Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small workplace network

Options
  • 17-01-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

All,

I am looking for a bit a help with the following:

I have been asked to design a minimum and ideal spec for a workplace. The problem is that my background is administration, and not networking.

Currently we have 8 PCs, of which 4 are networked, but with no file sharing, etc. They all have internet access, and all 4 also have their own printers.

My thoughts were to set up a network with 12 PCs hooked to a server. Each PC would have access to the internet, via the server. Printers would either be attached to the machines individually, or shared through the server. Same would go for scanning. We would also need to have each area/program within the organisation have access to a remote file storage area, so that everybody would have access to the required files. However, the files would have to be access restricted (e.g. Payroll, etc)

My questions are as follows:

1) What type of server would be suited to this use? Would a PC with extra HDDs do, or would a dedicated server be better?

2) What would the cost of this configuration cost? E.g. +10k, +20k?

3) Would we be better off getting a contractor to do it, or would it be possible to setup inhouse? (Limited network knowledge in house but plenty of PC knowledge)

4) If we were to go down the external contractor route, what should we be looking for in a contractor? (E.g. Setup only, repair and maintenance, IT management, etc?)

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Clauric wrote: »
    1) What type of server would be suited to this use? Would a PC with extra HDDs do, or would a dedicated server be better?
    A "server" in this sense is really just a PC with better hardware, different software and perhaps in a different form factor. It's really down to what you require it to do and how much you have to spend. Don't forget about backup options and fault tolerance (eg RAID).
    2) What would the cost of this configuration cost? E.g. +10k, +20k?
    Do you need to buy 12 PCs or just 4? Do you have wiring in place leading to a single location or is there just a switch on the floor somewhere? Shared printers shouldn't be attached to a worker's PC. You can buy print servers relatively cheap these days.
    3) Would we be better off getting a contractor to do it, or would it be possible to setup inhouse? (Limited network knowledge in house but plenty of PC knowledge)
    Almost certainly if you get a good professional to do it things will be easier. Really it depends on how quick a study you are and what your time is worth to you along with how sensitive your business would be to teething problems.

Advertisement