Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mass Poll

• 17-01-2011 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Catholics: watch the little video on RTE player. You don't have to watch the whole thing - I didn't - just watch the start, the middle, and the end, and then answer the poll question.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1089086

Once you've voted, post your comments and thoughts. Maybe also add your age profile too. I'll add my comments later.

What do you think of that Mass on RTE? 18 votes

I think it is great!
    0%
    I think it is a bit lame.
    38%
    PuckRed AlertmobbyPDNFISMAJonJoeDaliHuwmor 7 votes
    I don't know what to think.
    44%
    delta_bravoSteveDongeorgieporgybluemoonerDeus Ex MachinaSefirahubertradXizors Palace 8 votes
    I don't think it matters to be honest. Mass is Mass.
    16%
    mikemachinaultLottie127 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

I watched a good bit of it without sound (in case other people in the room thought I was crazy) and though a valid mass I don't think it's what Pope Paul vi had in mind. The participants seemed uncomfortable being there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

It can be a bit happy-clappy from time to time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭ubertrad

If that was what was on offer in my parish, I would withdraw all financial support and attend Mass somewhere else.

I experienced a good arrangement at the ADORE Eucharistic Youth Conference in 2009 I think it was, in Cork. Fr Edgardo 'Bing' Arellano was leading the conference. The Mass was the Ordinary Form, in Latin, ad orientem, with Gregorian chant. The Mass was a sacred and reverent affair. But apart from the Mass, there were 'praise and worship' sessions, held entirely separately from the Mass. This struck me as a perfect example of how things should be. There is a valid place for praise and worship music, but not at Mass. I think some Catholic groups have fallen into the trap of combining 'praise and worship' with the Mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭SonOfAdam

ubertrad wrote:
    There is a valid place for praise and worship music, but not at Mass

I've heard this said before here - and having read some of your threads it could have been said by you in a previous incarnation. If mass is the central expression of your faith - where else but there would you praise and worship God ? Also, at the risk of being infracted, these catholic only threads are a tad tiring - this is not catholicsonly.ie

• Advertisement

SonOfAdam wrote: »
    I've heard this said before here - and having read some of your threads it could have been said by you in a previous incarnation. If mass is the central expression of your faith - where else but there would you praise and worship God ? Also, at the risk of being infracted, these catholic only threads are a tad tiring - this is not catholicsonly.ie

Catholics don't believe in reincarnation!:p

Well what's the point of having a specifically Catholic thread with interjections from those who have no real interest or specific knowledge of the subject matter? Your post is an example of that, with all due respect. You lack the insight and knowledge about Catholic worship to understand why this even matters.

Boards.ie is very quiet and I am making some effort to create threads and discussions.

Some of my threads are specifically Catholic, but others are open to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

I don't think non rc christians are excluded here though. The Mass has often been dumbed down in a mistaken effort to attract 'outsiders'. At least that is what we are told. I for one wonder if any of our brother christians would indeed be attracted to something like the RTE Mass.

I don't think non rc christians are excluded here though. The Mass has often been dumbed down in a mistaken effort to attract 'outsiders'. At least that is what we are told. I for one wonder if any of our brother christians would indeed be attracted to something like the RTE Mass.

I think it is so lame. I don't think any young people would be attracted by that, certainly not young men.

I think many lay people are scandalised by what priests do to the Mass, but they haven't the nerve to approach the priest about it. This is why clericalism is still alive and well. I am guessing many priests would dismiss the concerns of lay-people with a proud attitude of 'Who are you to tell me how to be a priest or say Mass?' I would approach my local priests if I wasn't fairly confident that this is precisely the dismissive attitude I would face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

Do you need to reconsider what the purpose of a televised mass (or indeed Morning Worship) is?

I've always considered them as providing a mechanism for including those unable to get out in person due to illness or infirmity. I cant imagine many young healthy people sitting down to watch a TV service on a Sunday morning.

If your view is that only traditionalists would be ill or infirm, then perhaps you need to think again - or perhaps petition RTE to undertake a survey of their viewers/non-viewers. At the end of the day I doubt that RTE enforce any sort of style and its not their call as to how the mass is said (?)

From the non-catholic perspective of Morning Worship, I know RTE often struggle to find churches prepared to do this - perhaps its the same for the Mass?

Is it also fair to reach a general conclusion on televised mass based on one service?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I don't have a problem with it per-se. I personally enjoy the traditional church hymns, but I'd happily go along to a mass with gospel or folk or no music. Unless I missed something, I didn't think the choir was irreverent or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I'm not really bothered. I'll go to Mass at my own church or I'll listen to it on RTÉ Radio 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭zoomtard

GIRM and the Canon Law has no problem with there being praise and worship music in the mass. You are actually more Catholic than the Magisterium.

The only possible cure is a dose of Jesus' parables, 3 times a day for the rest of your life ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

ubertrad wrote: »
    If that was what was on offer in my parish, I would withdraw all financial support and attend Mass somewhere else.

Yes, when my service providers like UPC or whatever don't give good service, I also switch my financial allegiance.
    I experienced a good arrangement at the ADORE Eucharistic Youth Conference in 2009 I think it was, in Cork. Fr Edgardo 'Bing' Arellano was leading the conference. The Mass was the Ordinary Form, in Latin, ad orientem, with Gregorian chant. The Mass was a sacred and reverent affair. But apart from the Mass, there were 'praise and worship' sessions, held entirely separately from the Mass. This struck me as a perfect example of how things should be. There is a valid place for praise and worship music, but not at Mass. I think some Catholic groups have fallen into the trap of combining 'praise and worship' with the Mass.

Wow, you're nuts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

SonOfAdam wrote: »
    Also, at the risk of being infracted, these catholic only threads are a tad tiring - this is not catholicsonly.ie

Mores the pity. Perhaps you could add your voice here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055952595

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

Catholics: watch the little video on RTE player. You don't have to watch the whole thing - I didn't - just watch the start, the middle, and the end, and then answer the poll question.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1089086

Once you've voted, post your comments and thoughts. Maybe also add your age profile too. I'll add my comments later.

I haven't voted yet because you didn't put up an option for WTF*.

*WFT: Where's the faith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Xizors Palace

zoomtard wrote: »
    GIRM and the Canon Law has no problem with there being praise and worship music in the mass. You are actually more Catholic than the Magisterium.

Let's see what the Second Vatican Council said about music in the Liturgy:
    116. The Church acknowledges Gregorian chant as specially suited to the Roman liturgy: therefore, other things being equal, it should be given pride of place in liturgical services.

-- CONSTITUTION ON THE SACRED LITURGY
    SACROSANCTUM CONCILIUM
    SOLEMNLY PROMULGATED BY
    HIS HOLINESS
    POPE PAUL VI
    ON DECEMBER 4, 1963

The Pope wants to restore the sacred, so part of that would mean, on a practical level, restoring the Church's sacred music. Guitars and such are not sacred.

Maybe English comprehension isn't the strong suit of you Latin-lovers but saying that "other things being equal, it [chant] should be given pride of place in liturgical services" in no way at all justifies the previous crazy claim "There is a valid place for praise and worship music, but not at Mass".

So in summation, the semantic content of SC116 is that chant has first preference, not exclusive preference.

I worship in a different branch of the church (what you might call an "ecclesial community") but similar dissatisfactions are raised in the grammar of my tradition. Underlying it all seems to be a desire to tailor worship as a commodity that suits your preferences that is at heart anti-community. If liturgy is not dogmatic, then it is not dogma. The Roman Rite has been in evolution since it began, a long way short of 2000 years ago. It is ahistorical, anachronistic and theologically illiterate to unduly favour one mode that is somehow deemed "authentic" over and against others that in no way contravene the spirit or the word of the guiding texts.

This is my last post on this thread and I can summarise my whole point in one sentence: if you are more Roman than the Magesterium, you are in a very dangerous place.

If the Pope wants to outlaw praise and worship music then he has the means to do that. He has not done that. Your ultra-montane sensibilities should hold back from these over-the-top pronouncements. Guitars less sacred than chant? What does that even mean?!

Maybe English comprehension isn't the strong suit of you Latin-lovers but saying that "other things being equal, it [chant] should be given pride of place in liturgical services" in no way at all justifies the previous crazy claim "There is a valid place for praise and worship music, but not at Mass".

So in summation, the semantic content of SC116 is that chant has first preference, not exclusive preference.

I worship in a different branch of the church (what you might call an "ecclesial community") but similar dissatisfactions are raised in the grammar of my tradition. Underlying it all seems to be a desire to tailor worship as a commodity that suits your preferences that is at heart anti-community. If liturgy is not dogmatic, then it is not dogma. The Roman Rite has been in evolution since it began, a long way short of 2000 years ago. It is ahistorical, anachronistic and theologically illiterate to unduly favour one mode that is somehow deemed "authentic" over and against others that in no way contravene the spirit or the word of the guiding texts.

This is my last post on this thread and I can summarise my whole point in one sentence: if you are more Roman than the Magesterium, you are in a very dangerous place.

If the Pope wants to outlaw praise and worship music then he has the means to do that. He has not done that. Your ultra-montane sensibilities should hold back from these over-the-top pronouncements. Guitars less sacred than chant? What does that even mean?!

Gregorian Chant is the music tradition of the Roman Rite of Mass. It belongs to the Roman Rite. SC recognised that. What we got after the Council though what we got was lot of tamborines, banal hymns, and guitars. Very folks and very 70s, but not what the Council called for.

Read the book Spirit of the Liturgy by Ratzinger, then you will discover that it is you are mistaken. Having a mish-mash of different musics to suit everybody's individual taste (which is what you are advocating without realising it) is against the authentic spirit of the liturgy. You will alienate many and please some. With the Roman Liturgy, there is a set form of music that goes with it, and that is chant. All the guitar Masses that followed the Council had absolutely nothing to do with the Council, the Mass, or anything else other than the spirit of the times.

I think you should avoid judgemental pronouncements about my being more Catholic than the Magisterium, when you have not the intellectual competence nor authority to do it.

I think you should avoid judgemental pronouncements about my being more Catholic than the Magisterium, when you have not the intellectual competence nor authority to do it.

I didn't realise I was being judgmental. Perhaps I lacked the intellectual competence. I didn't realise there was an office for questioning if you are going beyond the word and spirit of the law. What does the law state the capacities are to receive that authority?

The reality is, as repeatedly stated, that while Gregorian Chant has a primary role in the Roman Rite it is not an exclusive role. There is no restriction in the GIRM or in any liturgical text that I am aware of (in my intellectual incompetency) that excludes other modes of music, including contemporary praise.

I agree by the way, with your general judgment on contemporary praise music. CS Lewis had it right when he said it was 6th rate poetry set to 7th rate music. But us evangelicals are, for what it's worth, happy to lend you the best of our music! ;)

As an aside, the (arbitrary?) separation of sacred and secular is one of those distinctions that seems only to do harm to Christian (and other) thought.

I didn't realise I was being judgmental. Perhaps I lacked the intellectual competence. I didn't realise there was an office for questioning if you are going beyond the word and spirit of the law. What does the law state the capacities are to receive that authority?

The reality is, as repeatedly stated, that while Gregorian Chant has a primary role in the Roman Rite it is not an exclusive role. There is no restriction in the GIRM or in any liturgical text that I am aware of (in my intellectual incompetency) that excludes other modes of music, including contemporary praise.

I agree by the way, with your general judgment on contemporary praise music. CS Lewis had it right when he said it was 6th rate poetry set to 7th rate music. But us evangelicals are, for what it's worth, happy to lend you the best of our music! ;)

As an aside, the (arbitrary?) separation of sacred and secular is one of those distinctions that seems only to do harm to Christian (and other) thought.
    Well, you know, why do you think we are so pleased to have those Anglicans coming over? We hope, at least I do, that they bring their good musical and liturgical taste, with them.

The GIRM doesn't say anything about Mass facing the people (it actually hints at the opposite if you read between the lines), nor did the Council say anything about removing altar-rails or statues or beautiful altars paid for by the pennies of the poor, yet all these things happened in the name of Vatican II. The music thing is part of that.

CS Lewis had his head screwed on well. You know, talking of competence, myself, I am not terribly competent. I have read about these things and know quite a bit, but putting it all into words - articulating my thoughts, is something I need to work on. Cardinal Ratzinger/Benedict XVI has a very good insight into the authentic spirit of the liturgy, knowing exactly where we went wrong following the Council. I take my leads from him and the Magisterium. He speaks about sacred and profane music in his book, The Spirit of the Liturgy.

• Advertisement

Well, you know, why do you think we are so pleased to have those Anglicans coming over? We hope, at least I do, that they bring their good musical and liturgical taste, with them.

They might be really funny or have cool lego that they'll let you play with too.
    ;)

Arguing from silence is well, worthy of a silent response. :)

I have read Ratzinger extensively and can appreciate his significance. Introduction to Christianity and Called To Communion both provoked lots of fruitful thought for me. But I am afraid that reading about Catholic Liturgy is something I would only do to pass an exam. There is just too much Barth, Calvin and Augustine in the world to be distracted. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

... or beautiful altars paid for by the pennies of the poor...

Off topic, I know, but I love this emotive expression - do rich people not contribute to the churches you have attended?

homer911 wrote: »
    Off topic, I know, but I love this emotive expression - do rich people not contribute to the churches you have attended?

lol I love it too.

I feel strongly about it you see, because the still beautiful but diminished Church I attend each Sunday used to have beautiful side altars to Our Lady and another to St. Joseph. All they needed was a bit of restoration work (read: cleaning!) and they'd have been great, but alas, the PP, in his wisdom, took it upon himself to have them smashed up. Nice.

So yes, it was the pennies of the poor who paid for it, bearing in mind most Catholics were being suppressed by the Protestant ruling class. So whilst there are rich Catholics now, there weren't so many back then.

I feel sad that my Church had such rich treasures ripped out and dumped, and all in the name of Vatican II, which called for none, I repeat none, of this iconoclasm. I feel very strongly about it. This happened across the Western world.

(CWN) Describing Pope Benedict’s decision to name him a cardinal as “a sign of love of the Pope for sacred music,” Cardinal Domenico Bartolucci discussed the crisis in Church music in a recent interview.

The cardinal, who served as director of the Sistine Chapel Choir from 1956 until his ouster in 1997, paid tribute to the love for sacred music shown by Ven. Pius XII and Blessed John XXIII. “Benedict XVI loves Gregorian chant and polyphony very much and wants to recover the use of Latin,” he added. “He understands that without Latin the repertory of the past is destined to be filed away.”

“It is necessary to return to a liturgy that makes room for music, with a taste for the beautiful, and also to return to true sacred art,” the cardinal said.

More: http://www.zenit.org/article-31511?l=english

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Jeepers OP, if the music in the video linked bothered you I'd love to see your reaction to worship sessions at the churches I attend where a normal sunday consists of stuff like this...

and this

http://sundaypm.bandcamp.com/track/we-want-freedom (free download on this link, highly recommend music from an amazingly talented man, personal friend and the worship leader at my Church :) you can buy his stuff on iTunes, just search for Andrew Feeney![/plug]).

or even this, a personal favourite...

Tis a great way to start a bit o learnin' 'bout the lord!

Guitars, drums, bass, 3 vocalists, sure it's like a mini rock concert, great stuff altogether!
    Sure it wouldn't be Sunday without 10 people on stage giving it socks for God for an hour to get ya pumped :)

I like this actually:

I even like the odd bit of Shine, Jesus Shine :o but these songs do not belong at Mass. At praise and worship sessions yes, but at Mass, no. For Mass we require an altogether different approach. Many Catholics do not accept this, so you are not alone in your opposition.

Since we are sharing videos, check this one out - a contemporary rendition of the Litany of the Saints:

I actually like that Lifehouse song, hate the "skit" though...

Seaneh wrote: »
    I actually like that Lifehouse song, hate the "skit" though...

I like the skit. I got emotional the first time I saw it. I think it is quite powerful. (I'm quite an evangelical Catholic really...!!!!)

I like the skit. I got emotional the first time I saw it. I think it is quite powerful. (I'm quite an evangelical Catholic really...!!!!)

When you see an american youth group "preforming" it in the street, you might grow to hate it, haha!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I thought it was pretty good. The choir was OK, and the guy in the green robe doing his Father Ted impression seemed like a good old stick.

Seriously though, this is pretty much how the Catholic Church has grown in the rest of the world, by fusing cultural elements with its traditional teachings. If you were to attend mass in Nairobi or Jakarta then you would expect to find them using the kind of music that is attractive to the majority of the population there.

This is actually one of the main differences between Christianity and Islam - what Lamin Sanneh (an African theologian and professor at Yale) calls 'translatability'. Islam exalts Arabic culture and language above all others - even to the extent that people in cold climates wear clothing more suited to the desert and read their Scriptures in Arabic even when they don't understand Arabic.

Christianity, however, has shown a wonderful adaptivity in dressing up the core message in cultural ways that suit the people groups it is trying to reach.

The Church is not Hebrew, or Latin, or Greek. It is the people of God worldwide, and that implies that African American music is every bit as sacred as Gregorian chant (which was itself a huge innovation when it replaced the music that previous generations thought was 'sacred').

PDN wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty good. The choir was OK, and the guy in the green robe doing his Father Ted impression seemed like a good old stick.

Seriously though, this is pretty much how the Catholic Church has grown in the rest of the world, by fusing cultural elements with its traditional teachings. If you were to attend mass in Nairobi or Jakarta then you would expect to find them using the kind of music that is attractive to the majority of the population there.

This is actually one of the main differences between Christianity and Islam - what Lamin Sanneh (an African theologian and professor at Yale) calls 'translatability'. Islam exalts Arabic culture and language above all others - even to the extent that people in cold climates wear clothing more suited to the desert and read their Scriptures in Arabic even when they don't understand Arabic.

Christianity, however, has shown a wonderful adaptivity in dressing up the core message in cultural ways that suit the people groups it is trying to reach.

The Church is not Hebrew, or Latin, or Greek. It is the people of God worldwide, and that implies that African American music is every bit as sacred as Gregorian chant (which was itself a huge innovation when it replaced the music that previous generations thought was 'sacred').

Somebody somewhere made the point that it is funny how some people are all for inculturation but not for European musical stuff. Can't for the life of me remember where I read that recently :( .... But basically, we get bongos and guitars and stuff in Kildare and Cork, but we ignore our patrimony - the Gregorian chant and all that stuff. The chant actually harks back to the temple worship and the Psalms. The rich musical liturgical heritage of Europe is not something to be stuffed in a museum drawer, it's our culture and heritage to be lived and used.

It's funny that what we saw following Vatican II was a form of dis-inculturation in Europe, whereby we threw out our wonderful European heritage, culture, our musical patrimony, and imported **** from elsewhere. If we want inculturation, why not have more Gaelic Masses? I attended one once in Scotland - it was beautiful.

It's also funny that, just as the secular world, the non-belieiving, are discovering the beauty of chant (see the major releases which have done very, very well) and young people are loving it cos it's on the soundtrack of their computer games. They think this is what Catholics do in church. Were they to come to church, they'd be disappointed. I know I am disappointed. At Mass in my local church, the hymns are banal and cringeworthy. I merely endure the lameness. If there was an alternative, I'd be there.

There is authentic inculturation, and there is what I would call dis-inculturation, which is a denial of what is one's own, and which would foist lame **** on people who come to Mass. I'm sick and tired of it, and so are all my friends, both male and female. We long for reverence and sacred beauty. If we want a rock concert, we go to a rock concert.

There's a good conference held in Cork each year on the Catholic Liturgy; last year it addressed sacred music: some info on that: http://en.gloria.tv/?media=69309

There is a very good article here on Perverted Liturgy and the True Church

Excerpt:
    For those who were liturgically tormented in their youth by weapons of Mass destruction, it’s almost a sweet revenge to hear the words recently spoken by Cardinal Antonio Canizares Llovera, prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments. (If, like me, you suffered such abuse, briefly recall all those groovy felt banners with hip slogans, “relevant liturgical presiders,” and ex-nuns who forced you to sing the execrable rot from Glory and Praise. Now, read on…) “Worship becomes perverted,” His Eminence said, “when we have a celebration in which the community celebrates itself. The principle should be that God occupies the central place.” Further, he complained that, too often, the Mass is “reduced to a mere banquet, a celebration of the community, a commemoration, but not the very sacrifice of Christ who gives himself up for us on the Cross.”

Underscoring the Cardinal’s comments about reverence and God-centeredness in the Mass was an important doctrinal truth: The Church is essentially Eucharistic, and, as such, it is God’s chosen means of uniting men with Himself and with each other. Or, in his own words, “the Church is the living and efficacious sacrament [sign] of union with God and unity among the entire human race.” It is not our “sincerity” that unites us to God. It is not the United Nations that effects unity among men. According to Cardinal Canizares, the true unity of mankind with each other and with God, “is only possible through participation in the Body of Christ. This is what happens in the Eucharist.”

[...]

Lex orandi lex credendi est. As we pray, so we believe. Liturgy and doctrine must both be restored if the restoration of either is to be authentic. For restoration to take place, continuity is essential. For continuity to be real, tradition is indispensable. And tradition, dear reader, is good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

Some extracts from the letter of Pyotr Tchaikovsky to the rector of Kiev Theological Academy, dated 1882:

"The chant of Bratsky Monastery, which is highly regarded in Kiev as remarkably beautiful, annoys me, depresses me and even terrifies me. For some reason starting from the end of last century in our churches we adopted that unnaturally sweet style of Italian music of the 18th century, which in my opinion is not suitable for church in general and particularly for our Orthodox worship. Last Sunday I listened reluctantly to that strange, mazurka-like, nauseatingly affected Kyrie eleison. When the royal doors of the iconostasis closed the singer gabbled on one chord Praise the Lord from the Heavens as though casting aside the heavy burden of praising God in favour of their obligation to entertain the public with concert music, and summoned up their strength to begin performing a long, mindless, shapeless concerto, based in an alien mode, trivial, without talent, overflowing with vocal tricks ill befitting a place of worship, I experienced a surge of indignation which increased the more they sang. Now a bass bawled out a wild, howling roar, now a solo treble began to squeal, then a snatch of a phrase from some Italian trepak was heard, now an operatic love motif rang out with unnatural sweetness in the most rough, bare, tame harmonisation, now the whole choir faded to an exaggeratedly delicate pianissimo, now began to roar, to bellow at the tops of their voices. Oh God! And where precisely did this musical orgy begin? Precisely at that moment when the central act of the whole Divine Liturgy was being celebrated, when your Grace and your concelebrants administered the Body and Blood of Christ. I made my way out of the cathedral and I noticed that a lot of people were leaving too. They all looked well educated and belonging to upper class. But they were leaving because of a very different reason. From their conversations I understood that they were the people who came to the church not for a worship but for entertainment. They were very pleased with the concert and were giving high credit to the choir and the cantor. It was clear that it's only because of the concert they were there and as soon as it was finished they started to leave."

This is an example (a good quality one) of what the creator of the Swan Lake and the Nutcracker was opposing to be sang in churches. Glory To God In The Highest by Dmitry Bortniansky:

Advertisement