Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish independent, Jim Cusack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Ya because Limerick is the safest city on the face of the earth right????
    Yet more burying heads in the sand.
    It's that sort of attitude down the years thats got the city where it is today.
    Ignore it and it will go away.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

gihj wrote: »
    Ya because Limerick is the safest city on the face of the earth right????
    Yet more burying heads in the sand.
    It's that sort of attitude down the years thats got the city where it is today.
    Ignore it and it will go away.:rolleyes:

Grow up and make a constructive reply, ffs.

The headline there is ridiculous, for a start, and the article isn't much better.

If some folk thought the way i do back when this problem wasn't so widespread then things wouldn't be as bad as they presently are.
    That my friend is a fact.

For too long the people of the city and more importantly the local politicians have been living in denial.

Ever hear of nipping something in the bud????

And your role as mod doesn't include the right to tell me to grow up by the way.

I'm older than you for a start.
    Old enough to remember what a great city it was before denial and neglect ruined it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Nobody in this thread denied anything about the state of this city. You jumped in with that line before anyone else even replied to the OP. The "burying heads in the sand" and "stop being in denial" lines have ruined countless threads in this forum. As a moderator, I do have the responsibility to promote minimum standards here. Giving a decent reply to an article would make for a much better thread than giving out to people who haven't even posted yet.

Nobody in this thread denied anything about the state of this city. You jumped in with that line before anyone else even replied to the OP. The "burying heads in the sand" and "stop being in denial" lines have ruined countless threads in this forum. As a moderator, I do have the responsibility to promote minimum standards here. Giving a decent reply to an article would make for a much better thread than giving out to people who haven't even posted yet.

Well in fairness the thread is basically a rolleyes to the Dublin media who do be giving us a bad name unfairly.

Seen it all before so why should it not attract the same replies as before.

As a moderator could you tell me please after how long am i entitled to reply to any thread???

5th post,20th,87th?????
    Your reply makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement

Well in fairness the thread is basically a rolleyes to the Dublin media who do be giving us a bad name unfairly.

Seen it all before so why should it not attract the same replies as before.

As a moderator could you tell me please after how long am i entitled to reply to any thread???

5th post,20th,87th?????
    Your reply makes no sense to me.

You're entitled to reply to it whenever you like, and you know that well.

However, if you're going to take the time to reply, you should at least put some effort into it. You basically replied as sarcastically as you could. Highlighting the terrible standard of journalism in the printed media has nothing to do with the problems in Limerick.

If you're so jaded by people complaining, then butt out and read something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Its a shocking cynical attempt to twist the story of The Dalai lama visiting Ireland into a limerick bashing article. The article only references Southhill in the body, yet proclaims in the headline that the city has lost all hope and lives in fear. Bollox it does. Its as safe to walk around limerick streets as any others in the country, possibly even more so.

Articles like this lower tourism prospects, lower job prospects, and lower the income into Limerick. We have a problem, yes, but it isnt being helped by being blown out of all proportion at every given opportunity, or even by manufacturing opportuinities to stick the knife in (excuse the pun), as has happened above. The Journalist took a positive news story and mangled it into a negative piece. Shameful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Jersey Girl

Point of clarification. Jim Cusack writes for the Sunday Independent. It's a different publication from the Irish Independent.
    They share the same office block as does the Sunday World, Evening Herald and Sunday Tribune but that's all they have in common.
    Sunday Independent is the people that brought you WORLD EXCLUSIVE Liam Lawlor story from Moscow! 'Nuff said.

zuroph wrote: »
    Its as safe to walk around limerick streets as any others in the country, possibly even more so.

Absolute nonsense.
    It's a horrible threatening place to walk day or night.

And it's a pity it has to be that way but blaming the media wont reverse that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Ridiculous story, I totally agree with Zuroph twisting a good news story making it a bad news hatchet job story that is just pure and utter bulls**t. I would walk around Limerick at night no bother but would not dream of doing the same in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Absolute nonsense.

Please stop posting such absolute nonsense. It's demeaning to the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Absolute nonsense.

Are you for real? Threatening place night or day !
    You obviously do not know what you are talking about

Absolute nonsense.

yeah thats bull****. Its the exact same to walk around as anywhere else. In fact, I feel safer on Limerick streets at night than I do in Dublin or Cork. But I wont say that means its actually safer, as theres a lot of factors in play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Grow up and make a constructive reply, ffs.

Something like
    Seriously, independent, F off. :rolleyes:

maybe?

Something like

maybe?

I wasnt replying to a thread, I was bringing the article to attention.

And I got around to making my views on it when I finished sorting my dinner. Shaking in fear the whole time I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

If some folk thought the way i do back when this problem wasn't so widespread then things wouldn't be as bad as they presently are.
    That my friend is a fact.

If people thought the way you do no one would leave their houses.

I think it's class the Dalai Lama is coming to Limerick. I intend to honour his peaceful resistance to oppression by fire-bombing a few Chinese restaurants (no good ones, don't worry).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

The headline there is ridiculous, for a start, and the article isn't much better.

The headline isn't ridiculous. Exagerrated maybe, but most headlines are. Especially Sunday Independent ones.

He quotes Fr Pat Hogan who quotes parents saying they fear the worst from their troublemaking children, wishing the authorities would take them away. That seems like a situation where fear has overtaken hope.

"Dalai Lama to visit city where fear has overwhelmed hope"

Let's look at the headline. Southill is in Limerick. Those parents and residents suffering at the hands of troublemakers have had their hope overwhelmed by fear. So fear has overwhelmed hope in Southill, in Limerick city, the city in the headline.

Hopefully some bit of good will come from the Dalai Lama's visit, one way or another.

Speaking of Limerick's name being dragged through the mud, over on UTV News' website there's a row a brewing over whether Derry can be considered the "Limerick of Northern Ireland".

http://www.u.tv/News/Man-arrested-after-Londonderry-assault/b5acefb2-de0a-4a32-a740-f5302bdeca36

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

I can take your point about people living in denial, people ignored what was going on for years cause they didnt live in the bad areas so it didnt effect them much however the above comment is just silly, either that or you need to grow a pair of balls.

Dont get me wrong, i wouldnt go wondering around the Island, Weston or Southill at night on my own the same way I wouldnt do it in the Bullring in Tralee, Knocknaheeny in Cork or the Likes of Finglas and Crumlin in Dubland.

gaf1983 wrote: »
    The headline isn't ridiculous. Exagerrated maybe, but most headlines are. Especially Sunday Independent ones.

He quotes Fr Pat Hogan who quotes parents saying they fear the worst from their troublemaking children, wishing the authorities would take them away. That seems like a situation where fear has overtaken hope.

"Dalai Lama to visit city where fear has overwhelmed hope"

Let's look at the headline. Southill is in Limerick. Those parents and residents suffering at the hands of troublemakers have had their hope overwhelmed by fear. So fear has overwhelmed hope in Southill, in Limerick city, the city in the headline.

In that case, the headline should read: "Dalai Llama to Visit Southill, Where Fear Has Overwhelmed Hope."
    gaf1983 wrote: »
    Hopefully some bit of good will come from the Dalai Lama's visit, one way or another.

I agree with you on this count though. :)

Dalai Lama to visit city where zuroph lost €2 down a drain once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

In that case, the headline should read: "Dalai Llama to Visit Southill, Where Fear Has Overwhelmed Hope."

Yes, it probably should. And Southill has the national profile for all the wrong reasons that people around the country wouldn't need to have it explained to them where it is.

Regarding the comments that the article was a hatchet job on a good news story, I beg to differ. His visit's being arranged by a group called Children in Conflict Crossfire, (this just shows the attention to detail of Jim Cusack's journalism to be honest, he couldn't even be bothered checking the name of the charity behind the visit) not the local Buddhist community (who have a place opposite the Belltable, by the way).

I don't think it's a good news story that a charity, laudable as they are, set up to protect and promote the rights of the world's most vulnerable poverty-stricken children should feel they have to visit the third city in one of the wealthiest countries in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Absolute nonsense.

Couldn't agree less and would have to say you'd be part of a small minority that think this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Dalai Lama to visit city where zuroph lost €2 down a drain once
    Nice story but you need to sex up the headline a bit.
    Seriously though its almost become cool to go against people who stand up for limerick. Its like its gone full circle.
    IMHO that article is trying to sensationalise a story when there was no need to as it was a valid story anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Sensational headline alright but from reading this thread I have to say that there was another thread on here recently where a number of people expressed their discomfort at walking the streets of Limerick day or night.

So regardless of your own feelings about it there ARE people who feel this way.

It shouldn't have to be like that for certain people. A 6 foot bloke in his twenties might not be intimidated by something that would frighten the daylights out of a pensioner or a girl on her own.

RonMexico wrote: »
    Sensational headline alright but from reading this thread I have to say that there was another thread on here recently where a number of people expressed their discomfort at walking the streets of Limerick day or night.

So regardless of your own feelings about it there ARE people who feel this way.

It shouldn't have to be like that for certain people. A 6 foot bloke in his twenties might not be intimidated by something that would frighten the daylights out of a pensioner or a girl on her own.
    But that can be said about all the towns and cities around the country. It doesn't seem to be making national news but there is a gang of youths going around Tuam the last while frightening people and beating up innocent people. Every area with a large population has its problems.
    Of course we'd be daft to ignore Limericks problems but lets keep them in proportion IMHO

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055926257

Yes but the point I was making is that it is a valid sentiment regarding walking around Limerick for some people.

Yes but the point I was making is that it is a valid sentiment regarding walking around Limerick for some people.
    That's fair enough Ron and i agree our vulnerable people shouldn't be intimidated on our streets. But why single out Limerick for that?

amiable wrote: »
    That's fair enough Ron and i agree our vulnerable people shouldn't be intimidated on our streets. But why single out Limerick for that?

I've already said that the article is ridiculous. I agree that the media go over the top in their reporting about Limerick but I also firmly believe that there is a lot of people in Limerick who have their heads in the sand regarding the genuine problems in our city.

As for the "other places are just as bad" argument. Yeah they are, my own attitude is that we have a nationwide problem of poor policing on our streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

I'm sorry but the headline is complete rubbish and lazy journalism. It's basically damning all of Limerick as this awful, horrible place.

I've lived in Limerick my entire life until I moved two years ago. I can honestly safe I feel dodgy walking any streets alone at night because I am a young woman. Even when I'm walking around super posh streets I'm a little uneasy because I'm aware that as a young female, I could be targeted.

I feel this everywhere: Limerick, Dublin, London and New York where I live.

The majority of Limerick is a nice place but there are pockets of really depressed, violent areas. But this is not a situation that is mutually exclusive to Limerick. These depressed areas are often associated with a lack of money and funding and when the entire world's wealth is disproportionate, there will always be people subjugated and kept in poverty.

I'm not saying poverty equates to depression and violence but it is a huge factor. In America so many people live below the poverty line and it is not a coincidence that the majority of poor people are the ones involved in gun crime and violence.

Limerick has become the media's b*tch, the effects are so far-reaching that even in New York when I say I'm from Limerick people make jokes about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

As for the "other places are just as bad" argument. Yeah they are, my own attitude is that we have a nationwide problem of poor policing on our streets.

Sadly this is also very few, Limerick does have some bad eggs and if anything it's a lack of fear that motivates them. When the baddies aren't scared of the police or consequences then they'll think they can get away with everything. In Ireland this is a major problem in every town.

Advertisement