Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing paint

• 17-01-2011 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hello

Is it true that it's not a good idea to store paint (emulsion and wood paint) outside in a shed?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It's a good idea not to store it where it can freeze, but many paints seem to survive being frozen and are ok once thawed. Other than that there is no issue that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Do not store any paint outside. Once frost gets to paint its gone. Try and store it in your hotpress or somewhere out of the way.

Frost destroys paints binders, like glue, and when you apply paint once frozen/frosted the binders lose the ability to work. It may look fine, but paint will crack and peel. Hence more work.

Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tcs

Do not store any paint outside. Once frost gets to paint its gone. Try and store it in your hotpress or somewhere out of the way.

Frost destroys paints binders, like glue, and when you apply paint once frozen/frosted the binders lose the ability to work. It may look fine, but paint will crack and peel. Hence more work.

Does this apply to any exposure to frost at all? We'd a guy in doing some painting for us during the week and he left our white paint out in the back garden. Saw it there this evening. It's been out at least one night, maybe two. I opened the tin and there were clumpy bits especially under the lid and on the sides (above the paint line.) I scraped all that out and skimmed some off the top surface of the paint. I then had a look at the state of the paint in general. It was a little clumpy on one side but I stirred it and it seemed ok but if you reckon it'll only cause us heartbreak, guess we need to chuck it ;-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Yeah, once it loses its orginal consistency due to frost 99% of the time its gone. If it has to be stirred because the top has been affected to a light yougurt texture its defo off. Plus its been a hard frost the last week or so. Important if it has to be stirred because its just being sitting around, thats differently entirely and will be OK.

Phil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

Thanks for the info. I might try keeping it under the stairs.

Advertisement