If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.1 for bedroom

Options
  • 17-01-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a compact 5.1 system for my father that would suit a bedroom. The main issues are space and budget :)

Nearly all subwoofers I have seen are just waaay too big and really since it is an upstairs bedroom they all seem like overkill.
    Any suggestions ? Just looking for something that will perform adequately.

Budget is pretty tight at €400

thanks

davej

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

davej wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for a compact 5.1 system for my father that would suit a bedroom. The main issues are space and budget :)

Nearly all subwoofers I have seen are just waaay too big and really since it is an upstairs bedroom they all seem like overkill.
    Any suggestions ? Just looking for something that will perform adequately.

Budget is pretty tight at €400

thanks

davej

The main issues are space & budget....Story of my life :D

Apologies for answering a question with a question but do you need the whole system (including AMP/DVD) or just the speakers?

If it's the whole system - I have a (very) few of the Pioneer DCS585 system left to clear at £129.95 http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/42/100/42/DCS-585/index.html (It should be W A Y more expensive so we would happily charge you €400 if that would make you feel better :p).

If yuo want seriously compact and are happy to compromise for a seriously excellent 2.1 system I would recommend the excellent Onkyo HTX22HDx - a reallys super unit - just add a blue ray and you are away - £229.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/onkyo/htx22hdx/onky-htx22hdx-blk

If it's just speakers that you are after - here are a few compact favourites:
    Tannoy SFX 5.1 - around now for a couple of years - ongoing all this year and still untouchable at £199.95 http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/tannoy/sfx5.1/tann-sfx5.1-blk

...Or if you can take a slightly larger speaker the Boardies fave seems to be the Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 at £399.95 which features the excellent and serously compact VW8 subwoofer http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/vector

Thanks again and please keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. Already have a blu ray player but need an amp and speakers.

I've been checking out the HTX22HDX and it looks almost exactly what I'm looking for. I see it's possible to upgrade the system to 5.1 with the SKS22X package.

Can I get a quote for the HTX22HDX + SKS22X + delivery to Dublin ?

Thanks

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Hey guys - just giving this thread a little bump :)

Would be interested in above package if available ?

thanks

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Hi John, Can you check your PM for one Pioneer request. Thanks

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.