Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a shooter [Xbox or PC]

Options
  • 17-01-2011 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Ok, so let me explain a bit of my background. I have an xbox 360 and I have played it a good bit. I play a good deal of games but I always like to have a game I can give a large portion of time to.

When I first got my 360 I discovered Gears of War's online multiplayer. I loved GoW's cover system and more tactical approach to games in Execution. However, I left Gears after the second instalment was painful to play with poor matchmaking and every game coming down to shotguns. With so many mechanics of #2 being so useful, I could not return to the original.

Now I play CoD. My friends play it, and I used to really enjoy it. Ever since MW2 I have devoted hours a week in Search and Destroy. Learning everything about the maps, choke points, optimal classes and tactics in general really appealed to me.
    However I grow tired of Black Ops. RC-XDs and spawn killing with snipers and 'hawks are a real let down, especially in a no-respawn gamemode. It also irks me that an overly offensive person, or a sniper wielding assualt guy can win the game over and over. Saying that, I still really enjoy the game. I just need a break.

Yesterday I played a game my brother owns: Rainbow Six Vegas 2. It was sitting in the case for almost a year and yesterday I loved it. It seems to be a fantastic game. Grand, it's dated, but the slower approach in Team Deathmatch was fun. I cannot wait to try out the SnD style game mode. However, the ranked matches were meh. Sitting in a lobby for ten minutes for a five minute game is meh, but that is not the game's fault. I might stick with this.

Next week my new PC will arrive, opening my options. I have played a bit of Counter Strike, but I am unsure if that would be my cup of tea. Battlefied BC2's Demo was enjoyable too.

I am looking for a game that
    • is slower paced than standard CoD game types.
    • has a good community.
    • tactical.
    • has few cheap win methods
    • Xbox/PC

Any suggestions? I would be willing to join a clan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Battlefield Bad Company 2
    Battlefield Bad Company 2: Vietnam

Very Little **** Talking
    Slower Paced Games,
    Very Team Based & Tactical - if you dont work with your squad you will die, and lose, a LOT.
    Few cheap win methods, its quite a balanced game..
    NO BULLSH!T KILLSTREAKS

IRL Clan plays it a lot (Xbox)

Available for PC too

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I was just about to post one word, Battlefield, but Korvanica has summed it up nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Haha, ok. I did like BC2, mainly as a medic. Which should be better, on PC or on the Xbox? Is there many people online on both (will I have any problems connecting to a low ping game?) ?

Any other suggestions?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Arma II on the PC sounds exactly what you're looking for :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Rainbow Six: Vegas was damn fine in it's day on the 360 not sure how many are playing on line though :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

BFBC2 has already been mentioned and is an obvious contender.

Also while I don't play it myself I must confess, but if you are after is a tactical war shooter for the PC then Arma 2 might be worth a look (It has it own forum under tactical shooters might be worth dipping your toes in for a look).

Outside of that you generally can't go wrong with any value multiplayer game, not sure if Team fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead count as 'slow paced', but both have good communities (can only speak for the PC on this aspect), are very team orientated and most importantly of all are bloody good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Battlefields seems to have alot of DLC, is much of it required to play online? Will I get kicked from lobbies? Is it costly?

I have actually been looking at this the past few months. It may be what I need. I hope there are many playing online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Exactly, but be sure to get Combined Ops (Arma 2 & Arrowhead expansion), not just Arma 2 or Arrowhead or You'll not be able to play online. We got our own group here and hang out in the tactical shooters forum, even have a training server setup at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Korvanica wrote: »
    Battlefield Bad Company 2
    Battlefield Bad Company 2: Vietnam

Does BC2 still have a big community or has alot of it moved on to Vietnam?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

CORaven wrote: »
    Battlefields seems to have alot of DLC, is much of it required to play online? Will I get kicked from lobbies? Is it costly?

I have actually been looking at this the past few months. It may be what I need. I hope there are many playing online.

There's only the Specact set of skins and weapons and Vietnam. Specact is added to the normal game, and won't impact you if you don't buy it.

Edit: not quite a complete answer, there's also the Onslaught DLC on consoles for co-op against AI enemies.
    Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Does BC2 still have a big community or has alot of it moved on to Vietnam?

There's still plenty playing.

Vietnam servers are separate from vanilla BC2 servers so won't be able to join if you don't have it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Yes_Man

+1 for Rainbow Six Vegas espically the sequel. I picked it up last week for less that €12 delivered on eBay

Advertisement