Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking at a Dlink Dir-655 for wireless N and Gig ethernet on upc - anything better?

Options
  • 17-01-2011 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Heya Folks,

I've got upc broadband in the house with a netgear wireless router (G I think). I've got a pc, dlink dns-323 external raid as a media drive and a ps3 in the room downstairs and slightly to the left of where the wifi router is and I'm finding that I'm not getting good enough speeds at the minute to stream a lot of content via the ps3 - it's very choppy / glitchy and the ps3 is reporting that it's getting less than 1 meg a second for the video through put. I presume in this case that my wireless isn't good enough, and I'd also like to have a faster router for transferring large files across between the pc / Media drive / future things. The Dlink dir - 655 seems to tick all the boxes in that it's wireless n, and has the 4 port gigabit router built in for my systems. Since it's about 3/4 years old however I was wondering is there anything better out there with similar specs? Has anyone got one of these on upc and how has your experience been of it?

Cheers for any thoughts folks!

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Are you connecting the PS3 wirelessly? If so, I think it only has a 802.11g card built in.

First you should look at your wifi devices and see what they support. Not just if they support wireless n, but also are they 150Mbps, 300Mbps, do they support the 5GHz band etc. That will help you decide what features you want from a router.

Also find out what kind of speeds your NAS is capable of - according to the Cnet review it only did 55/42 Mbps write/read. So I don't think going to a gigabit router will give you better wired transfers to or from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

Fair point actually - I'll do a few benchmarks over the weekend. Would the n router give me a longer reach to a g based device in this case? Even if it can't use the extra bandwidth would it give me a stronger signal and improve the connection quality slightly?

Cheers for the response!

Advertisement