Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof jacket/coat recommendation

Options
  • 17-01-2011 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good waterproof coat/jacket for wet weather hillwalking? I don't particularly want to pay for the brand name, I just want the best waterproof, breathable jacket. I had a look at Portwest jackets at lunchtime but I wasn't convinced with the hoods.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Well if a brand isn't important to you, I've seen some decent coats picked up in TK Max. I think the rule does still apply, that you get what you pay for, but to a slightly lesser degree if you get lucky somewhere like the above store, or the bargain rail of your local outdoor store.

There's plenty of other breathable fabrics on the market now, not just Gore Tex, so just make sure it has some type of breathable material.

Few really important things to look for, regardless of brand, are; long sleeves with a velcro fasten strap at the ends; a long waist that won't ride up when hiking, along with draw-cords to pull in the waist. Storm flap across the front zip; zips on the pockets and a proper hood that can tighten in and ideally have a little peak to keep rain/hail out of your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

I have a Mountain Equipment Gore-tex Pro Shell jacket. I have to say it ticks all the boxes for me.
    I've worn it in brutal weather, snow, rain, hail and it's done the job perfectly.
    It's light enough to stuff into a small day bag without filling it up.
    Excellent hood, adjustable cuffs, deep Napoleon pocket etc.
    As NathanKingerlee said, you get what you pay for, and in this case I reckon it's money well spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Good sale on in Great Outdoors in Galway at the moment, picked up a nice jack wolfskin jacket myself at the weekend :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Have a look online, I got a lovely Helly Hanson waterproof jacket before christmas on mandmdirect.com, its really good quality, breathable and perfect for hill walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wipeout.wendy

the hood shouldn't have much to do with it - good non removable one- i put merit in the level of breathability and good storm flaps all round - between 5000 and 10,000 waterproofing won't break the bank and still good for high activity - the higher one ideally...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I like the Berghaus Cornice, nice long coat which covers your ass. Otherwise on Irish hills you'll spend half your day wondering whether to put on overtrousers as the weather changes.

I've since bought the Aura which is more expensive & supposedly more effective. It has the advantage of a wire peak which is great, but with the Cornice I usually wore a peaked cap underneath.

If I was starting out walking I'd get the Cornice. If you keep an eye on some discount stores (e.g. mandmdirect.co.uk) you can often pick them up cheaply enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

look at getting a agu rain cape on chainreaction cycles 35 euro i think better that any coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

get a breathable waterproof dealy online in many army surplus type places for practically nothing. apy 20-30 quid on average.

Advertisement