Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted break ins, cars broken into and general security

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

a lot of broken glass across a couple of parking spaces at the south beach car park at the weekend, looked like a row of cars broken into or smashed for the hell of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

yes there was another post on it.

5 cars and 3 shops had their windows smashed on friday night i think.

they arrested some lad in charlesland park for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I'd say a bit of A a bit of B, I know when our house was broken into 18months ago, my laptop turned up in gorey.

Was at home today before i went to college and there was 2 men going around the estate ringing door bells and looking in windows, the bf opened the door when he noticed them and they came up with some story about looking for a lost dog, they def werent locals, had northside accents

While they may not be local, and may well have been up to no good, there are no doubt, plenty of people who have moved to Greystones in recent years with "northside accents" as you put it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Folks while not from your area, I saw the thread pop up on the main page. No house is 100% but what you want to do is make your house as less desirable as possible to a burglar.

I assume that there is a mix of house and apartments but the first thing is to get a monitred alarm system. If you don't want to pay for the monitoring then you can easily get an alarm that will ring you when it goes off so you have instant notification.

If you have a garden the make sure the sidegates are padlocked from the inside and that there are no low lying walls that are easy to slip over. Its not to say a 6 foot wall will keep somebody out but it again is less desirable for a thief. Also in the back garden get one or two PIR lights. I find the best ones are the type that give a constant low light, say 30w, when not active but switch to the full 300w if somebody walks in its beam. With the low light on it can show a burglar that the PIR is real and working.

Lastly the front door. A good 5 lever mortice deadlock along with a standard nightlatch is a minimum. For the inside I would recommend a door chain along with a spyhole. Lastly there is a bolt which can be fitted to stop your door from being lifed off its hinges, and is fitted in the frame on the same side of the hinges. Its not that common in domestic homes but if possible to fit on your type of door then get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Swanner wrote: »
    While they may not be local, and may well have been up to no good, there are no doubt, plenty of people who have moved to Greystones in recent years with "northside accents" as you put it.

Thats true but i doubt they would be ringing doorbells and looking in peoples windows at 8.30am. I can understand ringing doorbells when your looking for a missing dog, but looking in peoples windows is taking it a bit far dont you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Did he ring the gardai and report them??? Or just let them go in their merry way?

We did ring the station in greystones and I popped into a neighbour who is a Garda on the way for the bus, but ive no idea if a car was sent or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

**more neighbours like you required in charlesland :)

Advertisement