Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane bridge closed

Options
  • 17-01-2011 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

The bridge was closed earlier today due to an inspection i believe. Howerer, my wife passed the area later this evening and said there was traffic going up the hill from it. So is it closed or not??!:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0117/slane.html
    This doesn't look good eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

It's closed. Traffic might be able to come from the housing estates on the north side of the hill. I had to detour as couldn't get home from the south tonight.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Slane Bridge is about 350 years old. It's a medieval era stone bridge taking huge volumes of heavy motor traffic and is totally unfit for purpose.

50 years ago it was unfit for purpose, let alone now. Why the bridge wasn't replaced in the 1960s/1970s when the other Boyne bridges at Navan and Drogheda were replaced beggars belief.

I sincerely hope the bridge is deemed unsafe ever to take motor traffic again.

I hope it closes to motor traffic permanently. It's a death trap. I know that this closure will inconvenience people in and around Slane but in the long run it's for the best.

Slane needs its bypass and modern bridge and it needs it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

If you look around the county and the country it's the same story, relying on 300 to 400 year old bridges to carry todays traffic. Not an ounce of infrastructure investment.
    Same goes for the water supply which came to the fore last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Slane Resident

Just to clarify, the N2 is closed at Slane bridge for possibly a week or maybe more due to subsidence.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0118/1224287760408.html

Agree with Jupiterkid on this one, it's totally unfit for the volume of traffic that goes over it daily and it's amazing TBH that it's lasted this long considering how badly it's been damaged by the many HGV accidents over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Does anyone have an update on the progress of the bridge works please?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Slane Resident

Still closed today, haven't heard yet whether it'll be closed at the weekend. I'll be walking past later and if there's anybody there in a Hi-Viz, I'll ask what the story is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kingpigeon6

Bridge is still closed and will be till Friday 28th of Jan.AA Website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Is the road back in business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Heard word it was to reopen last friday night, however AA roadwatch reporting traffic management in place at Slane until Feb 1st so there may be single traffic only.

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=116959

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Opened friday night but is now manned with a few lads with stop/go boards. I haven't gone down the hill towards the bridge yet but i hope they are putting that high grip surface down.

Advertisement