Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Direction to Take?

Options
  • 17-01-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone out there could offer some advice on how I should proceed with my education. I graduated this year with a level 7 degree in computing. Since then I have got myself some experience working as a network administrator, but I may not have that job for too much longer. Budget cuts in the place etc.

A lot of job adverts that I've seen have mostly been looking for 2:1 honours degrees etc. While the smart thing to do would probably go and get my level 8 honours, however that is not financially viable for me right now. So I have been looking at getting myself some IT certifications. However I am nt sure which certs to go for...which would make me most attractive to an employer etc.

I really like programming and was considering going down the SCJP route. Then since I have been working in an area of networking I was considering the cisco qualification route. Then I also began looking at doing some microsoft certs, however they seem to be aimed at those already established and working within the industry.

I am feeling very confused and trying to find a focus so as I can proceed.

Could anyone offer anymore information. Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

This probably isn't helpful but you need to decide what would prefer doing.
    Networks
    Servers\Systems
    Programming..

You kinda need to decide that first before you look at exams.

As for "2:1 honours degrees" I never rate that stuff much, having a degree is fine. If I was hiring\reading CV's its a lot more on personality, experience, initiative and drive.

Since you seem to like programming you could networks could suit you, as in, they are command line based... or you could just stick with pure programming. Its all personal really...

Have you considered doing a Masters? It would give you time decide what you are best at\love doing.

Advertisement