Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another MS thread

Options
  • 17-01-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi I feel like theres loads of MS threads here because I have been searching boards and google for the last 3 weeks.
    Anyway had an MRI this morning and tests came back looking like MS (that with my symptoms) So the next step is the very dreaded lumbar puncture. My Dr said the waiting list to see a neurologist here in cork is very long and advised me to go private. He said I could get an appointment within 2 weeks. Problem is I have no health insurance. The MRI was €245, so quite reasonable, I was just wondering does anyone know the cost of said lumbar puncture, visit to neurologist?
    Thanks on advance, Im freaking out here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

Are you sure you need a lumbar puncture?

I was diagnosed with just the MRI scan, never had a LP. Im in St. Vincents and the list there is better. I was advised not to go private because the waiting was longer!!

Get the MRI results first and double check to see if the LP is needed. Id advise you to go public because even with the health insurance the cost over the years will be high

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭trishawisha

Hi thank you for your quick reply.
    The MRI results were faxed to my DR straight away. The next step according to my Dr is the neurologist and the lumbar puncture.
    From my very excessive googling over the last few weeks, I have seen many people have been diagnosed with just the MRI. My Dr has said to get an difinative diagnosis YOU need the LP. He has referred me onto a neurologist and also onto the waiting list for public care. I want to get the diagnosis so my symptoms can be treated asap. I work, but am not on a high salary so was wondering if anyone had any clue about the cost of neurologist appointment and LP?
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

Dont know about the LP cost but the consultant will be able to say if they want one or not. They are all different.

Like I said I am public and would highly recommend it. Ive seen a different consultant in the past, nothing to do with MS and it cost €200 for the first visit and then €170 for the next ones. As you have to have a number of visits before you can claim on insurance I got nothing back!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There is no one single conclusive test for MS, I never had a lumbar puncture either. What were your inital symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭trishawisha

Thank you for replies
    Since the week before christmas to now, my whole right side is numb. From head to toe, Iv been getting really dizzy, My right leg feels heavy and is sometimes painful to bend. My right arm also feels very heavy and as if there is no strength in it. I am also unbelievably tired. 3 or 4 years ago I also experienced this numbness only in left arm though, went to Dr and they prescribed an anti inflamitory(SP?). I didnt feel like this was right, so I didnt take it, after a while it went away. I dont know how long it took because work got in the way.
    My job is very active, Im a chef and i spend my working day running around, so when this didnt go away at the start of Jan I went to Dr, he ran bloods for everything, and referred me for MRI.
    That brings me up to today.
    Thank you very much for replies. All I wanted was a general idea of how much this would cost so I could get money together. I will definatley be going public after initial diagnosis from consultant. The situation in Cork (according to my Dr) is waiting up to 2 years for one consultant, up to six months for another.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I attend an excellent neurologist in Tralee (worth travelling from Carlow for!!)Pm me if you want her details, if that would be an option for you.

Advertisement