Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sockets cutting out

Options
  • 17-01-2011 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi, I don't really know about electrical stuff in my home so thought here would be a good place to ask before I ask an electrician!

The sockets in my mothers house keeps cutting out. It seems to be the sockets in the extension as far I can tell. On the elctrical panel inside the front door theres a few switches for sockets, 3 switches and then a main one. Every time the power the sockets go off 1 of the switches and the main one go off. Can have some trouble getting them to all stay on. It's always the switch controlling the sockets in the extension that is the problem staying on.

Would there be a problem with the switchboard or the wiring in the extension? I know there might be a leak in the plumbing somewhere in the house which a plumber is looking into, if that would be any connection.

Any clues as to what might be wrong and what I can do myself?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

could be water all-right

it might take out the mcb and rcd together on a L-E short-circuit

not much you can do without a IR tester

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Any clues as to what might be wrong and what I can do myself?

RCDs are designed to trip when a faulty appliance is plugged in. It sounds like your problem from your description is an RCD. If I were you I would unplug everything in the extension and see if it will stay on then. If not the chances are it is water related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bagwell

Cheers for the replies lads.

I unplugged everything in the extension but the switch won't stay on. So I'm guessing it is water related. Up until today it would come back on for a while at least.

Is this a job for an electrician, after I get the plumbing sorted?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Well at least you know what it isn't!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

You could try screw down all the sockets in the extension, you might find where water is coming down the conduit or socket screws has nicked one of the live cables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

do you have any outside lights or external feeds from the one of the sockets in the extension to a shed or an outside socket. ive seen a few installations like this lately where ppl ahve done this and had problems with damp and water gettin into external wires and causing the board to trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

make sure immersion switch is turned off
    i know you dont think its this (do it anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sounds like a live to earth fault anyway once the MCB is tripping with the RCD(main socket breaker as you refered to it i think). Usually if its water causing this only the RCD trips knocking all the sockets off because the RCD will trip at a far smaller fault level than an MCB(extension breaker).

It could well be a nicked live in one of the socket boxes either touching a steel back box or one of the socket screws. Unscrewing all the sockets in the extension to inspect them might show you the problem, look out for any blackening of the sockets/socket boxes/wiring. If you do it yourself make sure you turn the sockets off. But a sparks would be recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i noticed recently water taking out the 2

damp will trip the rcd generally alright

Advertisement