Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Player in the EPL

• 17-01-2011 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Following on from the best RB thread, just wondering who people think is the best player in the EPL?

It is tough and depends on what way you look at it. For me Vidic is the best defender, Fabregas is the best midfielder and Tevez is the best forward. If Rooney was back to his form before March 2010 he would be a close enough call but he simply is nowhere near it and Torres hasnt been at his best in a couple of years. Drogba has been off form too as has Gerrard.

Regarding the best, it is hard to look beyond Tevez who has been phenomenal the past 2 seasons.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say Eboue, man he's got silky smooth skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Best player is Rooney. But he's playing rubbish atm. For me it's Nasri or Nani on form. Best players this year in the EPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

When everyone is in top form, I'd go for Drogba followed very closely by Essien.

On current form, I'd go Vidic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Probably Tevez or Cesc. Drogba ain't bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

This season, I'd go for Nani.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Current form I'd say Vidic is the top defender,Nasri the top midfielder and Tevez as the best forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Drogba when on top of his game, mentions also to Torres, Rooney, Reina, Cesc etc etc.

On current form Vidic, Tevez, Nasri, Terry, Berbatov, Kompany, Van Der Vaart, Nani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

When he's on form, Drogba is unstoppable. This season, I'd probably go with Vidic but no-one has really stood out and it's been a poor season for stand out performers.

Tevez can be great one week and poor the next. The same goes for Nani, Nasri, Walcott and others that have been mentioned.

Van der Vaart has been a revelation for Spurs (surely signing of the season) and it'll be interesting to see him next year when he's a bit leaner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Warper wrote: »

It is tough and depends on what way you look at it. For me Vidic is the best defender, Fabregas is the best midfielder and Tevez is the best forward. If Rooney was back to his form before March 2010 he would be a close enough call but he simply is nowhere near it and Torres hasnt been at his best in a couple of years. Drogba has been off form too as has Gerrard.

ah torres scored 18 league goals in 22 league appearances last season, he has been off form since his knee surgery in april 2010, to say a couple of years is really losing the plot

drogba has been off form couple of weeks at best, gerrard last 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Personally I'd go with Van der Vaart. The lad's pure class. He'd walk into any team in the EPL. Very rarely has off days. Very close second would be Fabregas and Vidic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

rossie1977 wrote: »
    ah torres scored 18 league goals in 22 league appearances last season

Therein lies the problem.

Brilliant player, but 22 out of a possible 38 appearances isn't nearly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Vidic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

I don't think there is a clear cut number one in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

If we're ignoring current from and injury problems theres a lot of contenders and there's an argument to be made for any one of Drogba, Essien, Lamps, Rooney, Cesc, Torres or RvP.

I think its Cesc or Lamps. Both are hugely important players for their team, they're both consistent and neither are too injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm being well biased here but I've a few of our players who have done exceptionally well this season. Jose Enrique, Barton, Carroll, Tiote.

Non biased, I think Parker has done a good job this season. He hasn't got too many quality players of note around him but he has done a decent shift in any game I've seen him in.

Nasri is one of the most improved this season. The lad has come on leaps and bounds. Passing has become a lot better and on more than one occasion, his finishing has caused me to stand up and say, "how the fcuk... How can he score from there?"

Silva has also been a brilliant signing for City and has put in a good few performances for them this season. His passing is top drawer. A real playmaker and a handful to play against.

It's really difficult to pick just one. Each team has their key players. I really couldn't pick just one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I only watch the EPL to see this man.
    300coet.jpg

25753_398279457248_683337248_3836629_7381978_n.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndOAg-nfJPM

I assume you mean currently OP ?

Tevez probably stands out for me this season.

Torres, Rooney and Drogba when on form are phenomenal but this season they have seven, two and eight goals respectively. They all have the capability to go on a serious run this season yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭henke

I think Rooney in top form and firing is the best player in the PL but not on this seasons showing.

Van Der Vaart, Nasri have impressed this season as has Tevez. Difficult to say who the best is this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Therein lies the problem.

Brilliant player, but 22 out of a possible 38 appearances isn't nearly enough.

thats true but michael essien only had 14 league appearances last year, 11 the year before that and 27 the year before that, prior to that he had 6 full seasons where he didn't have a major injury, torres is similiar never got injured at Atlético at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

on top top form its fernando torres hands down. on form hes the best striker in the world. compared to rooney hes a better finisher but id have rooney as a better passer then torres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

rossie1977 wrote: »
    thats true but michael essien only had 14 league appearances last year, 11 the year before that and 27 the year before that, prior to that he had 6 full seasons where he didn't have a major injury, torres is similiar never got injured at Atlético at all

Only thing there is he didn't score as often at Atleti.

ricero wrote: »
    on top top form its fernando torres hands down. on form hes the best striker in the world. compared to rooney hes a better finisher but id have rooney as a better passer then torres.

I don't think Torres is the best Spanish striker.

On bias it's Rooney, otherwise Drogba is probably the best striker on top form in the EPL. Hard to believe he is a couple of weeks away from 34.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Le King wrote: »
    I don't think Torres is the best Spanish striker.

On bias it's Rooney, otherwise Drogba is probably the best striker on top form in the EPL. Hard to believe he is a couple of weeks away from 34.

A year and a couple of weeks. ;)

Johner wrote: »
    A year and a couple of weeks. ;)

:D oops meant to say 33.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Vidic.

i don't care what anyone says.

a fúcking animal, and the bedrock of United's continued title challenges.

i know Rio's presence makes him better, but seriously, i can't think of a single player in the EPL i'd prefer in my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Tevez is head and shoulders above anyone this season...and I would pick him ahead of Rooney based on last season which was arguably Rooneys best of his career until his injury.

Drogba is another contender as this is the first bad patch I remember him going through.

Torres is perhaps too injury prone to be considered.

As for Nani...heh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Vidic is another good call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

• 1. Vidic
    • 2. Tevez
    • 3. Cesc

Honourable mentions:
    • Essien: playing 3 players in center mid is a waste when this man is one of them imho. Animal.
    • Drogba: Unstoppable, providing what we are seeing is only a dip in form.
    • Nani: As A United fan, its impossible to emphasise how immense he has been for United for the last calendar year. Not there yet, but could definitely be regarded like that in the future. 6 goals, 11 assists so far this season.
    • Van Der Vaart: if he keeps up his current form for and continues until this time next season it would be hard to overlook him

Rooney & Torres come into this category whenever their extended run of poor form comes to an end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Newbie to the EPL: Van Der Varrrrrt has been a storm in the EPL.
    My team: Cech has been the only really stand out performer for the Blues over the course of the entire season so far for me.
    Other team: Nani deserves an honourable mention, I hate the cut of him, but no denying he is playing well.
    Wildcard menton: And Carroll while I'm at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Seamus Coleman :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Besides the obvious I think Charlie Adam worthy of a mention. Have watched Blackpools last three (not the best sample i know) and been genuinely impressed. His passing at all ranges has been top class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Tevez without a doubt. He's basically Rooney but better & slimmer.
    He leads by example & he's the main reason City are in with a chance of winning the EPL this year.

Vidic would be my second choice. Solid as a rock all season long is the main reason United have not lost a game yet.

I also really like Yaya Toure. He's like Viera & Zidane rolled into one. Well maybe not that good but he's still bloody quality. He's a powerhouse defensive midfield type of player but can also play quality passes & can dribble very well with the ball & his finishing aint bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Rafael followed closely by Fabio... No really

Fabregas
    Van der vaart (he's been great so far)
    Nani
    Rooney
    Drogba
    Torres
    All on form could be either one of them for me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Well since Bale is the best player in the world, then..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Luka Modric, pure class

• Advertisement

Luka Modric, pure class

Forgot about him , he's really good up there with all the best anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Luka Modric, pure class

Was just about to post this probably not THE best but pure class amazing player surprisingly good defensively better than most CM's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Form-wise, Samir Nasri. I always thought Arsenal would struggle a lot if Fabregas left for Barca. The emergence of Nasri this season leads me to believe they could cope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Torres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

John O Shea is head and shoulders above everybody else in the league

followed by

Rafael
    Wes Brown
    Fletcher
    Fabio
    Gary Neville

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

In terms of ability, contribution to the team and on field attitude it's Tevez. City would be fecked without him.

Below him it'd be Vidic and Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Well as for best it's obviously Pires.

But IMHO Drogba will never be the player he was last year and before again, I still think he will find some form and be a top player just not that same level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Are we talking about form or class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Something really wants to make me type Yaya Toure as the answer to this question. I think he's exceptional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Paully D wrote: »
    Something really wants to make me type Yaya Toure as the answer to this question. I think he's exceptional.

It is fitting that a Barca reject would be the best player in the EPL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Luka Modric - little wizard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

BERBA wrote: »
    Luka Modric - little wizard

Nasri for me - equally little slightly better wizard (imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Warper wrote: »
    It is fitting that a Barca reject would be the best player in the EPL

He's certainly shown great versatility since being at Man City. Did Barca ever let him off the leash like City have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Current form its -

1. Tevez
    2. Vidic
    3. Nasri

I feel dirty.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Current form its -

1. Tevez
    2. Vidic
    3. Nasri