Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Dublin for free?

Options
  • 17-01-2011 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Ive some cousins coming over from the States in Feb and they're a bit frugal to say the least. Any suggestions for things to do in Dublin that costs nothing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

If you are on Facebook, sign up to the link below. The group is called "Things to do in Dublin on the dry". They will send you mails of what is goin on and a lot of the stuff is free! They send some great suggestions!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112969142051871

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Most museums and galleries are free. IMMA in Kilmainham is presently showing a huge amount of their catalog in a retrospective on Irish modern art. you'd pay through the nose for this in any other country.

i'd second that facebook page. they've always got lots of suggestions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The national museums have free entry, three locations in Dublin Museum.ie

Walk around the grounds of Trinity.

If they're into art there's tons of galleries in the city as well. Douglas Hyde, National Gallery, Photography Gallery Temple Bar, Kerlin Gallery, Temple Bar Gallery and Studios, Monster Truck

You've got the parks too - St Stephens' Green, Merrion Square, Iveagh Gardens. Pack a picnic and go for a walk around. Then there's the Phoenix Park, loads to see in there - Arás, American ambassador's residence, the deer, Wellington Monument, Pope's Cross, Furry Glen, feed the ducks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

With kids I too do things that cost little or nothing - Ardgillan Castle (Balbriggan), Newbridge House and Farm (Donabate) are my few little suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Had the same experience before. Brought my family on a walking tour of Dublin explaining the various landmarks and streets history / significance. Started at Hugh Lane gallery, down to the GPO via Moore street, over the bridge into Trinity for a walk around and the book of kells, onto Grafton and then through Temple bar onto Dame street, by Christchurch and then finishing up in Guinness storehouse. Vast majority of sites are free and it takes up a good few hours, handy thing is by the time your done they'll be to tired to nag you about other crap. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Free recitals in the gallery on parnell sq Sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Botanic Gardens always worth a visit.

A walk along the strand at Dollymount.

Check out for any weekend events at Farmleigh.

Any choral events at Christchurch.

Go knacker drinking on the boardwalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

loads of nice walks in the dublin mountains, bring a picnic. great way to spend a sat morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

You can't beat a nice long walk out Howth/Sutton way. Killiney Hill is a lovely spot for a walk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

Take the Dart, which is not exactly free but cheap enough and go for a walk, Malahide to Portmarnock is nice, also mentioned before is Killiney Hill. Sandymount Beach is also nice.
    The National Museum in Kildare Street and Collins Barracks are free of charge, so is the Nature History Museum and the National Gallery.

Isn't the Dublin City History exhibition in the Civic Office at Woodquay free of charge? Although I am not to sure it is still there.

Also Dublin Tourism has a Budget Guide for download on their website at www.visitdublin.ie
    The Botanic Gardens are also free. Or you can rent a bike and go for a spin, that won't break your bank.
    The Story of Dublin Exhibition in City Hall is very good too and a ticket is less than 4 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Can't believe nobody's mentioned the science gallery yet. A brilliant way to pass a few hours and all free!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

• Registered Users Posts: 46 d4head77

I have to say I can't STAND tightwads. Tell 'em to cough up or bugg$r off! :);):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Luckily it doesn't concern you, so you'll survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

cosmic wrote: »
    You can't beat a nice long walk out Howth/Sutton way. Killiney Hill is a lovely spot for a walk too.

+1 for Howth, absolutely brilliant place to bring people visiting Ireland! Killiney Hill is a good one too, but Howth is my favourite.

Another good freebie walk is Glendalough - although more difficult to get to unless you have a car.

Chester Beatty Library http://www.cbl.ie/ is another nice freebie place to go in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Weekend markets.
    There is a weekend market in Artane, just opposite Artane Castle in a big warehouse. It's worth a look if you like rummaging around. The best stand is the old guy down the back. He sells all sorts of junk, from vinyl records and vintage magazines, to bar stock, tools, and furniture.

Mother Redcaps in Coolock is ok. Not worth a trip unless you happen to be in the area. It's behind Halfords on Malahide road.

Blackrock market is great. Always worth the drive out, and of course theres plenty else to do around Blackrock.

Speaking of markets and rummaging, Phibsboro is probably the least scenic place in Dublin, but also the best place for a rummage, being home to around 5 charity shops, as well as a couple of fun discount stores. Worth a look for any retro collectors who will brave the car fumes to find a bargain.

If anyone knows of any other markets worth looking at, please let me know.

Parks And Gardens
    Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin is obvious, as well as The Phoenix Park, but I also love St Annes Park in Raheny, which is always busy and friendly on a summers day. It's nice to ramble down to the coast road, where you can continue up to Bull Island.

Howth/Sutton
    I think a lot of people probably just end up walking along the pier in Howth, or perhaps up around the summit, but there is so much more to see on the peninsula.
    Burrow Beach can be accessed just behind the train station, and its a beautiful walk all the way down to Baldoyle.

If you walk up around the back of the club house at Deer Park Golf Course, there is a great scenic hill walk. Also check out Aideens Dolmen Grave and Howth Castle.

My favourite part of the peninsula is Sutton, along the South edge, especially around Thormanby. Just turn right at the cross roads as you come into Sutton. Some stunning views, as you can see from the pictures on Google Maps here:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.362282,-6.072865&spn=0.031142,0.065918&z=14&lci=com.panoramio.all

All of the coastal parts of Dublin are worth a visit, but one of my favourites is Donabate. Go there midweek and I swear it feels like you've entered a timewarp back to the 80s. You can get tea for two in the quaint little hotel, and sit in the garden looking out over the sea. The walk up towards Portrane is lovely.

I subscribed to this thread. Hoping to get some more ideas.

Advertisement