Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a Henry Krank Rifle

Options
  • 17-01-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

hi everybody has anyone ever imported from henry krank or a firearm from england what is the prodecdure does an imporation licence take long ?
    one question i would like to ask too i noticed a lovely rifle on fingal sports .ie a perdeolsoli 50 -70 caliber black powder i was intersted to be honest about 3 years ago when i had a little cash to spent i went to my local gun dealer here in galway and he said WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO SHOOT ELEPHANTS??? YOU,ll NEVER GET A CALIBER LIKE THAT LICENSED IN IRELAND???? idid notice that it tooka blacpowder round how seriously would a shooter get a licencse for such a firearm ??? i love to here some comments thank you about the questions above

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Spliting off into its own thread.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

hi everybody has anyone ever imported from henry krank or a firearm from england what is the prodecdure does an imporation licence take long ?
    one question i would like to ask too i noticed a lovely rifle on fingal sports .ie a perdeolsoli 50 -70 caliber black powder i was intersted to be honest about 3 years ago when i had a little cash to spent i went to my local gun dealer here in galway and he said WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO SHOOT ELEPHANTS??? YOU,ll NEVER GET A CALIBER LIKE THAT LICENSED IN IRELAND???? idid notice that it tooka blacpowder round how seriously would a shooter get a licencse for such a firearm ??? i love to here some comments thank you about the questions above

It is possible to get a licence for such a calibre in this country.

While the system we have in place is marks the rifle as being a restricted catagory it simply means that youve to convince your Chief super as to why you want it.

Shooting elephants could be a reason if you are willing to go on safari... im not too sure how dublin zoo would feel about opening fire on theres :P:P

Other than that, your reasons will be that its a classic (or reproduction) of a classic) that you will use for target shooting on X range.

Also being a member of the Vintage and Classic Rifle Association of Ireland may help. There a great bunch of lads who will give you all the advice you need. I will also sing praises to John Kavanagh in Fingal guns as any dealings that Ive had with him he has be exceptional to deal with. A real stand up guy and a credit to shooting here in ireland.

http://www.vcrai.com/

Importing rifles has been covered several times here if you want to use the function.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭blackpowder

thanks gun happy i,d love to join the association in the new year sometime soon to fire a vintage rifle would one techinacally have to have a vintage rifle i have a 22. caliber henry repeater with tube load and walnut stock would that surfice as a classic rifle lol i also have a few antique muskets if and when the law on powder shooters (changes soon i hope) would i be able to license themto use on the range??????:)

thanks gun happy i,d love to join the association in the new year sometime soon to fire a vintage rifle would one techinacally have to have a vintage rifle i have a 22. caliber henry repeater with tube load and walnut stock would that surfice as a classic rifle lol i also have a few antique muskets if and when the law on powder shooters (changes soon i hope) would i be able to license themto use on the range??????:)

Im actually in the asociation myself ..... as far as im aware they are looking to start up a .22 league so anything is possible.

Yes hopefully the law will look down apon us law abiding citizens and grant us the ability to reload .... the sooner the better if you ask me !

i know where exactly you are coming from gh but i do feel there is no reason now that we should not be able to keep a 1lb of bp to shoot on the range and evenif it means holding the powder in the gardai,s or a licensed gun store to comprise and show we,re not totally crazy gun slingers its a great target sport muzzle loading its huge in england and germany .usa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

How does that work: Could you licence the rifle and then wait til blackpowder becomes available/licenceable? Or would you have to wait til the law regarding blackpowder / pyrodex might change before licencing the rifle?

This has me mightily confussed?:o:confused:

or Is this the one you were looking at?:

PedersoliSupermatchTarget45-70.jpg

Here, the 6th rifle down the page: http://www.fingalsports.com/classic.html

Is that not a Pedersoli Supermatch Target 45-70 rolling block replica? If it is the one you mean, you won't need to worry about making up your own black powder rounds, as it uses cartridge ammo AFAIK.

Hope that's of some help.
    i also have a few antique muskets

Hmmm...personally I'd be wary of firing an antique musket: Maybe get it inspected and proofed first - You never know what sort of problems an old musket will throw up and IMO it's better to find out any problems before putting your face happily behind it.
    i do feel there is no reason now that we should not be able to keep a 1lb of bp

Other than the law, that is.
    100% agree that we should all be treated like adults - but until things change for the better of that front, we're stuck with the law's we have.

dCorbus wrote: »
    How does that work: Could you licence the rifle and then wait til blackpowder becomes available/licenceable? Or would you have to wait til the law regarding blackpowder / pyrodex might change before licencing the rifle?

This has me mightily confussed?:o:confused:

or Is this the one you were looking at?:

PedersoliSupermatchTarget45-70.jpg

Here, the 6th rifle down the page: http://www.fingalsports.com/classic.html

Is that not a Pedersoli Supermatch Target 45-70 rolling block replica? If it is the one you mean, you won't need to worry about making up your own black powder rounds, as it uses cartridge ammo AFAIK.

Hope that's of some help.

Hmmm...personally I'd be wary of firing an antique musket: Maybe get it inspected and proofed first - You never know what sort of problems an old musket will throw up and IMO it's better to find out any problems before putting your face happily behind it.

Other than the law, that is.
    100% agree that we should all be treated like adults - but until things change for the better of that front, we're stuck with the law's we have.

I wont mention names ... but I know smoe1 who has 1 of those bad boys licenced :)

as far as i know the 50 -70 goverment issue was used in the 1860,s and 1870,s by buffalo hunters just after the american civil war i,m sure sharps were the first rifle designed for sush a large caliber the usa cavalry had springfield single shot carbines where most indians prided on owning a henry 44.calibreusually from trade most ordinary settlers in thewest had just the 12 gauge shotgun

no i,d stick with a reprodutction musket as you say a musket rifled thats 150 years or so thats antique would be very dicey to fire i,m sure when the explosive laws change you will see shooting outlets selling modern reproductions here too like in england

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Lads and ladies.
    Dont let age put you off firing a gun!!There are plenty of Purdys,Holland&Holland and others out there that started their lives off a century and more ago proably still being proofed in black powder and then re proofed in nitro.So long as the gun is sound mechanically and you dont expect more of it than it can deliver in capability.It will be fine.
    IOW treat as a vintage car,out for the Sunday drive,not the day to day commuter.
    There are regular old timer shoots in the US,where it is only BP originals being shot,no repros at all.Ditto,some professional "white hunters" in Africa are still using huge old BP calibre SXS guns well over a century old,and they would have a hard life behind them.
    Only thing that should put you off is the historical and monetary value of such a gun.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

One pound of power is probably about 3 shots with one of those :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Very close Civ.Some were known a" four to the pound" gun.
    Fredrick Selous used a chopped down single shot four bore punt gun for most of his elephant hunting career.

Biggest I've ever seen was a Rodda 4bore double barrel rifle.I'm not surprised you had a "gun boy " to carry this yoke,somthing like 14 lb weight.You'd be so knackerd that you would be hardly to lift this monster when a prize tusker was bearing down at you.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

civdef wrote: »
    One pound of power is probably about 3 shots with one of those :)

AFAIK the 50/70 round meant that the bullet is .50 calibre over 70 grains of powder. As there is 7000 grains in a pound, you would get 100 rounds from a pound of BP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hi Blackpowder,

No need to type in capital letters, online it's considered shouting. Please turn off your caps lock and type as normal.

Thanks,

John.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

All reloading related posts have been moved to the Reloading Thread currently running on the main shooting forum.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SAKO_FTR

This is the Pedersoli Rolling Block Supermatch rifle in 45-70
    s870a%20(1).jpg
    It's a Breach loading "Rolling block" Creedmore rifle. Pedersoli Web-site
    I wont mention names ... but I know smoe1 who has 1 of those bad boys licenced

Seen the chap firing it on the range, lovely rifle.

Advertisement