Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking pipe under sink

• 17-01-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

As i said i have a leaking pipe under the sink where the washing machine is Td off the cold water tap in pipe, its a copper pipe and a copper T join that is leaking, i know exactly where it is, just wondering is this a job for a plumber or could i do it myself ? Im pretty handy just not sure if this joint may have been glued/saldered etc

any help or advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Hi,

Get 2 adjustable spanners and try to tighten the nuts on either side of the tee and the side to the W/M it may work if not it may need to be resealed with PTFE. I can advise no now to do it if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭futurefarmer

I tried to tighten the nuts with vice grips but they barely moved and didnt improve the situation unfortunately !

You will have to open the fittings (turn off your water first) when you open the fitting you will need to put PTFE tape around the olive inside the nut then put it back together, tighten well. Where are you based?

Ptfe tape is ? and around the olive ? sry new terms lol
    Im in west Clare i know its only a small job just annoying

Sorry, not thinking :)

If you go to any plumbers suppliers or hardware and ask for a roll of PTFE Tape they will give it to you (should be no more than about €3). When you open the pipe and slide up the nut you will see what looks like a bulge on the pipe this is called an olive it prevents the nut sliding off the pipe wrap the tape tightly aroung the olive and refit the pipe to the tee. Tighten it well, should work for you. Just make sure you have your water turned off first.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, will i need to replace the T connection 2 ?

No should be OK.......

Thanks for all the help i will try that,
    Cheers again

Advertisement