Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying curtain pole.

• 17-01-2011 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Ive got a really long bay window in my sitting room (10-12ft maybe more) with dry lined walls. Ive had problems trying to keep the fixtures for the pole staying in the wall. The toggle bolts just wont hold (metal or plastic). The last lot cost €18 in B and Q and were useless.

Is there any advice you can give to keep this in...theres holes galore in the wall now and im reluctant to make anymore until we get hte right fixtures. Or is it a case of getting a professional in at this stage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

Had the exact same problem. Our wall was drylined with cavity block behind it. Large window and tried all the same fixings resulting in the same holy wall. After getting the house replastered I was reluctant to repeat the same mistakes. Got some 80mm frame fixings and drilled a holes through the plasterboard and into the cavity block. Inserted the fixings into the wall so that the end of the fixing was flush with the plasterboard. When I put up the curtain rails I was careful not to tighten the fixings too much as it would have pulled in the plasterboard towered the block. I'm not sure if this is the correct way or not but it worked a treat for me. I could swing out of the curtains now although I'll leave that to my little girl who will probably be doing that very soon.
    A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Thanks for that. Yeh i thought itll definitely need something stronger than just a toggle bolt to hold. I wouldnt have a clue how to do what you did.

Does anyone know of a decent carpenter in D15 that would do something like this fairly reasonably?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Drill hole, make wedge, hammer wedge into hole and thats your ground. Do it right and it'll be as solid as a rock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Use frame fixings as the poster above says and drill them into the concrete/cement/brick. Also don't buy them in the likes of B&Q/woodies. Brooks/Chadwicks will sell them for about €0.4 each. You'll need a long drill bit the correct size to go with them.

Doesn't need a carpenter, just someone who can use a drill and possibly a level to get it straight ;)

Oh also, just so you know what your looking for, frame fixings are just a very long rawl plug with a very long screw!

Hate to be a stereotypical girl, but thats even beyond my DIY skills :o My Dads already wrecked the wall and none of the lads i know would have a clue either. Need to get someone in...i honestly wouldnt even attempt it myself.

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    Hate to be a stereotypical girl, but thats even beyond my DIY skills :o My Dads already wrecked the wall and none of the lads i know would have a clue either. Need to get someone in...i honestly wouldnt even attempt it myself.

Chances are most of the holes are going to be where your dad has already make holes in the plaster board. So they just need to be drilled in with the correct masonry bit & frame fixings tapped in. There should be no new holes required. Maybe your dad could do round 2 with the approach mentioned above? ;)

Failing that someone here should be able to recommend a handy man(/woman) in your area that could do it.

Got a quote for €150 to hang the curtain pole and a mirror? Seems a lot to me. Does that seem reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭lolie

Got a quote for €150 to hang the curtain pole and a mirror? Seems a lot to me. Does that seem reasonable?

had you MUG writin on your forehead;)

lolie wrote: »
    had you MUG writin on your forehead;)
    Thought it was mental alright. Sure i wont be calling him back so. Id expect around 50 quid or so.

Thought it was mental alright. Sure i wont be calling him back so. Id expect around 50 quid or so.

That's mad money, i guess someone must be paying it, if that's what he's charging!

• Advertisement
Advertisement