Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corn snake "shy" after rehousing

Options
  • 17-01-2011 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭

First post in this forum, be gentle... ;-)

We have a 2ft corn snake which has been living in a starter tub since I got him when quite young. I'd lost track of time, and didn't realise he'd gotten so big. Ah, the guilt!

Anyway, on Saturday I bought him a nice new viv, 60x45x45cm, which now contains his water bowl, tunnel shelter, stripped branch and a big plastic leafy vine, with the substrate heater at one end.

Since then he's been hiding in the cable routing cutout (about 1cm deep, 6cm wide and 45cm tall) behind the rear polystyrene section. It's only open at the bottom end, under the surface of the bark, but I assume he can get back out again if he so chooses.

The viv is positioned on a side wall of the bedroom, with the LHS shaded from the window by a bookcase. So it's not in direct sunlight, but not completely shaded either, with probably a bit more direct light than he is used to.

Should I be concerned? He ate a couple of days before I moved him, so he's well enough fed for now.

I'm thinking that maybe he's just not used to the amount of space and light.

Are there any obvious signs of physical stress than I should look out for over the next couple of weeks?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

A snake needs time to adjust to a new cage.The recommendation is to leave them totally alone for 48 hours or so.Dont disturb it,dont try to handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Great, thanks for the advice.

When I got home this evening (before you posted) I got him out from behind the back, blocked up the holes and covered the viv 90% with a thick blanket.

I can't believe I'm trying to compromise with a snake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jpkelly294

i got a black anery corn snake on weds its now friday he/she was due a feed thursday i fed him ok no problems he seems to be hiding in the warm hide out since then when i did get it he was ok with the other owner handling etc i tryed to handle him my self before his feed and he just curled up it seems like he dont like me for some reason it is in a new starter tank 2 hides water dish an heat mat he or she is about 8 to 9 weeks old is there any advice on handling it without scaring him or she i no not to handle it after feeding for 48 hours i also put a wooly glove inside so it can pick up my scent any other advice would be great regarding the day 2 day care of the snake please help me out thanks guys jp an caeser

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

jpkelly294 wrote: »
    i got a black anery corn snake on weds its now friday. he/she was due a feed thursday i fed him ok no problems he seems to be hiding in the warm hide out since then when i did get it he was ok with the other owner handling etc i tryed to handle him my self before his feed and he just curled up it seems like he dont like me for some reason it is in a new starter tank 2 hides water dish an heat mat he or she is about 8 to 9 weeks old is there any advice on handling it without scaring him or she i no not to handle it after feeding for 48 hours i also put a wooly glove inside so it can pick up my scent any other advice would be great regarding the day 2 day care of the snake please help me out thanks guys jp an caeser

Jesus punctuation.

Firstly if you only got it Wednesday you should be givimg it a few days to settle in.

Secondly are the temps right?If its staying in the warm side Id say the temps are too low.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Jesus punctuation.

Firstly if you only got it Wednesday you should be givimg it a few days to settle in.

Secondly are the temps right?If its staying in the warm side Id say the temps are too low.

temps are spot on as i got it set up for me im not trying to pick him up im just saying that he curls up when i go into the viv eg changing water an that he stays in both hot and cold hides im only asking help regards handling when he settles in and if it was normal for him to hide in both hot an warm hides dont no what u mean by jesus punctuation im very calm with him and also im just leaving him to settle into his new home

• Advertisement

jpkelly294 wrote: »
    temps are spot on as i got it set up for me im not trying to pick him up im just saying that he curls up when i go into the viv eg changing water an that he stays in both hot and cold hides im only asking help regards handling when he settles in and if it was normal for him to hide in both hot an warm hides dont no what u mean by jesus punctuation im very calm with him and also im just leaving him to settle into his new home

You can not ever have a snake cage "set up for you"

There are variables involved like the temperature of your own house etc.

You also need to be confident with the snake.

Just pick it up.

Its not going to bite you and even if it did it would probably be more like a headbutt since its so small.

Put your hand in,pick it up and dont let it sense that youre afraid of it.It will settle after a few minutes.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    You can not ever have a snake cage "set up for you"

There are variables involved like the temperature of your own house etc.

You also need to be confident with the snake.

Just pick it up.

Its not going to bite you and even if it did it would probably be more like a headbutt since its so small.

Put your hand in,pick it up and dont let it sense that youre afraid of it.It will settle after a few minutes.
    yeh thanks hellrazer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

22 completely irrelevant posts deleted

OK grammar Nazis, Trolls, personal abusers and back-seat moderators - sod off the lot of you

OP, since you clearly demonstrated that you do actually know how to use punctuation, you may find you get a more civil response if you use it appropriately in your posts,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

what size setup is the snake in , too big a setup for that age will stress it out , a large lunchbox if perfect for a while for it

take the glove out lol , it will adjust in time

you say the temps are perfect , what temps have you got it at , and what substrate are you using ,

Advertisement