Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc computer Science

Options
  • 17-01-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi Guys,

Just looking for some feedback on the difference between doing and MSc in an Institute of Technology, and UCD or Trinity.

Is one percieved as better than another or does it matter as long as its a Masters.

Does institute snobbery exist and does it affect your career.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

I've done my masters in an Institute of Technology and have found it great. The computing facilities were excellent and the majority of the lecturers teach their subjects well. I suppose there can be a degree of snobbery when it comes to getting a job and some employers may value a university of an IT but I feel well equipped to go out and get a job having had a great mixture of theory and practical assignments over the last few years. I also know others who have graduated before me who have gone on to get good jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mono627

Did an internship as a software engineer a while back and the impression I got off the hiring engineers was that they didn't really care where I came from, they mainly cared about how competent I was.

In saying that, they recruited quite a bit from DCU (where I did my undergrad).

In general though, I always got the impression that software development was an industry with very little snobbery. Others may have different experiences though.

Advertisement