Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which one ?

Options
  • 17-01-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my satnav and I cant decide between the Garmin Nuvi 3790t or the Tomtom go1000 .
    Which one is better for traffic reports and is more accurate at finding addresses.

Has anyone tried both and got any advice to help with my choice ?
    Does anywhere in Dublin sell the Garmin one so I could have a look at it ?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The TomTom would be better for traffic reports as their traffic service is live.
    I reckon Harvey Normans or the likes would have both devices in stock for you to have a play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭westdublin

Thanks for the reply Koolkid ,what is the traffic reports on the Garmin like ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They are good for Ireland as we never had a traffic service before now.
    But the live traffic on TOMTOM 1000 & 1005 is more accurate & up to date.
    You also have the benefit of other live services like
    Google Search & Weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

well, got go live 1000 few days ago.... and going to bring it back to argos tomorrow.... absolutelly rubish which looks great :) ... no support, no updates, web based software is useless, no customisation , device reseting itself very often .... so dissapointed, spending 275quid for it ... btw going to change it for go 950 live :)

Can you tell me what the version of software is?
    It seems more like you have got a faulty unit.
    I have not had any issues with reboots.
    What problems have you had with support.
    The Go 950 will not work for live services over here,

• Advertisement

hiya KK, still have 10.022.xxxx , maps 850.2877 ... installed all drivers and software and no updates available , myTT says urs device is up to date :( about support mean extra downloads, voices, pois etc :)
    btw what you saing is go950 live isn't working here, cheers

just did factory reset, still no updating :( quite pissed off :(

It should be 10.040 .I am sure that was released.
    Goto settings in my Tomtom and clear cache.
    Also check install beta versions when available.
    Start task manager and close Tom tom.exe
    Restart My Tom tom and see are you offered updates.
    I would still be suspicious of that device TBH.

..did all things as you said but still : Your navigation device is up-to-date. There are no updates waiting for installation. .... :(

checked on two laptops :) still no joy .. probably I've got 'beta version' of live 1000 lol

Ooops ,!! I was Looking at a GO1005 :o
    Latest App for 1000 is 10.024.596308.29 (0) (3110 , 2/11/2010)
    What is the info on your where I marked in bold?

is 3012, 9/13/2010 ,mate
    gps 2.16.201 75147 boot 534808

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Track42

is 3012, 9/13/2010 ,mate
    gps 2.16.201 75147 boot 534808

It seems that TT is having problems with the 1000 series of devices at the moment. If you open the Support page on the TT website and click on “ Important Information about devices connecting to My Tom Tom” you’ll get a list of features that are “not yet available but will be in the near future”. They include the latest map guarantee, backing up, adding POIs and voices and mapshare and many others.

The rebooting problem seems to have affected a number of units. That problem - referred to under “Current Issues” – is marked ”09/12/2010 - Resolved: 12:30 GMT”, so presumably a fix is downloaded automatically when a device is updated.

Perhaps TT has released these models prematurely.

Advertisement