way too cold. A couple of weeks ago I had the best pint in ages in the palace. Creamy and just below room temp.

Agreed. A few years back it seemed way better. Now I just get the feeling it depending on that reputation. Right about the pints too. Way too cold. A couple of weeks ago I had the best pint in ages in the palace. Creamy and just below room temp.

I think it's one of these places that people go to because they think it's cool to go to.

I heard somebody talk about "culturally important" in relation to Mulligans and the Lord Edward....they are PUBS...they have no cultural significance at all.

Pubs arent there to do us a favour,they're there to make money for the owners who arent above putting prices up whenever the hell they feel like it.

Just for the record,i had my worst pint *ever* in this country in the Lord Edward,it was flat with a bit of crud floating in it..when i returned it yer man made a face as if it was coming out of his arse pocket.

I've never been back.

Id a few lovely pints in Mulligans recently. It was a Saturday afternoon rather than a Friday night so maybe that had something to do with it. The place can get very annoying with its properly jammed.

Which Mulligans are people talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pobb wrote: »
    Which Mulligans are people talking about?

I assume Poolbeg Street.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I assume Poolbeg Street.

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

I heard somebody talk about "culturally important" in relation to Mulligans and the Lord Edward....they are PUBS...they have no cultural significance at all.

You could at least quote me…

Anyway, I totally disagree with you about their lack of cultural importance – pubs (good, established ones anyway) are as important to Dublin as cafes are to Paris – from a purely architectural point of you, the likes of Mulligan’s, Stags Head, Long Hall, International, Lord Edward, are deserving of protection, and that’s before you even begin to delve into the events that took place in them. It’s a shame you’ve let a single bad experience in the Lord Edward keep you from returning – it’s a unique pub, with in my opinion, a very decent pint

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭markmacken

This sounds pretty much on the ball to me. I was never in Kennedy's all that much. But whenever I was I noticed that there was fairly eclectic music, which would have been a plus for me. However, the pub probably steered too far from its old-school roots to keep a regular custom going throughout the week.

Advertisement