Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Píssed off with AIB

Options
  • 17-01-2011 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

So I have an account with AIB.

I missed a loan repayment (payable by Direct Debit from my current account). This has happened before but I simply lodge to cover the debit that was taken out and that sorts it, with no problems.

However, the other day I missed a payment again but did my usual lodging to the account to bring it back into line. But this time I was charged a direct debit return fee of 10 Euro.

I rang the bank and queried why I was charged this, seeing as I had never been charged it before. They said that my account was no longer a student account and this is why I was now being charged this fee.

They told me that a letter outlining this was sent to me, but I did not get such as letter (of course, I could just be saying that I didn't get it but you'll have to give me the benefit of the doubt here - I honestly did not get such a letter; and one of my friends who had the same type of account did not get the letter after graduation either).

The (actually very helpful and pleasant) girl on the phone said she will speak to the management and call me back.

Received a call back - she advised that management will not be refunding because I "had been told about the change in account from student to graduate". Of course, I protested this but to no avail.

I explained to the girl that I had exactly two weeks worth of repayments in my current account for the loan, but because of this fee that I was charged I have now only enough for one week.

So I told here that this week's will of course be paid, but next week's won't be because I now do not have the money due to being charged this fee. She asked could someone at home lodge the money for me (I am away from Ireland at the moment studying) - I told her no, as they shouldn't have to.

I asked her to inform management that because I do not now have enough in the account I will not be repaying the loan (I, of course, should not have said this, because I did take out the loan and should repay it, but I was and still am a bit píssed off with them because of this).

So what do you think I should do? Should I just take it as a life lesson? Or should I not pay seeing as I was not informed about the account changes?

(It makes no difference, but for your information the loan is less than 300 Euro).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

Did anyone go as a Guarantor for your loan app? That guarantee may
    be called in. It's an insignificant amount but every single penny is being chased by the banks currently.

Would it embarass you ?

Do you intend to return to Ireland? and maybe get another loan.

These questions will probably help you decide.

Its a nothing amount in the grand scheme of things - you decide :)

But the stuff about charges and letters and not knowing - don't really
    buy that. Someone who knows how much is in their account and is planning accordingly doesn't loose letters. You are too organised for that. Life lesson me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

steo87 wrote: »

I missed a loan repayment ...

This discussion ends on that point.
    You have the loan with them, you're responsible, so make sure you have enough money in the account.
    Not much more to it I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

Mort5000 wrote: »
    This discussion ends on that point.
    You have the loan with them, you're responsible, so make sure you have enough money in the account.
    Not much more to it I'm afraid.

This type of thing infuriates me about boards....If you had read all of the post instead of jumping to conclusions then you would realise the problem.

To summarise again for you and the two similar people who thanked your post:

I should not have been charged the fee because my account should STILL be a student account and not a graduate account. - If it was still a student account I would not have been charged the fee. Do you see what I mean now? Therefore, I am not liable for the fee because they did not inform me about the change in account status.

(with student accounts the fee does not apply; they do now, but when I opened the account in 2005 they did not apply)

I surmise from your OP that you are no longer a student. Is this correct or not?

If you are a student in an ROI college I am sure that you have a case with
    regards to the banks error and should contact them to rectify that error and subsequently refund you the erroneous fee.

If, as I suspect you are no longer a student then you are wasting internet electrons as letters are sent to all students warning them of the upcoming change to their statment address. (I am assuming that you are getting statements)

You are attempting to use 'the dog ate my homework' excuse.'

noworries wrote: »
    I surmise from your OP that you are no longer a student. Is this correct or not?

If you are a student in an ROI college I am sure that you have a case with
    regards to the banks error and should contact them to rectify that error and subsequently refund you the erroneous fee.

If, as I suspect you are no longer a student then you are wasting internet electrons as letters are sent to all students warning them of the upcoming change to their statment address. (I am assuming that you are getting statements)

You are attempting to use 'the dog ate my homework' excuse.'

I am still a student - I went from Undergrad degree straight to a Masters, so there has been no period where I have not been a student.

The course is in the UK - it doesn't, and should not, make a difference to my status as a student whether I'm studying in the ROI or not. (you could counter this and say that their T's and C's are governed by the laws of the ROI and do not apply when residing in the UK, but to this I say what about internet banking where you can make a transfer etc anywhere in the world).

And regarding the part about the letters - letters are sent to my original, Ireland address - when any letters arrive there, my mother rings and tells me what it is. (regardless, the letter was supposedly sent when I was still in Ireland so that makes no difference).

I get what you mean about the 'dog ate the homework' but you'll just have to take my word on that. I suppose I could take the word of the bank also? But what am I to do about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Unfortunately theres not much you can do apart from argue with them and hope they give in, if you decide not to pay back the loan then this could affect other loans that you might take out in the future in ireland, since your still in college you could try just telling them that you're still a student and that you shouldn't have had to pay the charge, but if that fails then theres nothing you can do really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

OP, I feel for you. I've had similar problems before but they were sorted out and I'm still on good terms with AIB.

Was it a student account or student plus account?

Student account is for second level, student plus is for 3rd level and post-graduate.

You should get back onto AIB and ask for the charge to be refunded and your account to be changed back to a student plus account.

From their terms & conditions for student plus accounts:
    2. Eligibility

2.1 You are eligible to apply for an AIB Student Plus Account if you are enrolling or currently engaged in any full-time third level educational course, which includes full-time post-graduate studies with a minimum duration of one academic year. The Bank may at its discretion extend the benefits of the AIB Student Plus Account to other customers.

Whatever you do, do not stop the loan from being paid. Swap 2 pints of beer for 2 pints of water and you should have your extra €10 to make sure the loan payment goes through

I am still a student - I went from Undergrad degree straight to a Masters, so there has been no period where I have not been a student.

The course is in the UK - it doesn't, and should not, make a difference to my status as a student whether I'm studying in the ROI or not. (you could counter this and say that their T's and C's are governed by the laws of the ROI and do not apply when residing in the UK, but to this I say what about internet banking where you can make a transfer etc anywhere in the world).

And regarding the part about the letters - letters are sent to my original, Ireland address - when any letters arrive there, my mother rings and tells me what it is. (regardless, the letter was supposedly sent when I was still in Ireland so that makes no difference).

I get what you mean about the 'dog ate the homework' but you'll just have to take my word on that. I suppose I could take the word of the bank also? But what am I to do about that?

From the terms and conditions, I think that one of the main ones in relation to the Student Plus A/C in relation to yourself is;

4.1 The AIB Student Plus Account and the Benefits are valid for a maximum period of four years from the date you convert to, or open your AIB Student Plus Account or when you graduate whichever is sooner.
    At the end of the period your AIB Student Plus Account will automatically convert to a personal Current Account, and the Bank’s ‘Terms and Conditions for Current Accounts and Demand Deposit Accounts’ will then apply. We will advise you at least 30 days prior to your AIB Student Plus Account converting to a personal Current Account. If you are pursuing a course that is of a duration longer than four years, please advise us and, subject to our agreement, we will extend your AIB Student PlusAccount and Benefits for an agreed period.

You can argue 'til the cows come home with them, but your letter was posted and they have proof of the date it was sent - (flag on your account)- if it comes to a court battle ;)

It is annoying and infuriating but a judge wouldn't back you -
    the advice in my first response still stands - save yourself the grief really.

I had to pay 87pence interest on my credit card in September 1992. Ne'er a penny since. I learnt my lesson :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Didn't notice that bit in the t&c's. Good point noworries. OP, you may have to go through some hoops to get it back with this.

noworries wrote: »
    From the terms and conditions, I think that one of the main ones in relation to the Student Plus A/C in relation to yourself is;

4.1 The AIB Student Plus Account and the Benefits are valid for a maximum period of four years from the date you convert to, or open your AIB Student Plus Account or when you graduate whichever is sooner.
    At the end of the period your AIB Student Plus Account will automatically convert to a personal Current Account, and the Bank’s ‘Terms and Conditions for Current Accounts and Demand Deposit Accounts’ will then apply. We will advise you at least 30 days prior to your AIB Student Plus Account converting to a personal Current Account. If you are pursuing a course that is of a duration longer than four years, please advise us and, subject to our agreement, we will extend your AIB Student PlusAccount and Benefits for an agreed period.

You can argue 'til the cows come home with them, but your letter was posted and they have proof of the date it was sent - (flag on your account)- if it comes to a court battle ;)

It is annoying and infuriating but a judge wouldn't back you -
    the advice in my first response still stands - save yourself the grief really.

I had to pay 87pence interest on my credit card in September 1992. Ne'er a penny since. I learnt my lesson :D

Thanks a lot for that link, cleared it up nicely. Thanks to everyone else who posted helpful comments.

But with this experience, coupled with everything else about this bank (see the post in After Hours about the fraud they committed), I'm definitely going to close my account (...after the loan is paid off!)

...now, how do I put the tenner into my account without my tail between my leg?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Thanks to everyone else who posted helpful comments.
    ...now, how do I put the tenner into my account without my tail between my leg?:pac:

A pleasure.
    Now, forget about the tail.
    Just ask your mom to do a transfer and spot her later.
    Cheerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

It's difficult for the bank to know you're still a student unless you tell them and provide proof to that effect. They can't read minds just yet... It's also up to you to keep your address up to date.
    Mind you it's fairly petty of AIB not to refund the charge.... "Cutting their nose off despite their face" springs to mind..... I'm surprised that the decision to refund such a small amount lies with management TBH...

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Firstly it's up to you to ensure you have enough funds to meet the direct debit on time.

Secondly you are still a full time student so your account should still remain a student plus or a graduate account, should only be a normal current account once your finished studying and working etc.

One trick around this, might be hard as you are away would be to close your existing current account and open a 'new' student plus account so you avail of the student offer for the duration of the student plus account.

A letter to your Branch Manager in relation to the charges would be a good idea, who says it was management who got back to you saying they were not refunding the charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I can't see that the bank did anything wrong. If your smart enough to do a masters then you are smart enough to make sure you have enough money in your account to cover your debts.

You get infuriated by people on boards answering your posts when you don't like what they say. The thing that infuriates me about boards is people moaning and complaining when they are completely in the wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

I missed a loan repayment (payable by Direct Debit from my current account). This has happened before but I simply lodge to cover the debit that was taken out and that sorts it, with no problems.

However, the other day I missed a payment again but did my usual lodging to the account to bring it back into line. But this time I was charged a direct debit return fee of 10 Euro.

I rang the bank and queried why I was charged this, seeing as I had never been charged it before. They said that my account was no longer a student account and this is why I was now being charged this fee.

They told me that a letter outlining this was sent to me, but I did not get such as letter (of course, I could just be saying that I didn't get it but you'll have to give me the benefit of the doubt here - I honestly did not get such a letter; and one of my friends who had the same type of account did not get the letter after graduation either).

The (actually very helpful and pleasant) girl on the phone said she will speak to the management and call me back.

Received a call back - she advised that management will not be refunding because I "had been told about the change in account from student to graduate". Of course, I protested this but to no avail.

I explained to the girl that I had exactly two weeks worth of repayments in my current account for the loan, but because of this fee that I was charged I have now only enough for one week.

So I told here that this week's will of course be paid, but next week's won't be because I now do not have the money due to being charged this fee. She asked could someone at home lodge the money for me (I am away from Ireland at the moment studying) - I told her no, as they shouldn't have to.

I asked her to inform management that because I do not now have enough in the account I will not be repaying the loan (I, of course, should not have said this, because I did take out the loan and should repay it, but I was and still am a bit píssed off with them because of this).

So what do you think I should do? Should I just take it as a life lesson? Or should I not pay seeing as I was not informed about the account changes?

(It makes no difference, but for your information the loan is less than 300 Euro).
    dam and here was i thinking it was the few billion they owe us...
    a fcking tenner woopteeeduuuuuuuuu

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

digme wrote: »
    dam and here was i thinking it was the few billion they owe us...
    a fcking tenner woopteeeduuuuuuuuu

LOL.

Sometimes the small things make the difference and people feel that there should be some sort of flexibility and maybe the option taken to look at the bigger picture rather than just the minutae.

Then again maybe the bank is becoming more prudent and watching the pennies so that they can pay the taxpayer back before most of us retire.

Advertisement