Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed badly!

Options
  • 17-01-2011 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hi,
    Im the middle of a new build house and I have no came to a problem area and a decision has to be made but im stuck!
    Originally I had a full corner glass feature going around the house and this was fine with timber and joicing the first floor but I have decided to go pre cast and this is causing a problem due to weight.

My contractor has giving me two options -
    (Pics are attached of both options)
    1. Stay with corner window and go with timber first floor but he is worried about cracks appearing with all the stell in the corner of the house.
    2. Put two blocks either side of the corner to break up all the glass and make a feature out of the area by framing the glass and putting a pre cast floor upstairs.

He wants to go with option two as he reckons it is safer, there wont be too much glass,it looks better and there is not enough of a good view to reason with the full corner window. I know myself he will say this because it makes it easier for him to build!

The engineer has made plans for both steel and block and says both work perfectly and his opinion is option two as it frames the area.
    Everyone has a different opinion!

My opinion is im split! I love both ways and just cant decide. I would like advice from someone who may have a similar build done and then it might help sway me. Does anyone know the pros and cons of a corner window from living with one i.e safety, noise, heating, sun light etc? Have I too much glass? Which looks better?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why did you builder give you options?

Surely that's the engineers job.
    A corner window with a concrete first floor isn't impossible, but it would be expensive and prob bulky (although, no more so than the option 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icbarros

Hi,
    My comments are based purely on aesthetics, and that includes harmony, balance, scale, rhythm, transparency, etc.
    I do think the corner window does not complement the overall design of your house.
    In a house where all the volumes have openings centred with the walls and with a good bit of mass (wall) surrounding them, I don't see any reason for this corner window to be there. In my opinion, it breaks the proportion and harmony of the house without bringing any benefits.
    I much prefer the upper option shown on your drawings. It's balanced and in perfect harmony with the design. Furthermore, it's easier to build, the windows are likely to be cheaper and the curtains/blinds will also be easier to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Which option has planning permission?

IMO, a dormer with partial two storey doesn't warrent a full concrete first floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

To be honest I dont see why a steel lintel cannot be designed for the new loading (I dont, however, see the point in a pre-cast conc. floor in a dormer)

Any supporting beams will probaly have to start from the foundations so there may be issues there. It is a fairly major change to the front of the house though so I'd check with whoever is signing off compliance with planning permission before making any calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

The corner can be propped with a <snip> steel tube ran onto a baseplate and supporting an rsj which in turn will support the conc slab. a heavy gauge <snip> tube should have no difficulty taking the weight for the corner. you can then incorporate your tube into the window frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Please read the forum charter. Do not specify structural elements.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

my own opnion would be in line with icbarros. I do not think the corner window adds anything to the aesthetics of the elevations. It may be a "nice feature" internally but we have no idea of view etc. Either way, the views will be still be framed with the second option.

Whether you go with timber or first floors is again your own choice. Personlly if budget allows id go concrete for the sound and fire proofing.

but as mellr has said, before you choose either option, you need to consult with a structural engineer as to what is required. If you are going with steel work, the vertical steel member should be fitted to a sole plate on the foundations so it may be too late already to choose this option.

Advertisement