Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to a concrete driveway?

• 17-01-2011 10:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Whats a nice alternative to a concrete driveway??

Im looking at having the front and side driveway dug up soon and having something a bit nicer looking put down instead.

Can you get some shingle/coloured shale or limestone style stone chippings that can be put down,but will hold in place with a whacker plate??

I dont want the loose pea gravel style of driveway,as the cars and jeep will just leave big tyre marks and tracks in it.

I dont want concrete,tarmacadam or that black inprint stuff for a driveway.

So,any ideas??

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Adrians1

It would be difficult to have any chip style to stay in place. As you know the chip will eventually more around due to the traffic. I just completed a brick drive way with a nice gravel edging. Looks good but is a little expensive. There is also the concrete matting but that is expensive also. I suppose a lot comes down to budget but gravel or chip while nice at the start does deteriorate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Granite cobbles, paving bricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Exposed aggregate concrete can look really nice if the right aggregate and tradesmen are used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I know several tradesmen I would love to embed in concrete - never thought of that - what a great idea!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cannyfradock

Paddy

If you already have concrete laid....have you thought about "clay pavers" these look really impressive and can be laid to existing concrete (using exterior tile adhesive). I have not so long ago completed such a job using these clay pavers on concrete. .....have a look...

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikelyonstiling/DrivewayInClayPavingWwwLyonsflooringUkCom

Terry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

Paddy

If you already have concrete laid....have you thought about "clay pavers" these look really impressive and can be laid to existing concrete (using exterior tile adhesive). I have not so long ago completed such a job using these clay pavers on concrete. .....have a look...

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikelyonstiling/DrivewayInClayPavingWwwLyonsflooringUkCom

Terry

Hi Terry,
    Is this very expensive. What about cleaning them, for instance can I powerhose them. Will they keep their colour, I ask because I have coloured slabs in my back patio area and when I powerhosed them last summer they lost their most of their colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cannyfradock

Starlight09

The clay paver's were about £25 per m2. We bought them from http://www.ruabonsales.co.uk/clay-pavers.htm . The customer wanted something different/special which wouldn't fade and could take the weight of any vehicle...... you can do what you want with them....even drive lorries over them and they will never fade or break......that's why they are so pricey.

Most coloured slabs will quickly lose their colour. The only maker of concrete pavers or slabs who guarantee's against colour fading that I know of is the "Marshall's" range.

Hope that is of some help to you....

Terry

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

Thank you Terry so much. That was indeed very helpful. I must check out that website right away

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

Have you thought stone carpet? It works indoors or outdoors although most of the pics online are indoors. I think a more natural colour would look fantastic on a driveway.

I don't know what the price is like but it looks a bit like loose chips but they are very firmly in place!

Advertisement