Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands similar to...

Options
  • 17-01-2011 8:41pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    I've really gotten into a perfect circle,ashes divide,tool,I've been listening to them for a few months now but i'm just wondering if anyone can recommend other bands similar in musical style?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Karnivool, Rishloo, Mastodon, Isis, Cult of Luna, The Butterfly Effect, Russian Circles, Second Skin, Pelican, Long Distance Calling....

Theres a few :p

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TemptationWaits

Placebo! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Opeth

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Karnivool, Rishloo

Theres a few :p

I like them :) have'nt had a chance to listen to the rest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

what albums would be best to start off with Karnivool and Rishloo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

"Sound Awake" by Karnivool
    and
    Rishloo "Eidolon"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

I'm not fully sure why, but I have a feeling you'd like Portishead (if you haven’t listened to them), with female lead singer (;)) Beth Gibbons.

I'd go with their self-titled if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Opeth (as above), Down, Mastodon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

One band that popped into my mind was Porcupine Tree. Dunno if they are like any of those bands (don't listen to any of what's listed here bar Opeth), it's just a connection I've drawn from friends who listen to that sort of stuff.

There is also the last.fm option, use it to see if there is any bands with a good similarity to what you listen to, like A Perfect Circle, TOOL or Ashes Divide. You'll get a fair bit of crossover in the lists, so that might help to pick some.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Melvins.

• Advertisement

I'm not fully sure why, but I have a feeling you'd like Portishead (if you haven’t listened to them), with female lead singer (;)) Beth Gibbons.

I'd go with their self-titled if you're interested.

not bad but not really what I'm looking for,I got a karnivool (sp?) really like it,right up my street and subscribed to the last.fm thing someone mentioned,first 30 song are free then you gotta pay 3 euro for a month :O just discovered kataonia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Chevelle are apparently like Tool. Don't really see it myself.

Rishloo! I'm surprised to hear them mentioned here! Saw them in concert as support act on like a four band lineup a few years back. I think they played second, if memory serves me correctly. Were quite good. Will have to check out their album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

not bad but not really what I'm looking for

Oh yes, feel free to take or leave that impulsive thought :). I was drawing from my own personal experience of really liking Tool's later stuff, APC, Deftones and other bands you may like, where I'm of the opinion that their instrumentation is an apt setting for the delivery of their uniquely atmospheric voice/lyrics. Now, as with APC's coercion and Deftones, when at their best, produce lyrics of a sexual/relationship context, I thought it would be interesting to gain a similar insight into the female perspective through the musicianship of a knowledgeable woman; the result, although an arguably different genre, was a Portishead recommendation.

Jesus that might sound pretentious, but fuck it, there's my spontaneous thought process.

I'd also second Isis, they seem to me to be a gradually heavier step up from the likes of say God is an Astronaut.

God is an Astronaut.

They came up randomly on last.fm today,really like them,them and another band called peach if anyones heard of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

another band called peach if anyones heard of them?

I have Giving Birth to a Stone, some good tracks on it. They supported Tool back in the day and when Tool's original bassist left, Justin Chancellor left Peach for Tool (and for a while Tool covered Peach's "You Lied" and "Spasm").

/nerdism

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

A band that immediately springs to mind when I think APC/Ashes Divide is Koma (early career)/Khoma (more recently)

If you can get your hands on the album Tsunami you will not be disappointed!

Another is Made out of Babies

Advertisement