Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

real rappers & studio gangsters

• 17-01-2011 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭

who in your opinion are the realest rappers & the studio gangsters??

for the realest rapper i gotta say Lil Boosie.....dudes always in some kinda trouble

for studio gangsters dr dre & even though i like his tracks rick ross..dude used to be a C.O :O

any other opinions??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I don't think any of them are real to be honest. They're all rapping in character to a large extent. I'm more interested in the quality of the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

once they make good music i dont really care:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Real rappers: MOP, Jayo Felony, WC, Z-Ro, trick-trick, Showbiz&AG, The Lox, CNN.

Studio gangsters: Game, Prodigy, Most of dipset, Rick Ross, Lil Wayne.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Sudio Gangsta's?........If you look back in the history of Gangsta Rap, you look at the first group to gain notoriaty, a little unknown group of lads going by the name N.W.A.

Lets look closer at 2 of thier high profile members.

1. Ice Cube: Ice Cube had just come back from finishing up his Architecture Degree in Pheonix State where he was asked to become part of a new group who would make 'Gangsta' rap. So he adopted a gangsta persona and wrote lyrics based on what he thought was going on. Now, do you think that Mr. Jackson was roaming the halls and campus of Pheonix State with his gat in his belt, dealing crack and pimping fellow students. Me thinks not. Oh, and then he went on to make Are We There Yet, Are We Still Not There Yet and lets not forget his current venture, Are We There Yet the TV Series.

2. Dr. Dre: So what was Dr. Dre doing before N.W.A. He was a DJ and performer with the World Class Wreckin Cru. I think some pictoral evidence might help here:
    picture_dr_dre_world_class_wreckin_cru_1984_02.jpg?w=278&h=300

picture_dr_dre_world_class_wreckin_cru_1986_9606bd088c.jpgdremix.jpg

There are also some fancy pics of Dre wearing bedazzled outfits as well that I cant track down now. But riddle me this, is Dre really a 'Gangsta'? You will also notice that another N.W.A member is in the above picture.

So does Rick Ross's previous employment really matter?

As long as people like the music they are making, does it really matter at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

You cant look much further than 50 if we gonna say whose the realist,on his level in any how.

Ross is the biggest fraud ever in the histor of rap music.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    So does Rick Ross's previous employment really matter?

As long as people like the music they are making, does it really matter at all.
    Yes it definitely should matter but obviouly it doesnt to some.
    This whole thing of excusing ross's past by comparing him to people like dre is pathetic.

I whole heartedly think it matters that ross is accepted but by the same token id wish his supporters were man enough to just admit that they like him,and that they know hes a fraud but couldnt give a shyt because they enjoy his music.
    Instead of defending him by foolishly trying to claim he is in fact what he claims to be.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm not comparing Rick Ross to Dre, what i'm pointing out is that different rappers come from different backgrounds.

From your last post, it looks like you dont have a problem with Ross himself, but the people who support him and like his music.

I'm not trying to wind you up here or anything, i'm just trying to look at this from nuetral point of view. Lets just say, me personally, it doesnt matter where you are from, what you do outside of music, if it's good music i listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Haven't seen many people defending Rick Rosses gangster status. Most people who like him just say they don't give a crap. He's always been a cartoonish exaggeration.

I'm going to give MF Grimm my seal of genuine OG approval.
    In 1994, Grimm survived a murder attempt where he was shot seven times by rival drug dealers,[5] and three times in an earlier murder attempt in 1986. As a result of the 1994 attack, he was deafened, blinded, and paralyzed from the waist down. Doctors predicted that he would suffer nulled senses and be paralyzed for the rest of his life. Grimm recovered full vision, hearing, and speech ability, but is still confined to a wheelchair.

Facing narcotics and conspiracy charges, Grimm was sentenced to life imprisonment in 2000. He paid a one-day bail of $100,000, recording The Downfall of Ibliys: A Ghetto Opera in those twenty-four hours.[7] During his stay in jail, Grimm studied law. After filing many appeals, he was able to reduce his sentence to three years and he was released in 2003.

He's recently released a comic book autobiography, which isn't very gangstuh.

Oh, and any excuse to post this video.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm not comparing Rick Ross to Dre, what i'm pointing out is that different rappers come from different backgrounds.

From your last post, it looks like you dont have a problem with Ross himself, but the people who support him and like his music.

I'm not trying to wind you up here or anything, i'm just trying to look at this from nuetral point of view. Lets just say, me personally, it doesnt matter where you are from, what you do outside of music, if it's good music i listen.
    Ye my bad,ive just re read that post of mine and it looks like im accusing you of defending him,i meant in general.
    As for my personal opinion,i think hes a fraud,i think the life he lived completely contradicts the life he portrays now,on a much larger scale than anyone has ever done,for that reason i wouldnt support him,but thats my personal feelings.
    The fact that i think he makes the same song over and over again is a help,i genuinely dont like his music so its easy not supporting him.

As a person or what ever ive no opinion as i dont know him personally so i couldnt be bothered going to such lenghts as to hate him.

Hes a fake who makes horrible songs,thats as far as my pinion goes.

My opinion on his music,well its just my opinion,nothing more.
    Everything else is undeniable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

doesnt game claim to be a gangbangin blood etc sure doesnt look like it here , studio gangsta 100 per cent, he acts like a straight bit*h on this, what gangsta you know gets a butterfly tattoo on his face only to cover it up:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

doesnt game claim to be a gangbangin blood etc sure doesnt look like it here , studio gangsta 100 per cent, he acts like a straight bit*h on this, what gangsta you know gets a butterfly tattoo on his face only to cover it up:D
    Well didn't Game get shot 5 times a few years after that? Game is a well known blood, don't think anyone has ever really contested that. He's from Compton and he's dealt drugs, etc. That image has just been pushed and Game exaggerates the whole thing but he's said himself that his life now is nothing like that. I wouldn't say he's a studio gangster "100%", but definitely not as gangster as himself and his label would like us to believe.

(@1.10)

What age was Game when he did Change of Heart? 18 or something.. he's never really appeared to be ashamed of it and he been able to laugh at himself about it, even mentioning it in a couple of songs IIRC.

Not sure what the tattoo jab is about, Game is constantly getting tatted, never really got the butterfly thing either? I mean, 50 got all his tattoos removed and he's "the realest" :rolleyes:

Bottom line, none of these rappers are what they claim to be in their songs. I accept that Game was on a dating show and he had a butterfly tattoo (?)

I know Dr. Dre used to wear make up and dress in questionable outfits while performing dance routines.

I know Rick Ross worked as a correctional officer years and years ago.

I'll still listen to them as long as they make music that I like. Not sure why some people can't look past what someone may have done at some point in the past, pretty pathetic attitude to have IMO.

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    You cant look much further than 50 if we gonna say whose the realist

LOL :pac:

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Well didn't Game get shot 5 times a few years after that? Game is a well known blood, don't think anyone has ever really contested that. He's from Compton and he's dealt drugs, etc. That image has just been pushed and Game exaggerates the whole thing but he's said himself that his life now is nothing like that. I wouldn't say he's a studio gangster "100%", but definitely not as gangster as himself and his label would like us to believe.

(@1.10)

What age was Game when he did Change of Heart? 18 or something.. he's never really appeared to be ashamed of it and he been able to laugh at himself about it, even mentioning it in a couple of songs IIRC.

Not sure what the tattoo jab is about, Game is constantly getting tatted, never really got the butterfly thing either? I mean, 50 got all his tattoos removed and he's "the realest" :rolleyes:

Bottom line, none of these rappers are what they claim to be in their songs. I accept that Game was on a dating show and he had a butterfly tattoo (?)

I know Dr. Dre used to wear make up and dress in questionable outfits while performing dance routines.

I know Rick Ross worked as a correctional officer years and years ago.

I'll still listen to them as long as they make music that I like. Not sure why some people can't look past what someone may have done at some point in the past, pretty pathetic attitude to have IMO.

you took the bait and came to defend your beloved hero game in record time:D

honestly a part of me done that too see how you would react, too easy.

50 was a gangsta though thats the thing even some of 50's worst enemies quote that, they all know he wasn't soft even game imithed that, bang em smurf, domination, fu*k sake man 50 and preme knew each other and you must of been fairly gangsta to know him and the snitchin was a rumor started by irv gotti because g unit finished murder inc.

you dont hear people from games hood sayin they dont know him or recalling storys, his own brother knows he aint a gangsta and never was, you actually hear storys of 50 in the hood i.e when he smacked ja rule before he blew up when his friend nicked ja's chain or when he actually did make 100'000 from dealing and had a benz at 18 and game was on change of heart then:D. 50 pulled a gun on p diddy while he use to ghostwrite for him. they called him boo boo because he was out hustlin at 11 or 12 years of age etc so ye when it comes to being real as far as gangsta rappers go he is the real deal along with a few others but game is not in that bracket.

there all storys we hear and same cant be said for game other than he was on change of heart and was a stripper, that sure explains the butterfly tatt aswell as being soft as fu*k on change of heart, a gangsta is not something you become over night.

can you get me something like this to backup games fantasy lifestyle. good watch too.

games own brother saying he's fake.

you took the bait and came to defend your beloved hero game in record time:D
    2 hours later? OK... glad I made your day.
    honestly a part of me done that too see how you would react, too easy.
    Mate I knew you just did it to get a reaction (you weren't discreet about it). We've had this same discussion several times over the last year or so.
    50 was a gangsta though thats the thing even some of 50's worst enemies quote that, they all know he wasn't soft even game imithed that, bang em smurf, domination, fu*k sake man 50 and preme knew each other and you must of been fairly gangsta to know him and
    Yeah 50 was clearly a real gangsta, triple O.G. I believe.
    the snitchin was a rumor started by irv gotti because g unit finished murder inc.
    Jesus mate you would swallow a brick.
    you actually hear storys of 50 in the hood
    That's all they are mate.

Do you really think I care about all of this? I think I made it clear that my only concern with rappers is their music, their personal lives don't interest me at all to be honest. Your posts reads as if it was written by a 12 year old - "50 got shot 10 times and he pulled a gun on P. Diddy and he was a drug dealer and he was a gangsta and Game has a butterfly tattoo and his brother doesn't even like him".

Honestly man it's pretty sad that all of this is so important to you, what's even worse is that you believe every word of it...

How old are you?

2 hours later? OK... glad I made your day.

Mate I knew you just did it to get a reaction (you weren't discreet about it). We've had this same discussion several times over the last year or so.

Jesus mate you would swallow a brick.

Do you really think I care about all of this? I think I made it clear that my only concern with rappers is their music, their personal lives don't interest me at all to be honest. Your posts reads as if it was written by a 12 year old - "50 got shot 10 times and he pulled a gun on P. Diddy and he was a drug dealer and he was a gangsta and Game has a butterfly tattoo and his brother doesn't even like him".

Honestly man it's pretty sad that all of this is so important to you, what's even worse is that you believe every word of it...

How old are you?

this gets better and better, honestly this is coming from someone who worships game, most posts i hear from you is game this red album that.

your the one acting like a 12 year old jumping to the defense of game if anyone has anything at all negative to say about him.

so why did you react? you felt like you had too didn't you, no one else really on these boards would of jumped to his defense like you, its called being a stan and thats what you are.
    Do you really think I care about all of this? I think I made it clear that my only concern with rappers is their music, their personal lives don't interest me at all to be honest.

Well if i sound like a 12 year old you must be my twin brother, your words not mine : Well didn't Game get shot 5 times a few years after that? Game is a well known blood, don't think anyone has ever really contested that. He's from Compton and he's dealt drugs, etc.

well one things for sure game was and is a fake.

when you have other people confirming them as true i.e even someone's nemesis, people from his hood, people who saw these events, well then they must be pretty true. You just cant except the fact that 50 used to live that lifestyle and that comes down to you being a 50 hater and game fanboy honestly its as clear as daylight.

Alright mate, I'm honestly cringing at the though of getting into a discussion about which rapper is more "gangsta" than the other so I'll leave it at that, I've said my piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Lonesome Boatman

Do you need to sell drugs to be a 'real' rapper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

That seems to be the case anyway!

im assuming he meant of those who rap about the life style,which ones actually lived it,and which ones are fake.
    i think its about the life style.

Alright mate, I'm honestly cringing at the though of getting into a discussion about which rapper is more "gangsta" than the other so I'll leave it at that, I've said my piece.

well bud you started it by jumping right in and getting so defensive over game with : Well didn't Game get shot 5 times a few years after that? Game is a well known blood, don't think anyone has ever really contested that. He's from Compton and he's dealt drugs, etc.

i dont jump to the defense of 50,2pac,biggie,nas,jay z,big L or any other rapper i like as soon as i see a bad post about them, just grow up and except not everyone thinks games a gangsta especially if there's videos floating around of him on change of heart women calling him sensitive on it and thats exactly what other rappers call him and then there's videos of him crying talking about suicide ,well known people from his hood who dont know him the list goes on.

just leave it out chap this is a thread for fake gangstas etc so if i think games one or anyone else like a rick ross etc, im entitled to post it without having a monkey on my back questioning anything negative i say about someone he likes on any thread.

if you judge gangsta rappers just by their music well then this thread aint for you, its that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'm amazed this thread has gotten this far. I don't think it should make a difference if they're gangster or not.

My favourite artist is Chamillionaire. I don't care that he's never been arrested, doesn't do drugs or drink alcohol and doesn't curse. He makes good music and that's what I look at.

I'd nearly go as far as respecting someone like Rick Ross for the way he handled the whole CO thing. He's come back bigger and flasher than ever. His new mixtape is pretty good. Some nice songs on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    im assuming he meant of those who rap about the life style,which ones actually lived it,and which ones are fake.
    i think its about the life style.

your spot on man that's exactly what i meant...just to get a conversation going. and as far as the game vs 50 thing...simple they've both done there share of dirt...and both exaggerated it too...neither of them are studio gangsters...but they've exaggerated there past to get where they are...stop getting at each other over it.

I'm amazed this thread has gotten this far. I don't think it should make a difference if they're gangster or not.

My favourite artist is Chamillionaire. I don't care that he's never been arrested, doesn't do drugs or drink alcohol and doesn't curse. He makes good music and that's what I look at.

I'd nearly go as far as respecting someone like Rick Ross for the way he handled the whole CO thing. He's come back bigger and flasher than ever. His new mixtape is pretty good. Some nice songs on it

Cham's an unreal artist :)....he got some of the smartest punchlines and doesn't need to swear to make good music...a true artist

Like i said about Ross...hes a S.G....but no doubt the musics good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I think mufcboy1999 has just seen Get Rich or Die Tryin', tbh.:pac:

I'd say 85% of well-known rappers are full of shít, tbh. I'd have cared about whether thay were 'Gangsta' about 4 years ago when I wa 12, but honestly, who gives a shít?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

A guy called X-Raided killed a few people as a teenager and wrote songs about it, he's been looked up since the 90's over a murder he apparently didn't commit and he's been releasing albums from prison ever since

baz2009 wrote: »
    I think mufcboy1999 has just seen Get Rich or Die Tryin', tbh.:pac:

:D

:D

look at you, hugh cream was 100 per cent right about you, you just have to get the last sneaky say or jab in everything. I taught you said your piece here with this thread? you started it and got proven wrong and your still here.
    I'd say 85% of well-known rappers are full of shít, tbh. I'd have cared about whether thay were 'Gangsta' about 4 years ago when I wa 12, but honestly, who gives a shít?

obviously some people do mate, if your going to be a gangsta rapper i think you have to come with a genuine story,history of being a gangsta or gangsta like and be real, thats the way it used to be thats what drew me to this genre of hip hop.

your 16 mate right going by 4 years ago when i was 12, iv seen and being around when gangsta rap came to the fore front so back up, your growing up with comercilsed rubbish so thats explains you having an opinion like that, you would of had to be actively listening to hip hop in the 90's to know where im coming from and i highly doubt you were bumpin gangsta rap when your mammy was wipin your arse.

we all know its gets far fetched my the media or who ever else but in some cases some rappers are actually real and had a real backround.

i judge rappers by there music 99 per cent of people do so dont talk about like your the only one, but gangsta raps a different lane and for me although they might make good music and i would be the 1st to listen to it, it doesnt escape the fact he/she might be fake and therefor a studio gangsta, all im saying was the likes of game must of turned into a superblood gangbangin gangsta overnight because he sure as ****k wasnt gangsta in them videos.

it doesnt make you imature to judge a gangsta rapper by his lifestyle anyone who thinks otherwise doesnt fully understand what gangsta rap is about and why it was started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

No, you don't. However, if you rap about selling drugs and living that lifestyle, while in reality you are not then no, you're not a real rapper.

look at you, hugh cream was 100 per cent right about you, you just have to get the last sneaky say or jab in everything. I taught you said your piece here with this thread? you started it and got proven wrong and your still here.

Sorry mate, I'm done with this thread but Baz's comment made me laugh out loud, I was literally thinking the exact same. It's funny how you can watch a big budget Hollywood movie and talk about it as if it was a documentary.

Don't know what Hugh was talking about to be honest so you lost me there, he had the last word in the other thread, you can have the last word in this thread, whatever makes you feel better about yourself chief :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

horsebox09 wrote: »
    A guy called X-Raided killed a few people as a teenager and wrote songs about it, he's been looked up since the 90's over a murder he apparently didn't commit and he's been releasing albums from prison ever since

COOL!!!

Are they available on iTunes?

• Advertisement

Sorry mate, I'm done with this thread but Baz's comment made me laugh out loud, I was literally thinking the exact same. It's funny how you can watch a big budget Hollywood movie and talk about it as if it was a documentary.

Don't know what Hugh was talking about to be honest so you lost me there, he had the last word in the other thread, you can have the last word in this thread, whatever makes you feel better about yourself chief :pac:

well young minds think a like, wouldnt be surprised if you were another teeny bopper by the way you mutter on.

by the sounds of it you know your films as bad as your rappers because get rich sure wasnt a big budget hollywood film by any means.

thanks for the last word chief;)

Advertisement