Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter bins in Westside area

Options
  • 17-01-2011 5:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Right this is a bit out of character for me as I generally don't give a **** about the environment and see most of it as a big con to tax the crap out of everything.

That said, I've always made a point of putting my litter in a bin, I just see it as a common courtesy to everyone who lives there. But I'm not going to stuff my pockets full of wrappers just because I haven't passed a single bin in a 30min walk. The lack of bins in Galway is shocking, basically anywhere outside of the immediate city (Eyre Sq/Shop St) they disappear.

I realise that being a city full of students, most of whom call elsewhere 'home', there's less people who are going to give a crap. Also this rubbish idea (pardon the pun) of charging for refuse by weight which encourages dumping doesn't help, but there is no excuse for not putting out a few more bins. The Thomas Hynes road is really pretty long and I can't think of a single bin on it, or any on the BO'D road.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I presume you called the Council and informed them of your opinion? What did they say, was there an excuse provided for the dearth of bins?
    Have you got on to your local elected representative about it? Which one and what was their response?
    Have you considered providing a bin outside your own house to allow passers-by to throw stuff in it?
    Also you can put your litter in the bin before your 30 minute walk.

The roads are very clean and mostly littter-free due to council street pickers I see at 6am in all weathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

there is a major lack of bins in Galwa,y has been like this since time began. I know it, you know it, everyone knows it. Noting is done about it.

Its ridiculse, I do remember years ago one of the mayors tried t oset up a campaign to get more bins around the place, and from what i can tell she did around the city center(city center uuse to be a lot wrose then it is now)

snubbleste:

the street cleaners do a fantastic job, even on a saturday and sunday morning after friday saturday night! But everyone knows, even the local elected knows this!
    Have you considered providing a bin outside your own house to allow passers-by to throw stuff in it?

And you pay for the fee of dgetting rid of it? I dont know about other people, but I have to pay just under 5€ for every bag i want to get rid of, good luck me paying for other people!

Got to be trolling here?

It's not just the city centre, I see street pickers walking along Seamus Quirke on alternate mornings. If they ever went on strike, the place would be filthy!

Bins are absent mainly because they are not needed in the areas highlighted and people used them to dump household rubbish in them.
    How can someone accumulate litter in a 30 minute walk? They must be eating or drinking the whole time.
    If someone was bothered enough about litter bins, then I'm sure they would'nt mind providing a service to passers-by, think of it as an extra local tax.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

snubbleste wrote: »
    I presume you called the Council and informed them of your opinion?
    88.jpg
    Have you got on to your local elected representative about it? Which one and what was their response?
    202.gif
    No but that's a great point. I might leave a packet of plasters and some wet cotton wool out as well, to relieve the UCG staff of some of their work.
    Can't believe I hadn't thought of this before. Mods could you please close this thread as this entire issue has now been resolved.

If the issue has been resolved in the past hour, outline the excuse(s) given to you by the Council/Councillors upon your enquiry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ask ed

I know it's been said already but you should contact the Environment section of Galway City Council and suggest they place extra bins in the Westside area. In the last few years, the council have carried out GIS, footfall studies etc. in an attempt to place bins where they are needed most - but surveys/studies can't tell you everything and it is only from people that live and work in the area highlighting the problem that it will be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There's a lot of schoolkids that walk up from Shantalla, and also along the Seamus Quirke/Thomas Hynes/Bishop O'Donnell stretch of road, and then on up to the roundabout and beyond. Mc Donalds in the Westside (and others) have taken to zip tyeing advert billboards to streetlights (ugly as F***, and how legal is this?). Perhaps they would consider sponsoring an 'ad bin' instead, to catch all the little burger droppings that the little ones make as they trundle home...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Right this is a bit out of character for me as I generally don't give a **** about the environment and see most of it as a big con to tax the crap out of everything.

This kind of idiotic statement is typical of the lazy arsed "let someone else sort it out" attitude of some people towards doing even the most basic of environmentally friendly actions.

You don't give a **** about the environment, because giving a **** about it is going to con you out of money via tax?

How exactly does that work?

Can you give me a list of examples of how "most" environmentally friendly actions are taxed.
    Since there are thousands of environmentally friendly things people can do on a regular basic in their day to day live, and your view is that most of these actions are taxed, your list will presumably be long cover a great portion of the general public's daily life.

That said, I've always made a point of putting my litter in a bin, I just see it as a common courtesy to everyone who lives there. But I'm not going to stuff my pockets full of wrappers just because I haven't passed a single bin in a 30min walk.

While I fully agree with you regarding there being to few bin around the place.
    The absence of a bin in a public area should not be a cue for people to litter that place.
    Putting your own litter in a public bin, is not a common courtesy to the residents of an area, but a exercise in basic tidiness.

What about rural areas where residences are sparse, is it acceptable to litter here because there is less chance of it being an eyesore to people?.
    It's not an action to be applauded, it should go without saying that someone wouldn't litter the place.

I'am unsure how anybody, while walking, can accumulate a quantity of waste so great that it requires disposal after 30 minutes.

ask ed wrote: »
    I know it's been said already but you should contact the Environment section of Galway City Council and suggest they place extra bins in the Westside area. In the last few years, the council have carried out GIS, footfall studies etc. in an attempt to place bins where they are needed most - but surveys/studies can't tell you everything and it is only from people that live and work in the area highlighting the problem that it will be dealt with.

And now is probably a good time, as aren't new bus stops coming in when the 'new road' is finished? A bus stop is a litter magnet for sure, and the one opposite Glen Dara for example is due to be moved and widened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭UPCurley

Speaking of new roads, does anyone know what is going down on the huge excavation there accross from Glen Dara?

• Advertisement

UPCurley wrote: »
    Speaking of new roads, does anyone know what is going down on the huge excavation there accross from Glen Dara?

That's part of the road expansion and the drainage reservoir at the Westside pitch. There's a few threads on here about it

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

@ the keen edge - spot on and well said

OP, if you feel obliged to produce litter while you are walking about, why should you expect anyone else to provide for its disposal? Take it home with you! If you went for a walk in the country, what would you do with it?

It is fair enough that the city council should provide bins where they are needed, but littering is anti-social and demonstrates a lack of respect for other people and the environment that we all share. Charging by weight for refuse collection should be an encouragement to recycle and reduce your negative impact, not to dump, which is totally unacceptable.

padraig71 wrote: »
    OP, if you feel obliged to produce litter while you are walking about, why should you expect anyone else to provide for its disposal? Take it home with you! If you went for a walk in the country, what would you do with it?

Because Westside Galway is classed as the country is it? What a ridiculous comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Because Westside Galway is classed as the country is it? What a ridiculous comparison.

It's not a ridiculous comparison.

How does the classification of an area, be it urban or rural, permit littering.
    Which is what you are trying to do:
    But I'm not going to stuff my pockets full of wrappers just because I haven't passed a single bin in a 30min walk.

Yes there is an insufficient amount of bins around the town.

However it is galling hearing people complaining, and trying to justify littering because there isn't a bin in their immediate vicinity when they need to dispose of a sweet wrapper or chip bag that very instant.

If there isn't a bin right beside you, the very instant you require it, just hold on the litter until such time as you come across one.
    Its really that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

The lack of bins outside town is ridiculous. I live in Shantalla and often walk out to my friends in Knocknacarra and there's not a single bin for the whole walk out there. I'd usually just throw my rubbish in my bag if I'm eating something along the walk, but if you have something messy like an ice cream that's melted onto the wrapper or a cup of coffee that's gone cold, it's a pain to have to walk with it in your hand the whole way home.

moonflower wrote: »
    The lack of bins outside town is ridiculous. I live in Shantalla and often walk out to my friends in Knocknacarra and there's not a single bin for the whole walk out there. I'd usually just throw my rubbish in my bag if I'm eating something along the walk, but if you have something messy like an ice cream that's melted onto the wrapper or a cup of coffee that's gone cold, it's a pain to have to walk with it in your hand the whole way home.

Careful, you're running the risk of the environmentalists disregarding the whole point of your post and going off on one about that.

So Fionn MacCool, did you get a response back from the Council or your local Councillors yet?

Advertisement