Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Credit Card Debt Become A Criminal Issue?

Options
  • 17-01-2011 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

A simple question really, was asked this before and have no idea, but can non payment of credit card debt become a criminal issue? (say higher end debt, like 5k).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

If there was a deliberate intention to defraud, then I would have thought yes - for example if you take out a card, max it out, never make a payment and then skip the country

Or if you take out a card with deliberately false information - for example about your employment status...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

no it cant you do not owe them anything cancel you debt.. visit www.blankofireland.me.... no contract return to sender

I think using a loan/credit facility is the very definition of owing them something.

If it's not, then can I borrow a couple of grand from you? I'll pay it back, I promise...

Oh, and the website you quoted doesn't exist apparently. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

if the bank get a judgment and a court order for payments. failure to pay as per a court order can result in criminal offence for contempt of court. This may result in prison in certain if the bank applies for it via a committal order.

If the person defrauded the bank then thats also an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

chris85 wrote: »
    if the bank get a judgment and a court order for payments. failure to pay as per a court order can result in criminal offence for contempt of court. This may result in prison in certain if the bank applies for it via a committal order.

If the person defrauded the bank then thats also an issue.

Yes, but don't you have to be served / notified in order for a court order to be given against you? In other words, if you never get any communication off the bank and have no knowledge of the proceedings (debt collection) or any legal action / court orders being taken out, can this still apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Yes, but don't you have to be served / notified in order for a court order to be given against you? In other words, if you never get any communication off the bank and have no knowledge of the proceedings (debt collection) or any legal action / court orders being taken out, can this still apply?

Yes and no in certain circumstances, if a summons has been intentially avoided by a debtor than the courts may allow subservice of the summons which would allow it to be sent by normal post rather than reg post, normal post may not make it to its destination but it satisfies the court everything has been done to notify the person.

More info and may be able to give a more specific answer for you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement