Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricted or Unrestricted ~ Newbie question

Options
  • 17-01-2011 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

I was talking to a guy at a range over the weekend. We got to comparing Licenses...as you do. (Don't ask ) :rolleyes:

It transpires that he has a Restricted license (So he said). I don't. We both have the same calibre in .308 but different makes. His is a semi-auto, mine is a bolt action

I could see no decernable difference between his License and mine to state wether or not one was restricted or not. Why?

If he had to go through getting a restricted License you'd expect it to be made of Gold and Blareing out the words Restricted!!.. but no. It looked as plain as mine.

How would a Garda know on a cursory look?

Cheers for reading :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The signature on the card (or more to the point, the title of the guy signing it) should differentiate between the two...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It should say "restricted firearms cerftificate" on the front of it.

If it does not then it is not a restricted firearms cert, and warrants getting checked. regardless of how the mistake was made the firearm itself is a restricted firearm thereby it requires a restricted cert.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Maybe the last line that says "Restricted Firearm Certificate No:
    "

Sparks, do you get your license personally signed, not like the unwashed masses?, as opposed to the grant letter.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 AKA_MADNESS

Sparks wrote: »
    The signature on the card (or more to the point, the title of the guy signing it) should differentiate between the two...

Thanks Sparks..
    I hade to go look at my License again to be sure (The Plastic one we carry). The Actual License doesn't have any signatures. On the surface of things My License would look just like my friends.

I guess Im right in thinking that both a restricted and Un-restricted Licenses we have, dont reflect if they are Restricted or not. Strange dont you think?....

I know its a mute point. I thought it was an interesting anomoly considering it would take a Garda some time to find out (The hard way) instead of the info being readily available on the Carry License.
    Thanks for the feedback

Ezridax wrote: »
    It should say "restricted firearms cerftificate" on the front of it.

If it does not then it is not a restricted firearms cert, and warrants getting checked. regardless of how the mistake was made the firearm itself is a restricted firearm thereby it requires a restricted cert.

Thanks for that. I must have missed that. Next time I see him I'll ask to see it. If it is a mistake. I'll advise him to get it checked...:)

• Advertisement

Maybe the last line that says "Restricted Firearm Certificate No:
    "

Sparks, do you get your license personally signed, not like the unwashed masses?, as opposed to the grant letter.

Yes maybe :)
    Its possible it did. It didn't stand out. I'll look more carefully next time I see him :)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

In practice, a Garda doesn't usually need to know whether a firearm is restricted or not. The main differences between restricted/non-restricted are a) the application process and b) the penalties for the offences.

The serial numbers would prevent you from swapping a restricted and non-restricted variant of the same firearm and that is pretty clear on the license.

IRLConor wrote: »
    In practice, a Garda doesn't usually need to know whether a firearm is restricted or not. The main differences between restricted/non-restricted are a) the application process and b) the penalties for the offences.

The serial numbers would prevent you from swapping a restricted and non-restricted variant of the same firearm and that is pretty clear on the license.

Thanks for that
    I thought it just strange and a conversation piece. It is something I would have expected to stand out on a License, if only for inspection purposes.. Thanks for your input :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Both myself and my Father have restricted firearms and our licenses state on the front .........

"Restricted Firearms Certificate No: XXXXXXXX".

It could be a number of factors.

Your friend may have ticked "firearms certificate" on his FCA1 instead of "Restricted Certificate".
    It could have been processed as a non restricted by the Gardai.

As mentioned though whatever the case the fact is your mate should ring his station and ask the FO to check on PULSE whether it is down as a restricted or not. If it is on PULSE as restricted then request a reprint with this printed on the front. If its not get an FCA2, use the amendment section and get into your FO and go through it with him/her and have a new license printed reflecting that it is a restricted firearm.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Ezridax wrote: »
    Both myself and my Father have restricted firearms and our licenses state on the front .........

"Restricted Firearms Certificate No: XXXXXXXX".

It could be a number of factors.

Your friend may have ticked "firearms certificate" on his FCA1 instead of "Restricted Certificate".
    It could have been processed as a non restricted by the Gardai.

As mentioned though whatever the case the fact is your mate should ring his station and ask the FO to check on PULSE whether it is down as a restricted or not. If it is on PULSE as restricted then request a reprint with this printed on the front. If its not get an FCA2, use the amendment section and get into your FO and go through it with him/her and have a new license printed reflecting that it is a restricted firearm.

Thanks. Thats a very good point. I'll be sure to tell him. You never know this conversation may just save him future hassle!.. There is nothing like getting it from the Horses mouth! :) if you know what I mean.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Whoops, yes, my bad (my licence is signed - there was a misprint on it and the local chap signed a note on the back of the licence letter (I never removed the plastic bit from the letter) to say the misprint was just that, because I was heading to Finland with the rifle three days later).

Advertisement