Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish independent, Jim Cusack

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

When the Limerick Leader reported a statement made by a senior Garda denying the events which Mr. Cusack claimed happened at a funeral in Limerick a number of years ago, rather than say "the garda is wrong" or even "oops I got a bad source," he decided to attack the Limerick Leader accusing them of attacking him.

the man is a legend in his own tiny little mind.

Here is the story he wrote
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-avert-gun-carnage-at-funeral-1353353.html

Limerick leader reports what Garda said
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Garda-chief-slams-39wild-speculation39.4011370.jp

Mr. Cusack's letter to the Leader is not online, but can be found in the issue dated 3 May 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

When the Limerick Leader reported a statement made by a senior Garda denying the events which Mr. Cusack claimed happened at a funeral in Limerick a number of years ago, rather than say "the garda is wrong" or even "oops I got a bad source," he decided to attack the Limerick Leader accusing them of attacking him.

the man is a legend in his own tiny little mind.

Here is the story he wrote
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-avert-gun-carnage-at-funeral-1353353.html

Limerick leader reports what Garda said
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Garda-chief-slams-39wild-speculation39.4011370.jp

Mr. Cusack's letter to the Leader is not online, but can be found in the issue dated 3 May 2008.

Unfortunately the people that buy the Sindo and believe the tabloid rubbish therein probably didn't get to read the Leader.

I remember a few years back when they claimed that "one more murder and Limerick will be the murder capital"; Glasgow apparently was at the time, and since Glasgow had more, the laws of averages would have implied that it, too, was likely to have at least one more murder in the interim.

That - and other aspects of the article - prompted me to write to the Sindo (I think I posted the letter here somewhere) and they didn't publish it.

That was the last time I bought that rag, and I'm glad that chippers don't wrap chips in newspapers anymore because I'd be afraid that they'd use the Sindo and cause me to puke.

Absolute rag of the highest order, and someone should remind Jim about where his former colleague Veronica Guerin was murdered for doing her job.

Limerick has some seriously bad points, but exaggerating them wildly is what causes people to bury their head in the sand, because it allows for a comfortable and factual "it's not anywhere near as bad as that".

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

It's a very poor article by Jim Cusack, but hardly a surprise from the man who tried, single-handedly, to rewrite the entire history of the Northern conflict.

This article uses the Dalai Lama visit as a hook to hang some predigested stereotypes on. Lazy, unprofessional journalism.

It's a mystery to me how Cusack got a job in newspapers that didn't involve selling them at traffic-lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

It's a very poor article by Jim Cusack, but hardly a surprise from the man who tried, single-handedly, to rewrite the entire history of the Northern conflict.

This article uses the Dalai Lama visit as a hook to hang some predigested stereotypes on. Lazy, unprofessional journalism.

It's a mystery to me how Cusack got a job in newspapers that didn't involve selling them at traffic-lights.

always a pleasure to find myself on the same wavelength as you bock :)

Advertisement